1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best way to ship high end gun needed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Ship it through the post office. Priority Mail, insured and delivery confirmation. Ed

2. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

I agree with Ed. When I sold my ljutic, I shipped it US postal service, it was tehre in a few days, best possible rates and no problems! The lady even gave me a bigger box for free and more bubble wrap! Just wrap it well no matter what!

Everett F. Haley, Jr.

3. randy-s

randy-s Member

USPS EXPRESS Mail! I have been told that packages are under lock and key at all times and are signed for every time they change hands in the system. Express Mail items are trackable. There is less chance of damage the faster an item gets there and the USPS guarantees 2nd day delivery when shipped Express Mail. Don't let the postal clerk tell you that they don't ship long guns either. If they do have the clerk check with the supervisor. This happened to me just yesterday.

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Make sure to take plenty of pictures prior to shipping! This way you'll have some ammo if damage occures in transit. Use a camera that can imprint the date on the photo for reference.

ec90t

5. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Dusty, 50 lbs is hard to swing at angles isn't it? Seriously, if the value of your gun is over $5000, just ship it in 2 or more packages and insure them for the full value. Larry Evans

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do not use the US Postal Service -- horrible results could occur and they dont consider anything lost for 60 days

not only are the insurance rates horrible the shipping rates arent much better- and are nowhere close to that of FEDEX or UPS

UPS doesnt pay claims in most areas and appears anti gun == depending on the terminal

FEDEX is the only way to go and insurance is about 1/5 to 1/10 of the postal service

Gene

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Randy s has it almost right. Registered mail is the only way to go. It is signed for at every step of the way. I believe you can insure Registered mail items to 15 million dollars. If it is lost or damaged, a federal law enforcement agency, the Postal Inspection Service, will investigate. Insurance is cheaper than Priority of Express mail because of all of the security involved. Bearer bonds, diamonds, gold, cash etc. all go express mail for the above reasons. Downside is that you cannot use plastic tape on registered pieces. All packaging must be able to absorb ink as all seams are stamped for tamper detection.

Best of all, Gene does not like it so it must be good. You can go online to USPS.com and Fedex.com and see that Gene is wrong on the insurance rates.

FWIW

Bob

8. g7777777

No MIA -- dont like your attitude

Identify yourself and quit hiding behind your computer screen

You have to use a calculator- most can do it in their heads =

Ok for the DA that you are-- if anyone is shipping a 37 pound package to NY -- from Iowa ----if it has a gun in it- and you declare it as a gun

1. Has to go express mail -- $103 dollars

2. FEDEX ground can go ground my price $16 dollars

thats 7 times as much

any other questions?

Oh

Insurance

Lets say that the gun is valued at 10,000

Now the post office will cover it to 5 thousand at 90 cents per hundred and FEDEX (with a discount) will cover it at 40 cents a hundred

Here is the kicker -- you have to buy private insurance for the other 5000 or plan on a declared value and suing the post office if something goes wrong

so the cost for the private insurance is 1.66 per hundred -- but you have to insure the entire value- not just the 5000 difference-- so you insure 5000 twice and then an additional 5000 again--

And the other insurance may not cover it -if the post office was negligent- or there may be an exclusion--

so being the fine mind that you are MIA (not) you can given anyone advice to use the post office- I hope they sue you

SO DA MIA - you figure it out- most of us can do it in our heads

that is one example- as the value gets higher -- you can see the problem the rate goes up

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I like FED-X sent my Silver Seitz to Maryland last year over night from Indiana $96.00 bucks ins and all ship,t at 10am one day it was on the desk at 9am the next morning .

10. g7777777

MIA

Fedex tried to clean up the Post Office package problem- rates were going to go down and better service

the postal union workers have fought that tooth and nail

whats up with that?

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. g7777777

One other thought MIA--

A lot of people here reccomend FEDEX

but Union members that dont use the post office are scabs arent they?

regard from Iowa

Gene

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Having done this since the '50s, I also go with Fed Ex. Get the commercial account. This costs NOTHING, and they bill your CC. You get a further discount with the commercial account.

Did I mention the account was free?

13. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I hate Fed-X, for this simple reason. They will not deliver on Mondays to my area. Fed-X is close to an hour from me. And, on several occassions, they attempt or DO make a delivery an hour AFTER I've closed for the day. I close at 5:30 pm. When I go to the tracking site with a tracking number sent to me by a customer, the time of the attemped deliveries range from 6pm to 7pm.

