1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best way to ship shotgun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mike T, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

What is the besr way to ship a shotgun? Ups, Fedex, Usps, Other?
    Thanks
    Mike t

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Normally I would say USPS but seeing that we just got screwed by them...I don't know!!! We just paid double for USPS Priority over what it would have cost for UPS Ground and it took 8 days to go from Indiana to Arizona by Priority Mail. Have had good luck, good service, bad luck and bad service from all three mentioned. Good Luck !!

3. DanLee

DanLee Member

USPS Registered.

4. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Ive always used USPS with insurance and tracking number.

5. mike T

mike T Member

Any trouble with usps and it being a gun you are shipping?

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

FedEx. Cheapest and no issues so far. Don't even ask you what your shipping!!

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

USPS is the best for me---They will ship a gun knowing it's a gun but need a photo copy of FFL and it's good to go----UPS in my town will not ship knowing it's a gun and don't try insurance when they know it's a gun---Check me out and try to ship knowing it's a gun and insurance---Same with FED-X---Just my knowledge----USPS priority mail will ship just about anywhere in lower US in 2 to 3 day delivery---May cost a few bucks more but good to go----SJB

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Fed Ex is best all the way around. Period, however I would never ship a gun without it being in a hard case, learned my lesson. I buy the cheap $35 plano cases.

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Never had a problem using any of the three.

Used the post office the last few years and never had to show a copy of FFL to the post office when shipping.

The UPS stores will not (are not suppose to ship) you need to go to the main complex.

10. johnpe

johnpe Member

Just today I had a problem trying to ship a shotgun for repairs via USPS. They said it was against their rules without an FFL. That was news to me since the last I heard (several years ago) was that Congress passed a law specifically allowing citizens to ship a gun to a manufacturer, an FFL, or to have it repaired. Then, at my request, they trotted out the rule that did not apply. It applied to any pistol, including a starter pistol or flare gun, and short barreled shotguns and rifles. I would really like to know the correct story since I have another shotgun that needs to be sent to the same gunsmith when this one is returned. I did ship it through one of the UPS stores.

Johnpe

11. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

Here ya go:

DMM 601 12.2 Rifles and Shotguns

Except under 12.1.1d and 12.1.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing under 12.1.1d. The following conditions also apply:

a. Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when sent within the same state of mailing. These items must bear a ?Return Service Requested? endorsement, and must be sent by Express Mail (?signature required? must be used at delivery), Registered Mail, or must include either insured mail service (for more than $200) requiring a signature at delivery or Signature Confirmation service.

b. A shotgun or rifle owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner's state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the state, where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:

1. Be addressed to the owner.

2. Include the ?in the care of? endorsement immediately preceding the name of the applicable temporary custodian.

3. Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.

4. Be mailed using services described in 12.2a..

c. Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. USPS recommends these items be mailed using those services described in 12.2a..

d. Except as described in 12.1.2a, licensed curio and relic collectors may mail firearms meeting the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 domestically to FFL licensed curio and relic collectors in any state. USPS recommends these items be mailed using those services described in 12.2a..

e. Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest may be accepted for mailing without restriction.

f. Air guns that do not fall within the definition of firearm under 12.1.1a are mailable. A shipment containing an air gun with a muzzle velocity of 400 or more feet per second (fps) must include an Adult Signature service under 503.9.0. Mailers must additionally comply with all applicable state and local regulations.

Tim

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I always go to my local shipping store. I bring the gun to them within a hard case and have them box it up and ship insured for the value of the gun.

I have an established relationship with them. Never a problem.

Guy Babin

13. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

My UPS won't even ship my gun to my hunting lodge and forget insurance---I must live in the wrong part of the world---My USPS knows me and have enough FFL paperwork on board that they don't even ask me anymore for anything---
    USPS is the best for me and I'v shipped many---The postmaster above says it all.George@SJB

14. oleolliedawg

Handguns-post office. FedEx-long guns if you like to save a bunch of money. Way cheaper!!

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

USPS.....I will not use the Brown Crushing Machine and the Fedex depot is too far away from me.

Never had a problem. It is advisable to carry a printout of the applicable rules in your pocket. counter monkeys can be opinionated and in need of education.

They do have the right to inspect the gun and ascertain it is not loaded. How aperson that is unknowledgable does that is beyond me but it did happen once in 20 years.

Mash the link above for complete info and links to each organization's rules. Joe Petoskey has created a great resource here.

HM

16. postmastertim

That's between you and the ATF, there have been several shippers who were suprised when they got a knock on the door because they were shipping "machine parts".

Tim

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The part with the serial number on it is the firearm as far as ATF is concerned. It is subject to all the legal rules of a whole gun.

Can't circumvent the law that way.

HM

18. oleolliedawg

Sorry, I ship handguns by the dozens FFL to FFL. Receive plenty more same way. I have several friends who've shipped handguns back to the manufacturer for repairs by USPS with no issues. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my advice. I've also received plenty of handguns from private individuals after first providing them with a copy of my FFL!!

19. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

One more time, no misunderstandings....

It is against federal law for the everyday person to ship a HANDGUN via the post office. There are exception but the average guy off the street (most of us) are not allowed! Use FedEx.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

20. postmastertim

If you ship a handgun and are not permitted to do so under DMM 432.1 and it gets lost or damaged you will not receive a payment on your claim. You would probably get a visit from the Inspection Service.

DMM 432.1

Handguns — e.g., pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person — are nonmailable UNLESS mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, or a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or government of a state, territory, or district, and ONLY when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties AND upon filing the required affidavit or certificate, as applicable (see DMM 601.11.1.3–7):

Addressee: Officer of Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.

Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.

Addressee: Officer of National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.

Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.

Addressee: Officer of the federal government or a state, district, or territory whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.

Addressee: Postal Service employees specifically authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.

Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.

Addressee: Officer or employee of a U.S. enforcement agency.

Addressee: Watchman engaged in guarding federal, state, district, or territory property.

Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by chief clerk of department, bureau, or independent branch of the government agency employing the addressee.

Addressee: Purchasing agent or other designated member of an enforcement agency employing officers and personnel included in c, d, or e above.

Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of agency stating the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee cited in c, d, or e above.

Addressee: Licensed manufacturers and dealers of firearms.

Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Signed statement on PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms.

The mailer must be a licensed manufacturer or dealer mailing to another licensed manufacturer or dealer.

Handguns may be mailed without regard to the requirements noted in items a–h if the addressee is the FBI (or its Director) or a scientific lab or crime detection bureau of any agency whose members are federal law enforcement officers, or state, district, or territory officers authorized to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

Manufacturers or dealers must complete PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, and file with the postmaster.

Postmasters may forward an unsatisfactory mailer statement to their PCSC for a ruling.

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best to use to ship shotgun

best way to ship shotgun