1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to ship to California

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by hejumper, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hejumper

hejumper Member

I have currently purchased one gun and am looking at a second. The process the first CA FFL had seemed to exceed the legal requirements. Have any of you recently had a gun shipped to CA and if so would you describe the exact process used? I can't be the only CA resident, that hasn't left the state yet, that is trying to receive a gun from out of state.

I am new to this forum so if this info has already been discussed in detail please point me in the right direction. If you've had guns sent to the Southern CA area wo much pain let me know who your FFL receiver is and I'll contact them. Thank you, Larry

2. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I am in San Diego and have several long guns shipped to Don Gussler...or gusslers.com...LarryB

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I'm in the South Bay area, I had many shotguns sent to Mike's Gunsmith in N. Long Beach. He does not require anything other then the seller's name, NO FFL from seller. And $75 flat fee (including DROS).

Many CA FFLs require FFL to FFL for any kind of firearms, this is their own policy, has nothing to do with Federal or CA laws.

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Yup, Don Gussler in Santee.

5. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I did three this year and am doing one right now. Oaktree only accepts guns from an FFL. If it's a handgun, it has to be on the current CA DOJ list of acceptable CA sales. Oaktree has a member fee of $75 plus the DROS fee. Non-members get socked with a $175 fee. My present purchase in an Officer's Model Trapdoor Springfield in 45-70. The seller lives in Mesquite TX and there is no gunshop willing to ship to CA in the area. So, I had to find another dealer. I wound up Using Cobra Tactical in Valencia. No hassle at all. I just pay them $75 plus $25 for the DROS when the gun arrives.

6. Tom421

Tom421 TS Member

Yes, just went through shipping a handgun to CA. It's crazy, and the FFL's and the local ordinances are the problem. Contacted CA's DOJ and they tell me I can ship to FFL without getting approval number from them, but the FFL's won't accept unless it is shipped from an FFL. Your local FFL has to register to ship to CA. Totally messed up.

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Non-FFL individuals can ship directly to CA, there's no federal or state laws prohibit that.

It's the (certain) receiving FFLs making their own rules. They have every rights to do so, I respect that.
    But I also take this into consideration when I can choose where to go for something else.

8. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

I shipped a long gun to Gussler's for the guy that bought it and got nothing but assistance and cooperation from Gussler's. I also recall reading that FFL dealer sales are subject to California State sales tax but private party sales are not.

I started with the information on Gussler's web site and then went to the California DOJ web site. It was simple for a long gun, especially a trap gun, although I could see that a handgun would be more challenging.

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

9. hejumper

hejumper Member

Thank you all for the great information and leads!!! It is much appreciated.

I've started a separate thread asking "how to pay for a gun".

Thanks again, the folks on "trapshooters.com" have really been a big help to me.

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.