I call Fed-X everytime and explain to them that they must deliver to my business, during business hours, and that they CANNOT just leave a package on my door step...in the rain or at all, if no one is there to accept it. All of the packages have my shop name on them, but apparently they cannot read or are just stupid.

They've told me that Mondays are a "slow shipping day" to my area, so that's why they will not travel this far north.

Now with regards to shipping with ANYONE to ANYONE....package the gun well. Package that gun as if you were going to ship your child. Purchase the nessessary insurance. I ususally add an extra $500 or more. This can give you some wiggle room in case of a claim. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, opt for the "Adult Signature Required" for the delivery confirmation (UPS has this). UPS's policy for an adult signature, is someone over the age of 21.

The bigget problem I see with packages coming into my shop, is there is never enough packing material on the ends. These boxes get bounce around on their ends quite a bit, and if there's not enough packing material (newspaper, bubble wrap, and such) the guns with shift end to end. Soon the beads from the bbl's are bumping against the buttstocks.

So, short of your package getting run over by the shipping company's truck, I believe it's the shipper(customer)that takes responsibility for any damage that's NOT shown on the outside of the box.

I guess I'm lucky with my UPS service here in Northern MN. My driver likes guns, so does his boss, and his boss's boss. If I receive a package that has a small tear in the box, my driver will always ask me to open it in front of him to make sure there is no further damage. I reaaly think he just wants to see what's come in. His eyes generally get really big when I tell him that a particular gun is over 10 G's.

Doug Braker

14. g7777777

MIA and Big Al have been smoking the same stuff and apparently attended the same math classes --

palletjack@comcast.net -- phone 715-262-5024, and Big Al have been selling those broken 870s so long they forget how to ship things legally

Maybe pj's bowflex collasped under his lean 372 pound frame and now he spends his time sending spam?

And pallet jack claims to have been a teacher just like Big Al claims that doesnt he?

If he didnt figure out the math maybe-

he figured out you have to declare its a firearm when shipping with the us postal service?

or that the postal service doesnt consider a package is lost for 60 days?

Maybe he figured out that the postal service has no obligation to investigate any loss for 6 months after the date it considers something lost?

hmm--

Gene

15. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

Registered mail is absolutely the safest way to ship anything. Whether it is cost effective is up to you to decide. Diamond merchants use it regularly. However the security cannot be challenged.

If you ever have to have a high dollar insurance claim against UPS or Fed Ex, you will rue the day.

Registered mail can be insured up to $25,000. It is not fast because of the security. I have dealt with all sorts of claims, and I have never heard of a registered mail package being lost. I have heard that it is the USPS premium service, and if something happens to a registered package, the full force of the postal inspectors is immediately brought to bear.

16. 1oz

1oz Member

Fed Ex is my choice .I us to use USPS until this year .USPS lost 2 items in less than 1 year in fact the last item they even lost the paper work on the insurance claim for the lost item .Now was that the problem of 1 Post Office I dont know , but I do know it was a royal pain in the butt to get my money back took 4 months and a lot of BS time on the phone. Just my dealings

17. primed

primed Well-Known Member

All:

Here is the information from the web pages at USPS.com and Fedex.com. These are actual rates from the websites and not just the imagined rates quoted by Gene. I think you will find that Registered Priority Mail is the best deal every time. And FedEx does not offer any product with the security of Registered Mail. Also note that Gene says guns must go Express Mail. NOT TRUE!!! Gene says the maximum insurance through the US Postal Service is 5,000. AGAIN NOT TRUE Gene says insurance rates at FedEx are 1/5 to 1/10th the cost of the postal service. YET AGAIN NOT TRUE. Gene says you must declare firearms when shipping USPS. NOT TRUE AGAIN. I am sure that Gene does not have a malicious bone in his body, but he does appear to be misinformed and misinforming on rare occasion. It should be noted that Gene’s example was a 37# gun and not the 20 pounds that I used. Obviously Gene is a BIG shooter. Also the rates I posted below are for any ordinary Joe off the street. It does not take into account any corporate discounts. Check it out, it’s all there and if you don’t believe the data, you can go to the websites and verify it. I’m not quite sure how to verify Gene’s data as I am not a corporate shipper.

For the purposes of this exercise, I used a 20# package, measuring 36x12x5 inches and values of 15,000, 10,000 and 5,000 because I thought these figures to be reasonable for shipping a shotgun. I picked Des Moines, IA 50318 as the origin and Phoenix, AZ 85004 as the destination at random.

