1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best way to polish up a bore?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by billyboy07208, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Whats the best way to polish up a bore?
    I have the grey flex hone,but what can I use after that? flitz,toothpaste?rottenstone? what have you? TIA, BILLY

2. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

000 steel wool and some mothers mag polish should do the final touches...

3. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

O I wrapped the steel wool on to a wire brush and then dabbed the polish to the inside of my chamber

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Steel wool. 000/0000

5. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I think Allems has a fluid hone

6. Mapper

Mapper Member

I used to use the fine stuff that rock polishers use in their tumblers. Just like talcum powder. Machine shops sometimes also have very fine grits. Actually, Brownells ball hones do a nice job.

7. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Remington makes a gun cleaning product called "40-X" that has a small amount of abrasive in it. I think it's intended to clean lead out of pistol and rifle bores. It might serve your purpose. Google "REMINGTON 40-X BORE CLEANER" for more information. You can buy it on Amazon.com.

Ted K.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Billy, if you decide to go the steel wool route, be sure to buy the special grade 0000 used by furniture refinishers. You can get it at most good wood working shops. It is more consistent and is guaranteed to have no strands larger the what is marked on the package. It costs a buck or two more than what you would buy in a hardware store, but it's worth it. It is a HUGE step up from regular steel wool.

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

How about some 0000 steel wool & Flitz. Some people use Flitz as an action job on tight hand guns.

Phil Berkowitz

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

or you could send them to briley for polishing I would guess less than $100 for a retail customer. A while ago they honed a set of barrels for $30 per barrel if i remember correctly.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The barrel hones from Brownell's will get the job done.

I also use a worn (fine) hone for choke tubes. These hones will not remove enough metal to detect with a barrel gauge, but make cleanup a snap at the end of the day.

If your gun is ported, run the hones in both directions to eliminate any burrs, which might cause excessive fouling or even wad spitting, which may make the shooter next to you cranky.

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I've used everything. The very best polish I ever got was with a half-inch dowel rod I cut a slit in. Then I put some two-inch wide-and-as -long-as-needed-for-a-snug-fit red crocus cloth in the slit, wound it tight, and set up for a long session with a power drill.

Not too much drag - it will get too hot in a hurry, but dampen it with oil water (or oil? I can't remember.) now and then. As the cloth wears, tear off a bit and take up the diameter difference with a couple of sheets of paper inside.

You will get a polish you would be happy to eat off if you like hot dogs or taquitos.

Neil

13. quartering

quartering Active Member

now that we know how to do it, what's wrong with your bore that makes you want to polish it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.