1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to put down old worn out auto

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ChairborneRanger, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChairborneRanger

ChairborneRanger Member

How about call up the local junk dealer and haul it away?

2. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

One of my favorite is to drain the coolant and engine oil out, and run till the engine quits. It usually lasts longer than you expect! Don

3. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Donate it to one of the Trade Schools in your area. They will pick it up and give a tax right off for some amount. You can also sell it for scrap. See if there is a metals recycler in your area.
    Mike Battista

4. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Donate it and take the tax deduction.

5. Robb

Robb Member

40 grains of Red Dot should do it.

6. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

A million years ago, when I was in tech school the auto trades club had a fund raiser with a couple of old cars. You could take a swing at one junker with a sledge hammer for a fee. You had to wear appropriate saftey gear. The first few swings cost more than the later ones. Once all the windows were broken the price went down. With the second one they did as BIRDTRACKER suggested. They sold chances on how long it would run w/o coolant or engine oil. The winner recieved a portion of the pot. I was supprised how long it ran!

Rem31TC

7. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

BLOW IT UP !!!!!! THAT'S WHAT THEDEMOGUY WOULD DO...lol

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

start it up in front of the salvage yard. Have the title with you.

Put a brick on the gas pedal and have a couple cold ones. You may want to have a pool on how long it runs.

My 48 Chrysler went two hours, couldn't kill it.

But it was pretty sick after that.

HM

9. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

All right there's a lot of bad IDEAS above. Just sell it to the local salvage yard. If the motor is good or tranny he will resell it. That money keeps him and his employee's working and helps our economy. Most salvage yerds main business is parts, scrap is secondary. Recycle it's the American way! I am in the business so my reply could be a little opinionated. Regards, Bill

10. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

bill,

i need 2 rocker spears for a '65 biscayne. help?

brett d.

11. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

BLOW IT UP !!!!!! then scrap it, more fun.

Bill

12. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Why would anyone in their right mind want to put down a faithful old automobile. What are you people? Savages! The proper and most humane thing to do is to take it to the auto mechanic and have him let it idle until it runs out of gas. This way the faithful auto will feel no pain. It is truly the only way to pay respect to a faithful reliable friend of the family. I had to stop typing this to wipe my eyes several times.

p.s. After reading the dog thread I just couldn't resist.

13. gotbass

gotbass Member

whew, I thought we were talking about putting down a 1100 or 1187 or 303 or 390 or 391. I knew that it wasn't a SX-1 as you can't wear them out.

14. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

We would park em behind the barn and then when it was time we would get them ready for demolition night at either the county fair or the state fair. The last one standing got the prize mooney. Rich. (inPeoria,Az.)

P.S. There dignaty might end on a high note!!

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Park it out in the yard and just forget about it. When your new one gets worse than the old one was, you can then resurrect it. The grass will grow up around it and it will be eventually concealed from view. When you need another car in the future, just mow the grass for a while and you'll find one. Works for old refrigerators and washing machines too!

16. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Southern lawn furniture? Neighbors will not like that. If it is insured against thieft...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.