1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BEST WAY TO SHOOT DOUBLES AND WHY

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapshootinbubba, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootinbubba

trapshootinbubba Member

I just shot my first doubles this past weekend, although i had never even practiced doubles, I read a lot of info and watched people shoot them, I noticed most people shot the straight away first ( or easy bird) and then they would swing to the angled bird( except on post 3) reading different articles about this it seems most people do it that way. this weekend i chose the angled bird or left then the straight away (on post 1 and 2) then the right bird on post 4 and 5 for my first bird to shoot, I shot a 44 and a 43 for a 87, and i was interested in everyones elses thoughts on shooting doubles and why you shoot them the way you do. thanks Bubba

2. d endicott

d endicott Member

the straight away is getting away from you faster than the angle bird, that is why it is shot first

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The <i>general</i> theory behind shooting the straight: is 'ALWAYS break the first bird'.

You are 'shooting the close bird' first.

Both work.

Bob

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shoot the right bird first on 1,2 and 3. On 4,5 I shoot the left bird first. The real reason I do that is because many years ago I was told to shoot them that way. It is possible that shooting the nearly straight away bird first allows you to shoot a bit faster on the first bird and not rush on the second bird. Many excellent doubles shooters do not shoot them the way I do (this sentence has two distinct meanings).

Pat Ireland

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Best way is with a 12 guage O/U. Open choke for the first bird and tight choke for the second bird. POI for first barrel set to hit a rising target. POI for second barrel set to hit a flat target. HMB

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<blockquote> HMB: <i>"Best way is with a 12 guage O/U. Open choke for the first bird and tight choke for the second bird. POI for first barrel set to hit a rising target. POI for second barrel set to hit a flat target."</i></blockquote

IOW ... a Remington 3200 ...

Bob

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bob,

I use a 3200 for doubles too. It's a great doubles gun. HMB

8. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Again, I am with Mr. Ireland on this one. I was taught to shoot them that way. Past that, I have found Doubles requires lots of practice and changing does't make sense to me.

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Harry, we agree: if there's a better out-of-the-box 'doubles' gun than the 3200, I have no idea what it could be.

Bob

10. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Perazzi MX-3 Special (and it is simpler to fix also)

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

bubba:

I shoot the straight away target first followed by an aggressive but controlled swing to the second (angle) target. Since the second target is moving in the same direction as my swing, it is easier to acquire (see) the second target and to make any adjustments necessary to break it.

If one shoots the angle target first, one must them make an aggressive move back toward the second (straight away) target. In order to be successful, one must either:

1. abruptly stop their swing at precisely the instant their gun reaches the second target, or

2. make the initial aggressive move then gradually put on the brakes as the gun approaches the second target, or

3. make the aggressive move back to the second target and snap off a shot as the gun swings thru the bird.

All three of those options are (in my simple mind) more difficult and less natural than just shooting the angle target second.

That said, ymmv and I never argue with what works for someone else.

sissy

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Like most, I shoot the more straightaway target first and the angle bird second and for the reason recoil sissy described. That puts you moving the gun the same direction the targets are moving. Verticle move UP to the straightaway, followed by a horizontal move OVER to the angle bird.

John C. Saubak

13. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

I agree that shooting the straight away bird first makes the game a lot easier. I happen to use a Browning 525 sporting clays gun, Improved bottom bbl 1st shot, Modified top bbl 2nd shot. I think the key for me has been to raise my hold point on the first bird to well above the house...I almost treat it like a sporting clay shot for a hold point...very little vertical motion and almost no horizontal motion. The other key is not to over-rush your second shot...you can't delay much, but a deliberate motion keeping the gun under control will give you more hits than slinging the barrels around. Once again, everyone finds their own rythm and technique.

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Straightaway first, then your eyes go to the second bird, the gun follows...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.