1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to compensate for bird height

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brent375hh, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

When the birds are going lower or higher that normal, I hold lower on the house for high birds and higher over the house for low birds. This way I am moving the gun up more to catch the high rising ones (upward momentum)and just move a little vertical for the flat ones.

Would I be better off to use the same hold over the house and shoot under the low ones and cover the high ones?

What is the standard way, or is it the each their own?

Thanks

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I like to make the same move on all the birds. I hold higher on high birds and lower on low birds. HMB

3. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

If you stop and think about it for a minute your hold points are backward! If you hold a high gun hold point for birds coming out low when will you finally see them? then you have to come down on it to shoot it.
    Then if you hold low when the bird are going high you are playing catch up and on hard left or right bird you pass them up in elevation and shoot over them.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If you have to adjust your hold points to "compensate" for high or low targets, you're timing your shots (pulling the trigger because you've moved far enough) instead of locking on the target with your eyes on the target. You're trying to shoot at where you expect the target to be rather than at where it actually is.

There is no need to adjust hold points for high or low targets; there is only the need to see the target and move the gun to where it is.

MK

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Attack all targets from below and behind them regardless of height. You'll break more clays by shooting the clay for what it's doing rather than what it's supposed to do!

Hap

6. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Just to be more clear, I never swing top to bottom. I do hold a couple of feet over the house for low birds so that an aggressive move to them does not shoot over them. Likewise I hold on the top of the house or back edge for high birds so that aggresive move to them gets me more gun movement that I thought would compensate for the increased vertical acceleration of high flying targets.

They are all attacked from below and behind.

It would appear that the answers I got that all the top shooters hold the same distance over the house for all birds.

Do they use the same bead to bird relationship for high and low as well?

7. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I use the same hold on the house for all targets.On high birds concentrate on you follow through much like a hard angle.If you focus on a bird to bead relationship you will likely stop your gun to watch the bird break at which time it will likely fly away untouched.Jerry

8. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Harlan Campbell Jr. has a great dvd out on just this subject. It's called "trap shooting my way" He advocates the highest hold possible at all times in order to facilitate the least amount of gun movement before the shot. He thinks all movement should be basically horizontal. I've been trying to do this and I'm having pretty good success with it. It works especially well in low light conditions.
    Bill in MI

9. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I don't think Harlan advocates the highest hold possible at all times, at least that's not what he told me. What are you going to do in extreme bright conditions? The changing light determines your hold point. According to Harlan at his clinic. Lots of variables to consider. J.W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.