1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to increase BT-99 Plus weight ...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

What is the best way to increase a guns weight...while maintaining it s appearance and balance.

I have a 34" Bt-99 plus that I swing too fast sometimes...which causes me to flinch, or not be able to pull the trigger. I determined the flinch was beause my brain knows it's a miss before I do. Of course when you swing past the target..then back up...you're tooo far behind...and you try to catch up...well you get the picture. Brain says.. "Nope ain't gona pull trigger"..LOL. At least that's the way it works with me.

I had this problem on the skeet field last year and it was an easy fix by simply getting a 10lb. gun...end of issue and the gun is silky smooth to swing.

I have a 34" BT-99 Plus with a custom fitted "BT-99" stock. Not the original "BT-99 Plus" stock. I didn't like the lack of adjustability on the "BT-99 Plus" recoil pad and substituted a "BT-99" stock...which already had a Country Gentleman pad adjuster and comb.

This gun is light and is is doing the same as my skeet gun was last year. So my question is:

What is the best way to add weight to a shotgun ...and still maintain it's balance and hopefully it's appearance.

Thanks...Stan

2. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Stan, i sell a few guns and have found that if the gun is to light (swings to fast) i use a C & H barrel Clamp reducer to slow down the swing. If that makes it too barrel heavy i then try a C & H stock reducer in the stock.Some people just use "weights" but i like the Mercury reducers better.I am "sure" this will be JUMPED ON but, that is what has worked for me and some of the people i have sold guns to. JMO Oh by the way I shoot a 90T that weighs 11.4 lbs Joe joe90t

3. StansCustoms

Hello Joe..

I was hoping there was something that would be less obvious than clamp on weights...but I haven't seen such a thing. Just fishing I guess....

As far as offsetting barrell weights with Mercury reducers in the stock...do the Mercury reducers really help recoil...more than just added weight does?

I've never done a lot as far as weight juggling is concerned..never neded to till now I guess.

Thanks for the help..

Best regards...Stan

4. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

Stan
    I also shoot a BT-99 Plus with a PFS Stock and barrel weight. I tried to get my guns weight up to 8lbs and that was not to easy. I added weight to the stock as well as the barrel. It wasn't pretty and very awkward. I think you might be looking for a new trap gun.

George Ware

5. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Stan, i think the Mercury Reducers "Do" reduce the "perceived recoil" to me. I am sure others will "comment" on this. JMO Joe joe90t

6. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Make sure they don't get stuck in the stock! Right joe90t! Joe

7. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I added a ten ounce mercury weight to the stock of my BT99. I notice an improvement in felt recoil. It makes sense because the gun is significantly heavier.

I must also comment that I did some shooting recently with a well fitted Kolar that didn't weigh as much as my BT99 does with the extra mercury. The felt recoil on that gun was far less than I feel now.

That means we're back to the old FIT discussion - about which I can't agree more. Until I save enough for one of those Kolar T/S guns, I'll make do with the heavy Browning.

BTW, I've notice that saving for a gun is like trying to hit a moving target - the price increases seem to regularly outstrip my savings program.

Larry Frieders

8. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

12shot2, Man that is the truth. Tough to get out. Joe, sorry we missed you in Tucson. We will be there(Tucson) for the Spring Grand and hope to see you. Joe joe90t

9. StansCustoms

Hello George..

I may have to go with another gun..as you mentioned, but this gun isn't far away from working. I have always shot 32" trap guns and this 34" barrel has helped slow the swing. I have a 32" BT-99 that I "really out run" targets with...nice gun but "flinch city" for me.

The longer barrell was almost enough by itself...but not quite. Without getting into big money I wanted to exhaust the advantages of an adjustable rib which is factory on the Plus gun. The rib has proved to be a big help along with the adjustable comb and Nelson pad adjuster.

This menagerie of two combined guns may be nothing more than a model to fit a gun with in the end. It is certainly adjustable enough. Even if I have weights hanging all over it...and it really hits targets effortlessly...I guess it doesn't really matter what it looks like.. (except for my vanity..lol)

Best regards...Stan

10. wlc

wlc Member

There is room for quite a bit of lead tape on the barrel where the forearm covers it. Just keep checking that it doesn't prevent the forearm from latching properly. I did that on my wifes BT because she didn't like the appearance of the clamp on weights. With the lead and a mercury reducer in the stock, we added quite a bit of weight. Whiz White used to sell lead tape with adhesive on it.

