1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to raise shot pattern?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pcrc11, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcrc11

pcrc11 TS Member

My son has been shooting SCTP for the last 3 years and normally shoots in the 23-25 range. Last few weeks we have been noticing more misses with shot going under bottom top of target. Also seems most of his hits were on bottom of bird. We did a pattern board and discovered his shot pattern is on the low side. He has an adjustable butt pad which we adjusted but never seemed to make much difference. I am of the opinion that if he does not change his eye relationship to the barrel butt pad placement onn the shoulder would not make a whole lot of difference. Should we be raising the comb instead to raise the shot pattern?

2. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

You can get a first class job with quick service from Tron who post's here. His pricing is very reasonable also. Having the adjustable comb is a good long term investment in his shooting. Good luck, Bob

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Raise the comb or add some mole skin to the comb in layers until you're where you need to be.

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun. If you raise your eye in relation to the front bead, you raise the POI. Simple. Take Smok'n Joe's advice. Move in small increments a thin shim at a time until you see the desired results.

Jeff

6. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

A couple more thoughts:

Check for gun fit...you mentioned SON...he may have grown enough to need a little extra LOP.

I mentioned lowering the muzzle end of the rib...that is not as difficult as it may seem. Take a look at the sight currently on the gun...you may consider replacing it with a small lite pipe like the Site Science clip ons that are sit lower on the rib than a conventional Bradley style screw in bead. The net effect actually raises the POI.

A 4 way adjustable comb can be installed on the existing stock for about $150. But certainly try the temporary mole skin application first.

Finally, has he been shooting the same gun over the last three years? He's posting some excellent scores! He's got talent and it may be time to upgrade the gun!

Smok'n Joe

7. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I think Stan Baker said that the easiest way to raise a shot pattern was to wear cowboy boots!! LOL
    Seriously, your eye/face on a shotgun stock is just like the rear site on a rifle.
    Raise the site to raise the point of impact/lower the site to lower it.

8. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I would guess he has grown out of the gun. I agree with the moleskin. Use narrow strips right on the top of the comb. Watch out so that it does not roll over onto the side of the stock & force the face away from the stock. If you have the time & energy & access to a pattern board,you can try different loads to raise the POI

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'd guess the kid's comb is sloped toward the front? As he grew, his cheek moved farther forward on the comb? Raise the comb and set it parallel to the rib and possibly add a little more length too for his best POI. Kids change a lot in three years!!

Hap

10. pcrc11

pcrc11 TS Member

Thanks for confirming my thought. Unfortunatley he shoots an 11-87 with non adjustable comb in a field model. I am going to let him start using my 11-87 trap that has the parallel comb. His gun has the morgan butt pad and he is afraid that if he does not have that pad on my gun he will not mount gun in his shoulder the same and that will mess him up even further. He also shoots on the skeet team and I think he should shoot his gun for that as he is not dealing with a rising target like in trap.

11. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Smack the barrel on a bag of shot. Always worked on my Perazzi
    single barrels.

12. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

If none of the professional advice you have already received seems to achieve the desired effect of raising your P.O.I. , I might offer a rather simple solution ; one that involves absolutely NO cost to you, or modification to the stock or rib settings that you have now.

At the shot, lift your head to see the target break......*smile*

For thirty years now, this has worked for me - every single time !!

13. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Raise the comb height 1/8 and you will raise the POI about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Mole skin does a good job for this.

I would also check the length of pull on the gun stock, he may be creeping down on the stock to far. Usually about an 1 1/2 from his nose to his thumb is about the right amount. You may just need to add more length to the stock. We find this quite common with kids from one year to the next.This will work if there is drop from the back of the comb to the front of the comb, if not, once again the mole skin will help.

Good luck and good shooting

Dennis Menning
    AIM Coach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.