1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to store powder and primers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by richrob, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrob

richrob TS Member

i did a search of old threads and didnt come up with anything, just wondering what peoples opinions were on storing reloading supplies and setting up their room. -Rich

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

The very best way to store them is in loaded shells ready to shoot. Lacking that, any dry area will do as long as it is not real hot. Attics, small metal storage buildings and basements are usually not the best. A garage, work room or under your bed would be OK.

Pat Ireland

3. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I have things in the basement. I have a dehumidifier(sp) and I have put powder in one can and primers in amother for good reasons. The cans that I use are the military ammo cans. I will buy them and the first thing I do is open them and see if there is any pressure in them. Air coming out of them. That means that they are air tight. If they have rust in them I will not buy them. There will be a leak in them some place. An Army surpluse store will have them but I have found gun shows to have the best price and selection.

4. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

i use a mini refrigerator that no longer works and put a hasp and lock on it works for me steve

5. smartass

smartass TS Member

Apparently some of you would prefer an explosion to a fire. It might be a bood idea to try reading the label sometime, particularly the part about not storing in a confined area.

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Store powder it OEM containers; don't transfer it to a stronger (ie. "fireproof" container and do not store it in a strong locker or closet. OEM containers are designed to allow the powder to burn in a fire rather than build pressure and explode. I just keep mine on shelves in a dry basement.

Primers are stored on a floor-level shelf on the other side of the room.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best way to store gunpowder and primers

best way to store primers

what is the best way to store powder and pimers