1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to stop Chigger bites from itching

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by striper, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

Picked up a pile of leaves the other day and got 2 chigger bites on my finger. Other than digging them out with a knife :) how can you stop the itching the fastest.TY

2. mike31z

mike31z Member

Use liquid Campho-Phenique. Its worked for me evertime I got them when I was in the ARMY. It work good on insect bites of any kind. You can find it in Walgreens. Use the liquid not the paste.

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Get a hammer and short 2x4, place bitten finger on board and give quick smack with hammer. Repeat on other finger. Guarnteed to make you forget the itch. Jake

4. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

I occasionally get bites on my lower legs, sometimes behind my knee. The chigger is NOT buried in your skin; don't go digging after something that isn't there. The itching is caused by the body's histamine reaction to the chigger's saliva which has created a tiny hard tube in the skin... that's what's visible and that's what itches.

I deal with the bites in 2 ways. One is to use an antihistamine... my physician gave me OTC Clarinex. While the antihistamine is taking effect, I apply something to seal the wound from the air... Vasoline, cortisone cream, antibiotic cream (Neosporin etc.). The itching usually subsides in a few hours.

Don't use wacko home remedies like putting gasoline, kerosene or clear nail polish on the wound. They're a great way to start a secondary infection.

Carol Lister

5. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

There is no way to stop them. The Indians (Native Americans) held the belief that God put mosquitoes and chiggers on earth to keep people from feeling too superior to all the other animals. Sounds about right to me!

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Caladryl clear itch stop lotion....get it at Rite Aid or Walgreens

7. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Clear nail polish on bite. Kim

8. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Have heard that Vagasil stops some serious itching, Might give it a try.

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Hippie, you owe me a cup of coffee. Thank goodness I didn't have it over my keyboard. Jackie B.

10. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"Clear nail polish on bite. Suffocates them."</blockquote>

Suffocates what?? By the time you start to itch the chigger has left for other parts and is no longer on/in your skin. I fail to see the logic of putting a poisonous substance on an open sore. You can accomplish the same thing (sealing the wound from the air) much more safely with an antibiotic ointment, cold cream, vaseline etc.

Carol Lister

11. biff

biff Active Member

If you picked up a pile of leaves, you very possibly have poison ivy! Chiggers cause a little red spot on the skin and can be seen with a loop, they look like a little spider and usually can be gently raked off with your fingernail. The problem with a chigger is, it is eating you and defecating where it is, that is what causes the itching. If you have little clear blisters, then poison ivy is probably the culprit. Biff

12. Butterfingers

Butterfingers TS Member

You Yankee's, when you come into chigger country, ask your shooter M.D. friend to give you a RX for Lindane lotion 1%. That will stop the itching and kill the chigger.

13. skeet100

skeet100 Member

Man has been to the moon and unlocked DNA codes but NO one has a cure for these little devils.

enjoy the feeling you get when scratching........if feels sooooo goooood.....

14. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Raised in Alabama, moved to Mississippi--definitely not a Yankee!! Clear polish and chiggerid DO NOT WORK!!!!

15. mikefoy223

mikefoy223 TS Member

Have had a few problems with chigers and found the best way to get rid of them. Fill your tub with hot water, add about a cup of CLORINE BLEACH. Sit down and read a good book. Works every time. Gets rid of them in one application.

By the way, many years ago, driving on I-40 in TN, saw a sign advertising the "CHIGGER RIDGE CAMPGROUND" Odd. Must be just for Yankees.

16. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

I think Carol has it right. There is no chigger there to kill when its itching. Should have taken a hot shower after being in tall grass, brush, etc. but last time I had a serious bout with them was about the time Oklahoma legalized purchasing mixed drinks over the bar. Two double scotches initially and then one every hour thereafter beat all the home remedies from the in-laws. An ardent bass fishing buddy relieved himself in some heavy grass/brush a few years ago down there and you know the rest of the story. Put Campho-Phenique or nail polish on that!!

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

So you think you have chiggers, maybe not. This is the time of year that baby ticks are hatching. Mama tick can lay up to 5000 of the little nymphs. Very nasty little suckers. HMB

18. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have you forgotten P.C.? They are now Chigroes

19. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Phillip J. Hamman, Area Extension Entomologist Texas A&M University System

The tiny, bright red larval chigger can scarcely be seen as it scurries along the skin surface seeking an attachment site. When it finds a suitable location, such as a skin pore or hair follicle, it attaches its mouthparts to the spot. On people, the chigger prefers places where clothing fits closely over the skin or where the flesh in thin or wrinkled. Contrary to common belief, it does not penetrate and burrow into the skin or suck blood. Instead, it injects a digestive fluid that disintegrates skin cells so they can be used as food. A feeding “tube” formed by the chigger secretion and skin cells of the host permits the chigger to extract food until it is engorged. After leaving the host, it undergoes further development on the ground.
    Affected skin tissue becomes red and swollen. It may completely envelop the feeding chigger, making the chigger appear to be burrowing into the skin. Chigger bites have a more severe effect on some persons than others. The bite itches intensely and may continue itching for several days after the chigger is killed or drops off. The itching probably results from the digestive action of the enzymes injected by the larva into the skin.

Immediately after exposure to chigger-infested areas, take a hot bath to kill and remove chigger larvae. Then apply an antiseptic solution to any welts that have appeared to kill trapped chiggers and to prevent infection. Destroying the chigger usually does not stop the itching completely because the itching is caused by tissue reaction to the fluid injected by the chigger. Normally, two to three days pass before the itching stops. Temporary relief can be obtained by applying a commercial product that contains a mild, local anesthetic. Your pharmacist can suggest an appropriate product for your needs.

P. G. Koehler, F. M. Oi, Univ Florida cooperative extension service

Humans are accidental hosts. Chiggers that attach to humans are usually dislodged or die within hours.

The larvae suck fluids from the skin of the host animal and do not burrow under the skin. Usually within three days the larva is engorged. The larva then drops from the host to the ground and transforms into the nymphal stage.

Chiggers are easily removed from the skin by taking a hot bath or shower and lathering with soap several times. The bath will kill attached chiggers and others which are not attached. Since symptoms of contact may not appear for several hours, it is not always possible to completely prevent welts caused by chigger bites. Antiseptic should be applied to all welts which do appear. Temporary relief of itching may be achieved with nonprescription local anesthetics available at most drug stores. Studies have shown that meat tenderizer, rubbed into the welt, will alleviate itching.

20. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

Like Mike31z said "Campho-Phenique." I have been using it since I was a kid. It works.

BK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best way to stop chigger bites from itching

chigger bites stop itching
chigger trap
how to make chigger bites stop itching

how to stop chigger bites from itching

how to stop chigger itching

stop chigger bites from itching immediately

ways to stop chiggers from itching