1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best way to pattern a shotgun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by edthearcher, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

should you use a bench rest or stand up when you pattern a shotgun

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Are you looking for Point-of-Impact or a looksee at what the gun will do downrange?

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

"Patterning" the gun - that is, finding out how many pellets go into various areas of the pattern - is not affected by the two variables you mention, though I always use a bench to get the added data of where those pellets are as well.

However, that second question - where the gun itself shoots (POI) - is best answered up close (I like 13 yards) from a bench. In this case you are trying to make sure it shoots straight right/left and get a good idea how high relative to the point of aim.

As long as you are there, though, take a few of offhand shots just to make sure there aren't any surprises.

Neil

4. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

I have used the back of the traphouse on one ocasion.....merlyn...

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I use upright method with a ladder as a rest for me on POI placement. For pattern reading effectiveness analysis, just shoot offhand.

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Merlyn, were you checking POI or pattern? LOL Good seeing you at the Fall Hdc.

Enjoyed chatting with you, Martin,and Devi also. You all take care.

Steve Elliott

7. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

I should have been clearer had a raised rib put on my trap gun, shot it at paper was shooting low real low so it was suggested that I raise the comb to bring up the pattern. that is why I asked is it better to stand up as you would do trap shooting. or use a bench rest?
    another point some of you guys must think being a smart ass is funny, but believe me it only shows your IQ, or should I say the lack of it. have a good day.

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Do like Cheney did....shoot a lawyer....

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.