1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to remove skunk from live trap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by biff, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

Been catching racoons and opossums with a live trap as they have been intimidating my cat and stealing his food. Well this morning I looked out and had a skunk in the trap, I know I can't walk up and release it like I did the 5 cats I have caught in the last two weeks. Should I call the Humane Society, PETA,or sell the trap with it in it? I'm serious. Biff

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

you can shoot it with an air gun through the trap

or call the DNR if they will respond

or pay someone you dont like to do it

lol

Gene

3. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

e-mail at jamesjb@lycos.com or call 308-623-1875. He's an animal control officer who knows what end is up. He'll give you the straight info on how to handle this stinky situation.

4. LAD39

LAD39 Member

biff
    put blanket over trap then open trap door. move away skunk will come out.
    this works well. "exterminator"

5. smartass

smartass TS Member

Is that why skunks are commonly called "polecats"?

6. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

I`ve moved some with the trap and skunk in it , just do what they said but drape an old towel over it and set it in a box . Then carry it over to a pickup preferred . Then take it to a wooded area , take it out of the box or cut the one side down and open the door and it will come out . The reason for the box is if it should spray , the box could be thrown away -- with the towel . Whatever you do , don`t try to hit it over the head with a trapping pole like I did when I was a kid and had one caught in a foot hold trap . I cleared my parents house out with company that day .

7. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

A skunk will not spray in the box or cage it is in. Second the skunk can not spray when on all four. They have to have their but up in the air and tail up. While in this kind of cage it will not spray. Its to small. Do put a towel over the cage to keep the skunk calm. When releasing the skink in a wooded area do have a box with a opening so one end of the trap can go in. Once the skunk goes from the trap to the bark box you will have a few seconds to get the hell out of there. Once the skunk comes out of the box he or she will be looking for a target.

8. mark54

mark54 Member

Biff, lad 39 is right on.I work for Havahart Traps in Lititz,Pa & know some people that do it that way. Works great. Keep them in the dark & they will do nothing. I hope you were using one of our traps. LOL

Mark54 in Lititz

9. quicky

quicky Member

I have done it many times w/out a mishap. A skunk must have its tail up over its back to spray. If it is contained tight enough in the trap so that the tail cannot come up all is well. Use a pole with a hook on the end to pick up the trap and carry it to a river or creek with water deep enough to drown it and let the water take its course. Scientists have demonstarted that the death is relatively painless as the animal doesn't actually drown but gets a mucous plug in its throat and dies of CO2 poisioning. Kind of goes to sleep. If the skunk is able to get its tail up, you will need to take other steps. Take a large hypodermic needle and affix the plunger to the end of a pole about 6'long. Put 20CC of acetone in the body of the hypodermic and put the plunger in the body of the hypodermic. Talk to the skunk as you approach him slowly and be sure he stays facing you. They are really quite docile. When you are close enough, work the hypodermic between the wires of the trap and let him sniff the end. Place the needle in the chest between the front legs and gently push it past the leather and into the chest cavity. Then depress the needle with just enough force to empty the contents of the needle into the chest cavity. The acetone will volitolize (sp?) in the chest cavity and cause a massive embolism which will kill the skunk in about 5 minutes. No spray with either method! Use a hypodermic to extract the scent. It is worth about $10/ounce to lure makers for fox and coyote trapping. A friend of mine bought a 5 gal. bucket for $6,000. Best of luck, Quicky

10. old tex

old tex TS Member

We live in a residential area in a town of 10k but skunks are amazingly abundant (to much cat food).

I bought a small animal trap and after the 1st catch I called animal control to dispose of the "prize" - they shot the thing in my yard and not only knocked a hole in the trap, stunk up the neighborhood.

I then covered my trap with a card board cover
    with the handle sticking up. It worked well but it finally wore out after 20 or so skunks.

Then I fabricated a sheetmetal cover with a slip off cover on the closed end.