11. StansCustoms

I thought about the moving target...Kolars, and other K guns. You are right...like a carrot on a stick out in front of a mule, just out of reach.

I think it's mental anyway. I remember when Brownings were out of reach for many shooters...now they are a cheap starting place..LOL.

Truth of the matter is..a good trap shooter with properly set up gas gun could give anyone a fit. Except for the mind game...of course!

Stan..

12. StansCustoms

wic..

I must have been posting at the same time you were.

Lead tape? I didn't know about that...I like the sound of that though..

Whiz White..someone I can google?

Thanks..Stan

13. wlc

wlc Member

He's a sponsor on here. Try this link or give him a call, he's very helpful. http://www.swsupply.com/

14. StansCustoms

15. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Meadow Industries makes a barrel weight I use on my BT99.

The link is above.

It doesn't take a lot of weight to modify barrel speed but the position of the weight is critical for fine tuning it. Hiding weight in the forend is great for aesthetics but severely limits how far out you can place it. This one is about as minimalist and non-descript as you can get for one that's going to be exposed.

I positioned mine about 2 inches ahead of the forend tip and attached it with electrical tape wrapped around the barrel and beneath the rib through the vent slot. After a few hundred targets, I decided I wanted to slow the barrel a touch more so I repositioned it another inch forward. After a couple thousand targets I was satisfied so I removed the tape wrap and used the doublesided tape it came with to semi-permanenly mount it. Very neat and clean looking.

Adding any form of weight to the butt reduces recoil, but since the weight is near the pivot point I find it has less effect on gun swing. I'd suggest adding weight to the butt (homemade lead weights are as good as anything) to get the total weight desired, then work with a barrel weight to achieve the muzzle dynamic that works.

My BT99 came to me with a SoftTouch and Morgan adjuster and was waaaaaaay muzzle light compared to the sporting guns I was accustomed to. Adding the MI barrel weight brought the total to 9 lbs even. It still feels "muzzle light" but only when holding it unmounted or when raising it to my shoulder. Balance or rather, imbalance, is critical to mounting a gun from the low gun start, but not so much for a trap gun that is firmly premounted and anchored before the target appears. I can now easily understand how some people can shoot 10 & 11 lb trap guns effectively. If I could, I'd experiment with more than my 9lbs, but the SoftTouch already reduces recoil adequately and doesn't leave room for any more weight anyway.

BTW, I stocked a Perazzi TM1 to match the BT99 in total weight (to within 1 ounce) and identical balance. The two are as alike as any 2 guns of different make could be and the proof is in the pudding. On practice nights I've shot many back-to-back 25's alternating the BT99 and TM1. Though the handling is the same, the triggers are different, but it doesn't seem to bother me from the 16.

16. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Automotive stick on wheel weights have an adhesive backing. They come in various weights and sizes. Marc

17. StansCustoms

Mike Campbell..

Do you use the 3 0z. fixed weight, or the adjustable model.

Thanks ...Stan

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I drill holes in the forearm wood 1/4" Diameter and fill them with molten lead
    and add shot to the Stock Cavity untill I get it to balance at the hinge pin

This is trial and error to get the weight distribution wanted. Some stock cavities are larger than others, sometimes you need a dowel pin to take up space of the lead shot.

Be careful how full you fill the holes, you may need to file the lead with a large Rat Tail File for Bbl clearance so forearm will lock up.

But this works for me.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. StansCustoms

Got any pics of the hole locations Gary..

Thanks..Stan

20. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Stan,

I wasn't aware of the adjustable model but I think I'd still buy the 3 ounce one. Three ounces is enuff to make a difference and, again, sliding it back and forth a couple of inches makes a noticeable difference in handling. Put it on the end of the barrel and it would feel like a "pig on a shovel."

I've tried to avoid gizmos that can be fiddled with. I used a BT99 with an adjustable comb and butt plate, two beads and the barrel weight to figure out what works for me. As soon as I could, I stopped changing stuff and built a TM1 to duplicate the BT99, but with zero adjustments and no center bead. Fixed full choke of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

boydsgunstocks truth bt 99-plus

what is the best way to clean a bt99