1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to fill stock around recoil reducer?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I got a C&H Mercury Recoil reducer for one of my guns, but now I have no idea how to fill in the gap between it and the butt-pad and around it so that it doesn't move around?

Is there an easy way to do this? What products can I use that are still removable if I need to down the line?

Thanks

2. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

To fill the gap between the unit and the butt pad, you can try a wine bottle cork. To fill around it, maybe stuff the space with rubber. Hope that give you an idea.

Peter

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I use a piece of dowel cut to the correct length. The end by the butt pad is cut at a slight angle to conform to the base of the pad. If I need any additional diameter so the reducer and pad don't rattle, I use ordinary electrician's tape to wrap around them..

4. vdt

vdt Active Member

glue gun

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rubber washers, cardboard or tightly folded $100 bills will each work well.

Pat Ireland

6. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Bob K has it right.

BB

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Thin foam under masking tape around the reducer length wise, leave enough at the end so you can pull it out one day, more foam between it against the pad.

8. andybull

andybull Active Member

Wrap electrical tape around the reducer. For the length you can use a dowel or nylon washers.

Andy

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I place a piece of string around the reducer as well as place a rubber washer at the bottom. I then wrap duck tape around the string and reducer. When I want to take the reducer out of the stock I just pull on the string.
    Steve Balistreri

10. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Buy the correct diameter rubber heater hose at your parts store and cut a piece to fill the space between the reducer and pad. Works great.
    Carey

11. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I once stuffed a rag in there and it worked perfect. As you can see there are many many ideas and should not take a degree in rocket science to figure out.

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Electrical tape works good for me, in fact sometimes it's hard to get that bugger out. Whatever will fit to take up the end. One thing I learned the hard way is to not let the unit touch the stock bolt head. It will pound it in and you'll be trying to figure out why your stock keeps getting loose. I used some pvc pipe for that.

13. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Expanding foam in a can works well. It fills the void
    and locks the reducer in place.Easy to remove with a
    screw driver. Just chip it out.

14. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Ball up or roll duck tape to size. If duck tape had been invented during the American revolution, our counry would be built on it...

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am very pleased that nobody has yet suggested Gorilla Glue.

Pat Ireland

16. washandwear

washandwear Member

Pat

Gorilla Glue great for mending the Gun Glove!

Regards

W&W

17. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Put a couple of bands of masking tape around the circumference to center it in the hole. It the reducer has a tapped hole at one end be sure it faces the but plate. This was you can thread a bolt in the reducer to pull it out. Fill the space between the reducer and the butt plate with almost anything. The recoil will force the reducer forward against the stock bolt. Having a good fit on the outside diameter is important to keep the reducer from moving around.

If your stock has a large oval shaped hole like some of the older brownings you can make a plate from 16 gauge steel the shape of the butt plate and attach the recoil reducer to the plate with a screw.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.