1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to store guns long term ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Will be storing some shotguns long term in a gun safe.

In order to maximize the number of guns that will fit into the safe and to provide serious protection from the elements, what is the best way to store them ?

One person suggested using the shrink wrap vacuum sealing system that some people use for food storage.

One person suggested added a wrapping of bubble pack inside the vacuum sealed package.

Both suggested removing the normal gun rack fixtures and just stacking the guns in tight.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

2. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Never store a gun with the stock down store all guns bbl down even for a short time. Oil from the reciever will run down and be absored by the stock discoloring it and ruining the wood.

3. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I just happen to be cleaning up an old 1903 Springfield that had been in "dead storage" for over 40 years. Apparently back then the armorers removed the metal from the wood and dipped the assembled metal parts in a vat of heated cosmoline.

Absolutely no rust anywhere the cosmoline stayed, and it stayed all over inside. Some had been wiped from the bolt handle and other spots and those places were rusty.

So the tried and true (and most messy) would be Cosmoline.

4. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I did an Enfield last year that was also packed (literally) in cosmoline. Took me forever to get it cleaned out, but not a speck of rust on it. Not sure what else would work as well. Agree on keeping the guns barrel down.

HJH

5. Coyote128

Coyote128 Member

Buy some of those silicone gun socks they work great.

Steve

6. Skeeterzx

Skeeterzx Member

Coyote128 has it right. The silicone gun socks are the only way to go. I always wipe my guns dry and put them in a the socks. I have several first year production Winchester 94/22s that are unfired. I have them in gun socks in my safe and I may take a look at them once a year....or even a couple years. They are always perfect. Just make sure your safe is in a dry place, your guns are CLEAN before you store them, and you'll have zero issues with the silicone gun socks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best method for storing shotgun

best way to stor guns lont term

best way to store firearms

best way to store guns

best way to store guns long term

long term storing shotguns