1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Between Shots During A Round - Your Routine?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigBadBob, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Show no emotion if I hit or missed target, keep eyes focused down-range (quiet eye) , reload but not close gun till my turn, watch other squad members targets. Above all, stay focused on task.
    Mount and repeat when my turn.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I look at the scenery until I hear "Pull" to my left, then close, mount, focus and call.

Trying to maintain continuous concentration for a whole round is counter-productive and will wear you out!

Keller

3. lboh

lboh Member

not sure what happened to my original text, but that was the question

1)watch every other bird and shot 2) watch the couple before 3) look at scenery and wait for person to left and then get ready to.

I think I am losing 1-2 birds a round after starting to watch each and every bird out of the house from a loss of concentration as the day progresses.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Nothing, I don't think or have a routine ... When I'm shooting I don't think about anything, but watch the other shooters targets ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I mostly pay a little attention to the wind, and how the birds are flying, dancing, rising, dropping, etc. I don't pay any attention to how anyone is shooting.

6. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I feel it is my responsibility to watch the other targets. I was in a situation last year where a young scorekeeper called several good breaks as lost targets. I realized that she was writing or flinching and was seeing targets fly on the next trap when she looked up. If I had been watching closely I could have saved another shooter two targets, and if the other shooters had been watching, they could have saved me one! Martinpicker

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Between shots, I relax by watching every target possible for any changes mother nature wants to impose. A shifting breeze direction (front to back) can eat your lunch if it affects targets heights. My concentration doesn't begin till I see what I call for, angle, height and eye intensity on the target launched. Total concentration time is probably less than a half second or so. Even so, that's tough to do 100 times!

Hap

8. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I study the grass until the shooter before me readies. Then I focus intently on his target leaving the house, but not his shot unless he's very fast. It's a practice run for my own turn and sometimes gives me a headsup that I wasn't properly prepared. It's a carryover from sporting clays where I may have to shoot 8 in a row and focusing hard on the last shooter's last target is sorta like taking a practice shot where I can learn a lot without affecting my score.

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

if I'm on a good run I think about my dog. It's sort of a mental excercise that occupies my thoughts and keeps me from counter productive thinking and getting too hyped up. I just picture his face and mannerisms and let the gun do the hard stuff. Bill

k4wma thanked this.
  10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I eject, put another round in the chamber(s) and then watch the targets for any variation, especially in doubles where I often shoot post 1.

11. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

I send negative waves to my kid - so I can occasionally beat him

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I just mostly stand there thinking about the cute young thing keeping score and about how my back aches and my feet hurt.

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I'm usually thinking - I could be home in the AC drinking beer and watching the ballgame instead of paying to do this crap.

14. JES

JES Member

Deep breathing, good for the eyes and calms any nerves.

15. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

I say the Lord's Prayer (and others) over and over and over till its my turn to shoot...it helps my breathing, concentration, focus and calms my mind. And who knows, maybeee I get an extra chip here and there.

16. LFT687

LFT687 Member

I stand without moving my feet with my gun open with a shell in it. I watch every target for every shooter following the bird with my eyes and sometimes my head. I occaisionally forget to breathe. That's when things start to get interesting.

17. coyote1234

coyote1234 Member

Focus

Eyes to the target, gun to your eyes

Damn, that trophy will look good at my place

Crap, Damn, SOB, Stupid.

Where am I shooting next week?

Focus

Eyes to the target, gun to the eyes

18. alf174

alf174 Member

"What will I have for lunch?"

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I daydream about the days of sipping cold beer between shots....

Life was just so much more fun when I had 4 vices going at the same time...none now (damned old age)!!

Curt

20. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

4 vices...hmmm. let's see...booze, nicotine, caffeine? and what...sex? illegal drugs? Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.