The links did not seem to work, so you will have to copy and paste.

20# Des Moines to Phoenix Priority Mail registered with 15,000 insurance. http://postcalc.usps.gov/ExtraServices.aspx?M=2&MT=1&P=20&O=0&OZ=50318&DZ=85004&RECT=True&H=-1&L=-1&W=-1&G=0&MSN=Priority+Mail&MSNCOSTS=27.5&OCity=DES+MOINES&OState=IA&DCity=PHOENIX&DState=AZ&Z=Zone+6%2c+Inter-BMC&time=2+days&msAC=None

20# Des Moines to Phoenix Fedex choices with 15,000 insurance

FedEx Rates and Transit Times Quick help

Use this simple tool to obtain a rate quote and determine the expected delivery date and time for your shipment

Get Rates and Transit Times

* Denotes required field

Ship From / To Des moines, 50318, U.S.A. > Phoenix, 85004, U.S.A. on August 18, 2007. Edit

Package information 1 package 20.0 lbs Your Packaging 36 in x 12 in x 5 in, 15000.00 USD
    Edit

Results

Delivery Date/Time Service Rate (US$)
    Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:00 AM FedEx First Overnight® $232.18
    Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:30 AM FedEx Priority Overnight® $203.68
    Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:00 PM FedEx Standard Overnight® $192.97
    Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:30 PM FedEx 2Day® $159.68
    Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:30 PM FedEx Express Saver® $143.32
    End of day (3 Business Days) FedEx Ground® $93.87
    Same day in shortest time possible. Call 1·800·Go·FedEx for availability and rate. FedEx Same Day®

20# Des Moines to Phoenix Priority Mail registered with 10,000 insurance. http://postcalc.usps.gov/ExtraServices.aspx?M=2&MT=1&P=20&O=0&OZ=50318&DZ=85004&RECT=True&H=-1&L=-1&W=-1&G=0&MSN=Priority+Mail&MSNCOSTS=27.5&OCity=DES+MOINES&OState=IA&DCity=PHOENIX&DState=AZ&Z=Zone+6%2c+Inter-BMC&time=2+days&msAC=None

20# Des Moines to Phoenix Fedex choices with 5,000 insurance

Use this simple tool to obtain a rate quote and determine the expected delivery date and time for your shipment

* Denotes required field

Ship From / To Des moines, 50318, U.S.A. > Phoenix, 85004, U.S.A. on August 18, 2007. Edit

Package information 1 package 20.0 lbs Your Packaging 36 in x 12 in x 5 in, 10000.00 USD
    Edit

Results

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:00 AM FedEx First Overnight® $204.68
    Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:30 AM FedEx Priority Overnight® $176.18
    Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:00 PM FedEx Standard Overnight® $165.47
    Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:30 PM FedEx 2Day® $132.18
    Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:30 PM FedEx Express Saver® $115.82
    End of day (3 Business Days) FedEx Ground® $66.37
    Same day in shortest time possible. Call 1·800·Go·FedEx for availability and rate. FedEx Same Day®

20# Des Moines to Phoenix Priority Mail registered with 5,000 insurance. http://postcalc.usps.gov/ExtraServices.aspx?M=2&MT=1&P=20&O=0&OZ=50318&DZ=85004&RECT=True&H=-1&L=-1&W=-1&G=0&MSN=Priority+Mail&MSNCOSTS=27.5&OCity=DES+MOINES&OState=IA&DCity=PHOENIX&DState=AZ&Z=Zone+6%2c+Inter-BMC&time=2+days&msAC=None

20# Des Moines to Phoenix Fedex choices with 5,000 insurance

* Denotes required field

Package information 1 package 20.0 lbs Your Packaging 36 in x 12 in x 5 in, 5000.00 USD
    Edit

Results

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:00 AM FedEx First Overnight® $177.18
    Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:30 AM FedEx Priority Overnight® $148.68
    Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:00 PM FedEx Standard Overnight® $137.97
    Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:30 PM FedEx 2Day® $104.68
    Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:30 PM FedEx Express Saver® $88.32
    End of day (3 Business Days) FedEx Ground® $38.87

There it is and you can verify it yourself.

