1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Young Shooters?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dewnys, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dewnys

Dewnys TS Member

We all talk about the "big dogs" like Leo, Kay, Harlan, etc. One thing that I noticed about them is that they all are older. When you see most other sports, they are dominated by the younger generation. ie golf, tennis and nascar. Why aren't there more top young shooters competing and beating these big dogs?

2. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Leo kicked ass when he was young. He was one of the few young prodigies who stuck around and made good as an adult.

Harlan isn't that old, and has been winning a long time.

CTC was won last year by a Junior.

There's plenty of examples...they just have to go to school sometimes, whereas Kay or Harlan might be at Vegas or Silver Dollar at the time.

3. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

They mostly take the category trophies because of the AA points. They are every bit as good as the good shooters. Look at the covers of some of the recent trap and fields and you will see at least 3 or 4 VERY young shooters that have won a major handicap event.

Heck, for that matter there are several young shooters on this very website that will be in the top tier when they get a little older.

I attribute it to video games. Very good eye sight and good hand/eye coordination. Especially the shorter ones. They have all sky background lol. Well, that and they don't know that it is difficult yet lol.

John

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Why aren't there more top young shooters competing and beating these big dogs?

It's coming.

Have you taken a look at the All American teams - the talent on the junior and sub-junior teams is very impressive. i've watched a few of the local kids and they can hang with the big dogs.......need a few more years of experience but if they continue to dedicate themselves to the shooting sports they'll be a force to deal with when they hit their twenties.

And that's just the kids that make the teams - there is a whole slew of shooters that do not shoot enough big events to qualify. Some of those kids are every bit the equal of the All Americans in talent.

Then again some of the best young shooters get syphoned off into the international shooting arena and they don't shoot american trap. you want to see talent - go watch the men's and women's junior olympic development team. now that is a quality group of young men and women and they can shoot lights out - all vying for the honor of representing their country in the olympics - some kids have a BIG dream.

I invite others to throw out some of the names of talented young shooters to watch and I'll give a few of the ones from my own backyard.
    Zach Zanolini, Drew Premock, Billy Slayne, Luke Miller, Evan Fine, Daniel Tate, Matt Hoffman. My apologies to those I've omitted, but I've personally watched each one of these kids shoot and I'm always impressed with their skill.

You put a squad of those kids together and they'll be very competitive in any event regardless of who they're up against.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Who cares? They will all stop shooting when their daddy quits paying for the sport. They come and go depending on how much and how long daddy keeps foot'in the bill.

6. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Did you ever meet Dustin Klein?

jim brown

7. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Kross Mccarty will be there. He is shooting very well. From the great State of Texas. Won the State singles with 200 straight and 100 straight in the shoot-off. Watch for him. He is 12 yrs. of age.

8. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Kross Mccarty will be there. He is shooting very well. From the great State of Texas. Won the State singles with 200 straight and 100 straight in the shoot-off. Watch for him. He is 12 yrs. of age.

9. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

I had the privilege of shooting with Colten Kant at the Grand on preliminary thursday morning. We shot the singles, i broke a 98 and was pleased with that since the wind was blowing a good bit from the northwest. Right next to was was Colten who just Crushed a perfect 100, didnt even know who he was til after we had finished. Not only a Great young shooter(won the spring grand handicap) but also a perfect young Gentleman.

I really hope he continues to shoot.

10. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

girls are what take most young shooters away from the sport. my 2 older sons were not going to be all americans but when they got thier drivers license's i never saw them at the trap range again,they were out chasing girls.nothing wrong with chasing girls mind you but i wish my sons would have kept shooting.

11. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

shot410ga.....another bitter, cynical idiot that fails to see the big picture. you and all your cronies are so jealous of these young kids it makes me laugh every time i see another one of you get on your soapbox and cry foul because these kids are supported by their parents. the kids i mentioned above are already elite shooters, they shoot thousands, some even tens of thousands of rounds per year. great kids and great families committed to the sport. if they take a break during their college years or the early years in their career development i highly suspect they will be back shooting again and i doubt they would quit altogether, probably just cutback on the total rounds they shoot.

we now have 10,000 kids in sctp. all of them are creeping up on you. all of them spending money in the sport to promote trapshooting and clay sports. all of them helping to keep clubs open, buy ammo, guns, travel to events etc. etc. 1600 of them shot in the sctp national championship at sparta this year - that's almost 50% of the entries into the GAH.

AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM (AND THEIR PARENTS) IS A GUN ADVOCATE.

when are you naysayers going to wake up?

embrace the youth movement - they are the cronies of tomorrow. forget about teaching them how to shoot, they already know how, teach them dominoes or penuchle so if the future when they're sitting around the back room of the club whining about the demise of the sport and the brat kids taking over they'll have something to do.

12. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Just go to the ATA's website and look at the all american standings for juniors and sub juniors, there are lots of good youth shooters.

I am a junior shooter, and I have no plans of quitting. After my parents stop helping to pay for me to shoot I will probaly cut back for a while, but there is no way I will quit.

13. 10 Ring

10 Ring TS Member

shot410ga,

I started shooting registered targets 8 years ago when I was 16 and I admit my shooting was almost completely funded by my parents. Since then, I have graduated from college and have a full-time job. I never stopped shooting and I am more involved in registered shooting than I ever have been. Oh, and I am funding all of my shooting now.

It may not be common for junior shooters to keep shooting into their early 20's but I am not an exception to the rule around SW Wisconsin. Many of the junior shooters I shot with years ago still shoot, several of which are life members of the ATA. And with the help of the SCTP, I believe more young shooters will stay active in the ATA after they are out of Junior category.

Respectfully,

Jay Adams

WI Delegate

14. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

Check the averages of the young shooters, you will find some of them are very competitive. The Junior and sub juniors are all very competitive within their own category. Many times at shoots the sub junior scores are even higher than the juniors....

Dusty Klein and Derek Stringer, both are pretty darn good new to the ranks of the men. I will also mention here a young man by the name of Foster Barthalow who is an excellent shooter, also new to the mens category.

Some of this young talent will not have the money it takes to make the AA team, I agree.....and unfortunately with the cost of everything, some will have to slow down, but it makes them no less talented.

there are too many good junior shooters to mention here as well as sub juniors. On any given day, any one of them will be the winner. As with the big dogs, there are a few that are consistent and you see their names and faces pretty regularly.

As you will hear me say at shoots and regularly, the score does not make the shooter to me.....it is their integrity and their display of good sportsmanship that makes the shooter. All kids fail at this from time to time, but they are developing their character and winning and losing builds character...sometimes tough lessons to learn for young ones so competitive in nature. congratulations to all of the young shooters we know. It was a great 2007.

Lorna

15. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Enter "Lindenwood University" in the search engine of your choice and check out the shooting team. These kids are kicking butt in the clay target games. There is a good article on the program in this month's NRA First Freedom magazine. It appears that these are quality kids in a quality program/university. shot410ga; why so bitter?

16. HANGFIRE

HANGFIRE Member

I bet he's bitter caus he got his ass kicked by one or two of these 10,000 kids in sctp.

17. jimsw

jimsw Member

How about Seth Politi from Massachusetts. Seth was team captain of the 2007 sub junior All American team. His averages were: 16 yds 98.0, handicap 90.7 (27 yds), doubles 94.86. I think any of us would like to have those numbers on our card. Seth didn't shoot ATA this year he is off learning the bunker game.

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Respectfully, you might not like what 410 said, but you can't discount it either. For every kid who says "I'll stick with it" - there are 100s who haven't.

Trap is a sport of experience and dedication to consistency... adults have a hard time sticking to it, so how can you expect the young people to compete, when they haven't developed either?

Jay

19. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Some of you have said "there are young shooters who will be at the top in a few years..." I think that's the point of the OP: why does it take years for young shooters to rise to the top (and then they aren't young any more!!) when all other sports are dominated by young athletes?

I think Jay hit it. Trap shooting isn't about physical strength, endurance, or reflexes. It's about patience, timing, and perserverance (and money!)...all non-physical abilities. Shooting is a mental game, and the mental part is the last thing to go.

20. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Every time a new "young shooter" steps to the line, whether they have shot before or not, makes them a winner. I hope there is another 10,000 in the next few years. They are all on the top of my list. Well done!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.