1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to trace Ancestry ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigbore613, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

What is the best way to trace Ancestry ? Thanks, Jeff

2. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Ancestry.com is a good start but from then on it is a lot of computer time and even traveling to your ancestors state or county then hitting the records. It is fun and rewarding. I have mine traced in this country exactly to 1697 then a little troubling info but in England back to 1135. By troubling you will find records have been lost, burned up in a fire or transcribed incorrectly by someone. Enjoy, I sure did.

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I read a study from a top DNA tec, She said only 70% of us know who our real father is.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

A FYI--Ancestry.com is a pay service. I checked into and its was neatly setup. I just didn't want to go so far as to pay for it. I think it would be well worth the money just for the convience. The best method is first talk to any older family members and get as much info before going into the Ancestry part.

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ancestry is run by the Morman church. If you go to a ward close to your home they will help you get started.

6. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

If you can go back two or three generations, the easy way to start is to get a copy of their death certificates. They should have their parents information on it and then go to your local library and start checking the census records. It is a pain but the only real alternative is ancestry or one of the other pay for use service. I use ancestery and footnote.com both are pay for use but footnote has a lot more documents that you can print out, like service records from the War Between the State. You can also google one of your ancestors name and see what comes up, you may find a long lost cousin has already done most of you work for you.., Good luck and prepare for terminal ga ga!

7. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Run for politcal office

8. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Didn't work for our golfing president, his books say one thing and he says, in speeches, the opposite.

9. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I agree with Shannon - you don't really know without a DNA check.

Utah and SE Idaho is predominately LDS, and many church members are into geneology. Until about a century ago the official church doctrine supported polygamy. With the birth rate for humans approximately 50% male, polygamy tended to have a large excess of young single males, and young females married to older males with several wives. I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of money that a DNA analysis would show that many putative "ancestors" these LDS folks are tracing were not the actual fathers of the offspring.

10. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

Grunt hit the nail on the head. If you have a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints(that's the way it will be listed in the phone book) in the area, it will likely have a geneology library and if it does, it is staffed by folks who know how to get you on the right track. They'll show you how to navigate the records and web and save you a whole bunch of hours trying to figure it out on your own. There will probably be a seperate phone listing for the library, so you can call and find out the hours. There's no charge for the using the library.
    Dave

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

You always know who your mother is... Either win a lottery or inherit a lot of money.. You'll see "family" members come out from under the sidewalk.. and ,or,rise from the dead..

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

www.mozilla firefox.com and follow the links ... Its a great place to get started and you can venture into it from the links it will provide, one of which is Ancestry.com ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. luckyshot

luckyshot TS Member

whats the best way if u are adopted, and adoptive parents arent alive?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.