I have trapped at least 65 skunks with out a problem disposing of them.

They will not spray in the box and I just pick up the trap, load it in my pickup, drive into the country, remove the end cover, open the trap and patiently wait for the skunk to exit.

Patience is the key word because they can spray for a considerable distance and the less agitated they are the less likely they will target you.

#71/2 handicap finishes the experience - of course be certain they are going down wind!!!

unc

11. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Several ways beside what has been said above. I have succesfully 22'd them in the trap from about 15 feet with out problem. I have covered the trap except for the gate as mentioned above to calm the critter and then placing a large sheet of cardboard between me and the trap, opened the door and let the skunk out. The bigger the card board the better. Another way a pro told me to do that I haven't tried was to place the empty trap at a 45 degree angle from a tree limb. Tie a Long rope to the trap and throw it over the limb of the tree. Place a garbage can full of water under the tree limb in such a manner that when the trap is lifted it will dangle ofer the garbage can full of water. After baiting the trap and catching a unwanted critter in the trap just pull on the rope and raise the trap till it stops swinging and lower it into the garbage can full of water.

Post-2

12. biff

biff Active Member

Quicky, what is the best way to collect the spray stuff? How much of it is there in a normal sized skunk? When I walked toward the cage he seemed really agitated and there is already some scent to just having him in there, my outside cat is also kinda freaked out, I think he thinks there are more where that one came from, he may need a sedative before this is over. Thanks for all the suggestions. Biff

13. smartass

smartass TS Member

What a wealth of information available here, a veritable cupernica of knowledge.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Biff, quote: "Quicky, what is the best way to collect the spray stuff? How much of it is there in a normal sized skunk? When I walked toward the cage he seemed really agitated and there is already some scent to just having him in there, my outside cat is also kinda freaked out, I think he thinks there are more where that one came from, he may need a sedative before this is over. Thanks for all the suggestions."

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT EVER try to 'milk' a live skunk.<br>
    <br>
    You can do this to a dead skunk, provided you had good rubber gloves and clothing that is disposable, and wear goggles. You simply squeeze the nodules on either side of the anus and collect the chemical warefare ooze in a film cannister or something similar.<br>
    <br.
    Again, the skunk MUST be dead, or you are asking for serious trouble.<br>
    <br>
    Those of us who are smart and need skunk essence simply buy it, after someone else does the dirty work.

15. quicky

quicky Member

I collect it with a hypodermic syringe. Insert the needle on either side of the anus into the gland and pull it from the gland. 1 to 2 oz per skunk. Be certain the skunk is dead! Wear rubber gloves and do not get any saliva from a skunk on your own mucous membranes. They are great carriers of rabies. Some viruses can live in a freezer for up to 6 months, rabies included. Some people also wear a particulate mask to guard against airborne virus transmission. DO NOT squeeze the glands!! Store it in glass and then put that glass in a coffee can full of kitty litter and the smell should be abated. Will store for a long time. Quicky

16. quicky

quicky Member

re: a skunk may have licked its fur and after handling you rub your eyes or nose.... I have trapped for many years and discretion is definitely the better part of valor. Use care when handling weasels or canids. Quicky

17. quicky

quicky Member

short answer: No

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Or you could make a pet out of the skunk. Problem solved........lol lol

Oooooeeeeeeee..........They sure do stink.

Glad it isn't my problem.

Good Luck! Hauxfan!

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

When you do all this please take a video. I want a copy. It'll be worth more than the "Essence de la pue"

20. KW post 5

KW post 5 TS Member

Biff one thing to remember 90% of all skunks carry rabies I know went through shots so what ever you do doit carefully Kevin Wunder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best way to remove a skunk from a live trap
how to dispose of a skunk in a live trap
how to free skunk from trap

how to remove a skunk from a live trap

how to remove skunk from live trap
remove skunk from live trap
removing a skunk from a live trap
removing skunk from live trap