1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Winchester Handicap load?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aussie Dan, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Hi Gents,

Just wondering, we have the availability to buy any of the USA made Winchester factory ammo.

I have tried the light handicap 1 oz grey shells and they seem like a good load. I also were given a box of super sporting clays 1300 fps 1-1/8 oz which were a little punchy but a great load for handicap.

What do you guys think is the best load for the 27yrd line from Winchester?

2. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

ATA max legal speed is 1250 fps for 1-1/8 ounce load. That is why those shells are marked sporting clays.

3. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

We have no speed restriction here so it's not relevant

4. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

the Winchester Super Handicap 7 1/2 shot 1250 fps is a great Handicap load.

JMAC

5. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Do you reload?? Alliant's Green Dot powder works pretty well for handicaps.

6. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

No not reload myself.

I haven't ever seen Remington Nitro 27 but you guys seem to have good results with them.

Other brands we have are Gamebore, Federal, Rio, Kemen, RC, Fiocchi, Clever Mirage as well as our own Aussie made stuff.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

No restrictions? WW super sporting 1300 or the Rio handicap loads I chronographed in the mid 1300's.

8. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

I liked the super sporting clays. $110 per flat, expensive but good.

9. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

3. Any load with a velocity greater than 1290 FPS (Feet Per Second) with maximum shot charge of 1 1/8 ounces, or 1325 FPS with a maximum shot charge of 1 ounce, or 1350 FPS with a maximum shot charge of 7/8 ounces or less, as measured in any individual shotshell. These velocities are maximum and no individual shotshell shall exceed these limits for the designated shot charge. In addition, no load containing more than 1 1/8 ounces or any shot larger than Number 7 1/2 can be used. Shot charges are maximum and no charge may exceed the charge amount by more than 3%. Steel shot in Number 7 will be acceptable as long as velocity criteria are the same as for lead shot shells.

It's 1290 fps not 1250. If your far yardage AA super handicap but the 3dram AA would work fine

10. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Speed kills, on both ends of the gun

Try the AA127 which is 2 3/4 dram (1145fps) 1 1/8 ounce #7 1/2, you will be surprised at how well they break targets and your face and shoulder will appreciate it.

Michael

11. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

I guess I was wrong about the velocity. When did this change? I don't shoot anything over 1200fps because I find it punishing to my shoulder. This is especially true after I have already shot doubles and singles.

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Couple of years ago. Got away from the +/- crap and just made a hard ceiling...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester aa super handi cap shotgun load data