1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Wood Refinisher?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coveybuster, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Who is the best wood refinisher in the midwest / Mississippi-Ohio Valley area? I have a 687 Beretta with the oil finish that I want changed to gloss.

2. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

Thats an "EASY" question. Dennis DeVault. His work is all over this site. Check it out.

3. max trap

max trap Member

Devault

4. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

For me, Dennis DeVault. He has done several for me with great results. No tint to his finish, you get the true colors of the wood. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for and he's in your area.

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Whats the approximate cost?

6. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

coveybuster As the above threads state Dennis Devault the workmanship of everyone in the shop plus the excellent hands of his wife Cindy with the checkering they are the one for you're wood refinishing needs.My wood and Infinity is at the shop right now and they will be starting on it and I just can't wait to see the finnished product it will be shown. Pat.k. His # 330-456-6070 call him you will be satisfied .

7. Texas Trap Shooter

Texas Trap Shooter Member

HIGHLY recomend Dennis DeVault. He just refinished my Perazzi MX3 Special Combo and I am extremely satisfied. You can see pictures of his work on my gun on his online site.

Ron Schroer -
    Sun City, Texas

8. Big Oak

Big Oak TS Member

I have only been following this forum for a few weeks, quite entertaining. Have learned alot reading the different threads. I haven't had anything worthy to add till now.

There is a man that posts on here occasionally that goes by high2 his name is Larry Garroutte and is located in northwest Ok. Stockmaking /refinishing has been his livelyhood for several years. Has worked mostly with skeet shooters but is trying to branch-out. His company is Cor-Kel Arms. Website is corkelarms.com (sorry I don't know how to link). He does excellent work, his fit and finishes are second to none.

I will contact him and have him put some pictures on here. Orlie King

9. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

10. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

So guys...let me ask...with all due respect to Dennis, I believe the stocks of his I have seen posted are all poly finishes as you would expect most commonly on competition guns....as is the one shown above as done from Cor-Kel Arms.

The original poster is looking for an oil finish...I'm assuming he really means a hand sanded in oil finish.

Does Mr. DeVault do oil finishes (Dennis...you here?)

Thanks

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Baron23.... Read the post again.....He wants to go from an oil finish to a high gloss finish... Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Do you want a high-gloss OIL finish like the one on my 687? Call Paul Altland at the Timberland Stock Shop, Hanover, PA - (717) 637-4978.

Ed

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Interesting thread

regards from Iowa

Gene

14. Baron23

Trap2 - you are absolutely right...I missed that entirely.

Now I don't know what kind of high gloss finish he wants....a glossy oil or way more likely a poly finish. I also wonder, without offense to the original poster, when this is a real oil finish currently on it or just a matte poly finish.

Average Ed - Good to know there is a stock maker in Hanover, PA as I live in Maryland and that's not too darn far away. Can you tell me more about this fella, the work he does, etc.

Cheers

15. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Since someone has asked,
    We have done a spray poly oil finish on several stocks for the Blasers. I myyself do not ilke this style of finish but each person is different. The answer is yes we do the spray poly oil finish and it can be brought to a high luster if desired.There are some samples of this finish on our web page and click onto the stock refinishing section. Thank you and have a great New Year.

Dennis DeVault

16. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I would say my gun has a "matte oil" finish if there is such a thing. It is a Joel Etchen gun bought in March 2009.

I saw a 687 top single at the Missouri Fall Handicap this year that was beautiful. The guy who had the gun was squadded right behind me but I never got to talk to him because the weather was so bad the next squad was walking on as we walked off. I commented that it was beautiful and he said " tung oil, steel wool, and time".

The photos of the finishes on both guns posted are fantastic. As far as protection of the wood from rain, salt from sweat, and just the sun is one preferable to the other?

AveragEd - Your 687 looks great. Could you give some more info on the fellow who did yours? Here is my "stock" wood. How does it compare with yours before the refinish?

MAC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. kolartarget

kolartarget Member

send it to Dennis

18. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

68X stocks are pretty easy to find.

You might find a stock with the finish you want for less then the cost of refinishing your stock. You'll have two stock to play with for less, or sell the one later. Cost less and no risk.

19. Baron23

I can't tell from looking at the photo of your stock (perhaps more experienced people can) if this is a matte poly finish or a true hand sanded in oil finish like the that of the fella you met at the shoot.

I'm sure there are some who are better qualified to help you on this subject, but here is my take:

Poly (high gloss example from ysr_racer above) is definitely more durable and almost any stock place can do a good job from DeVault, Wenig, to Donny Gemes and Show Me Gunstocks in Warsaw, MO. Poly is almost entirely what you will find on competition shotguns.

A hand rubbed oil finish is a thing of beauty, its much more tricky to get right....some wood just does not seem to like some products, some products don't hold up well to getting rained on but a good oil finish can be endlessly refreshed. This is what is on English best guns, etc. They are expensive because a good one has coat after coat of oil sanded in to seal the wood pores and then has hand rubbed finish coats put on....with time to dry well in between. Most, not all, but most folks seem to me to go for matte finishes when doing oil.

If you want glossy, and you want durable, then you probably want gloss poly and Dennis can do a great job for you. There has been many wonderful examples of his work posted here.

Below is an oil finish stock done for a project SX-1 of mine.

[​IMG]

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay in responding. Here's a photo of two 687s - mine with its original finish and my son's. His has a glossy oil finish, mine is much more matte.

Ed

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

paul altland stock maker blackrock road