Bob (my real name)

18. g7777777

Bob- that is hard to read and I dont see the US post office rate

but regardless you are not correct

my rates came right off my FEDEX chart(with my discount) and the postal service web page( insurance is plainly posted per 100 dollars and the limit is plainly 5000 as someone else has stated

-- and they arent made up -- and you get a discount with a FEDEX account

You absolutely must declare you are shipping a firearm with the post office- and this is not a violation of some company policy- its a federal violation to not do so-- and depending on circumstances- you could go to jail

You also must ship a firearm from a local post office express mail- you have no other option -- go in- tell them you have a firearm- and verify for yourself

You have confused US postal insurance with declared value -- insurance is only available to 5000

And 37 pounds is what a skeet gun in a metal gun case weighs-- you might want to actually weigh a gun in one of those cases-- the case alone weighs 15 or more pounds

A trap gun in a metal case isnt going to weigh much less boxed up-- weigh it

Bob you just jumped to wrong conclusions

You can go to jail if you do some of the things you suggest

Gene

19. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Gene

Sorry the links did not work. Below are the summaries for the package as described. As you can well see, the last one is insured for $500,000.00. That is well above your $5000 imaginary limit. Go to the website if you doubt any of these figures. Also please point out a law or postal regulation requiring you to declare firearms as I do not seem to be able to find it. As previously stated, I do not have access to corporate rates on FedEx. Nor do I believe that most posters on TS.com do. I understand that you get special rates.

Go to USPS.com, click calculate postage, package, 20lbs, from 50318 to 85004, select priority mail, click on extra services, select registered and input the amount of insurance you choose and you will get the same results that I did and that anyone else can. I stand by what I previously posted and like I said, you can go to the websites and verify if in doubt. Where can I verify what you say. USPS also services all residents in the country and it's territories. Does FedEx? USPS also has it's Postal Inspection Service and Office of the Inspector General special agents to investigate losses and fraudulent claims. What does FedEx have? I have had these federal law enforcement agents track items in as few as 5 days. Where do you find 60 days. They tell me that the sooner they start the better results. Maybe you are on the "do not investigate" list. (that was a joke Gene)

Summary

Mailing Summary Your Cost
    Priority Mail® $27.50
    Registered Mail (Insured for $15,000.00) 27.75
    Total $55.25

Summary
    Priority Mail® $27.50
    Registered Mail (Insured for $25,000.00) 38.75
    Total $66.25

Summary
    Priority Mail® $27.50
    Registered Mail (Insured for $50,000.00) 66.25
    Total $93.75

Summary
    Priority Mail® $27.50
    Registered Mail (Insured for $500,000.00) 561.25
    Total $588.75

20. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Gene

Here is the rate for your 37# gun from New York to Des Moines, priority, registered mail insured for $10.000

Summary

Priority Mail® $31.90
    Registered Mail (Insured for $10,000.00) 22.25
    Total $54.15

Estimated shipping time from NEW YORK, NY 10278 to DES MOINES, IA 50318 (Zone 5, Inter-BMC) is 2 days.
    Mark the package "Priority Mail" in the postage area.
    For security reasons, Priority Mail paid with postage stamps and weighing 16 ounces or more must be deposited at a post office retail counter or handed to a letter carrier.

Same package via FedEx

* Denotes required field

Ship From / To New york, 10278, U.S.A. > Des moines, 50318, U.S.A. on August 18, 2007. Edit

Package information 1 package 37.0 lbs Your Packaging 36 in x 12 in x 5 in, 10000.00 USD
    Edit

Results

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:00 AM FedEx First Overnight® $243.84
    Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:30 AM FedEx Priority Overnight® $215.34
    Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:00 PM FedEx Standard Overnight® $201.26
    Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:30 PM FedEx 2Day® $137.59
    Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:30 PM FedEx Express Saver® $126.31
    End of day (3 Business Days) FedEx Ground® $70.17

Ground Pickup Service Surcharge
    (Effective January 22, 2007)

For FedEx Ground® shipments, pickup service may be available to an address other than the shipping location associated with the FedEx Ground account number for an additional charge of $12 per unique address per week.

Metro Service Area Pickup and Delivery Surcharges
    (Effective February 26, 2007)

For FedEx Express® Freight U.S. shipments, FedEx will implement Metro Service Area pickup and delivery surcharges of $100 per shipment to select ZIP codes in highly congested metro areas.

The FedEx rates do include current fuel surcharges. USPS does not charge fuel surcharges. I do not know if Metro area Pick up and delivery charges apply but New York may be considered a Metro area by some.

Comparing oranges to oranges, a package shipped two days with 10,000 insurance is $54.15 at the postal service and $137.59 via FedEx at rates available to all. I fail to see the savings or the security of using FedEx.

Sorry, I just don't see it.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.