1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best wrap around shooting glasses?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aussie Dan, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Hi,

I was wondering what you guys would recommend for a wrap around type shooting glasses?

I have an old pair of Tasco with fixed lenses that I love dearly in a light pink lens, but I have had them for 15 years and they have a few marks etc now and are looking a little worst for wear.

We have Pilla brand here but they are rediculous in price, there's also beretta that make a good set with blinkers that dont look too bad.

What other options, Rudy project I found on the web but have never seen them here in Aus.

Recommendations?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Pilla ..

3. pjbosh

pjbosh Member

Randolph Engineering, Ranger XLW series, just bought a pair and they fit really well. Bayonet style ear piece holds in place like a pair of sunglasses and wont hook around your ear.

4. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

rudy project...

I have the Rydon with an RX insert. I find the Laser Orange and Lazer Red to work the best for contrast in bright conditions...

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/sport-shooting-sunglasses.php

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Oakley also makes some very nice wrap around shooting glasses.

This lense was posted on here quite sometime back. I believe they had taken a direct shot to the lense from a shotshell and stopped all the pellets. Despite what it looks like, there were no pass thru's. It impressed me. I posted a link to that thread up above that explains it all.
    [​IMG]

6. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Checked the Randolph and Rudy projects, I was hoping to get something with less frame around the bridge of the noze, probably more like the oakleys.

Where is the cheapest online for Pilla pricing?

The Oakley with persimmons lens look good too.

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Pilla dealer's are required to sell for list price, so if you want to pay less you need to buy used or have a friend who sells them and will hook you up.

8. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Thanks skeet man but the Pilla panthers are around $700 US to buy here in Aus!

9. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

There are a few different styles of Pillas for sale right now on this forum, fairly reasonable. Don't know if it would be worth shipping to you down under or not.

Rod

10. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

11. Lawman214

Lawman214 TS Member

If you are looking for respectable eye protection without having to give up food for a couple weeks to afford them, take a look at the lineup from ESS (www.esseyepro.com). The ESS Ice shields have been issued to U.S. Marines sent over to the sandbox, and are in regular use by lots of law enforcement types. ESS is a division of Oakley, and their stuff is very well made. You can typically find a selection of them on eBay very reasonable. By that, I mean that you can get a setup with two sets of frames, three lenses, case and other accessories and get change from a $100 bill. They also have the Rx adapters available (I have a contact that carries the Rx adapters, and can have the prescription lenses made for less than $50). No, I don't work for ESS, but I've been using their shields for some time now with no regrets.

12. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Ranger just came out with a new frames in a wraparound style I just purchased a pair at the Dixie shoot in FL very light and come with the wraparound ear stems or the straight stems. Worth a look as they were 160.00 with out prescription

13. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Oakley ebay

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Pilla/Hidefspex are the best for many reasons. Their actually ballistic glass that will take a hit if need be. I've seen Demo's of these lenses being bent in half with no damage. But the biggest difference is the clarity of the lens.
    I took four different pairs of shooting glasses(Pilla, Oakly, Randolp and Dycot) to the optomitrist and one by one put them in front of the eye chart projector. You should see the distortion in all of those lenses except Pilla. Super clear ballistic glass. What's the number one factor in shooting Trap? Vision. Dave T.

15. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

I've used Sunbusters for a couple of years with the RX inserts. A set of lifetime warranty frames plus 5 sets of various colored lenses can be purchased online for a little under $100. The RX insert is an additional $100, and is interchangeable with all lenses.

I won a set of Pilla glasses (5 lenses plus frames) at a sporting shoot last summer. Retail if I had purchased them was over $700, with the RX insert running an additional $250. For the extra money, it is total marketing bullshit. You can't get blinders to fit them for trap, except for one model(Puma) that has available clip-ons that are way too small. Pilla is an OK shooting glass, but not for that kind of money.

16. chipking

chipking TS Member

Beretta shields are very good wraparounds at a minimal cost. They also have a set with plastic earpieces that wrap but I don't know the name. Both are very reasonable and they do come in a persimmon which worked well for my eyes. My preferences but much more expensive are the Randolph Engineering XLWs but they are not true wraps and the Rudy Project Genetyk which are wraps.

--- Chip King ---

17. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

The new Randolph wraparound is the best for me the big difference is the lenses buy quality American ground lenses it is worth the extra cost a much superior lens. Most of the eyeglass vendors are using cheap lenses made in China my advice is ask them where the lenses are made and get a hi quality lens made in America.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta prescription insert for shooting glasses
beretta wrap around glasses
best shooting glasses for sporting clays under 100

best trap shooting glasses

wrap around prescription shooting glasses

wrap around shooting glasses

wraparound pistol shooting glasses
wraps shooting glasses