1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Way to Clean Western Trap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Our Western 1577A trap is covered with clay dust and fragments from years of use. What is the best way to clean this trap? I don't think that steam cleaning would be a good idea. What about an engine cleaner? Or should I resort to good old yankee elbow grease? Thanks.

Porcupine

2. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Break Cleaner. Air hose first. Wipe with paper towels and/or use a stiff brush.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would first suggest using a leaf blower. That will get rid of a lot of dust and chips. Next, a brush, some rags and a bucket of cleaner. Soap and water is not bad as a general cleaner.

Absolutely do not use Yankee Elbow Grease if you want a good job. A good Southern Scrub will work much better.

Pat Ireland

4. rwm12

rwm12 Member

Steam clean, air dry and lubricate. Worked for us for years before we went to Pat traps.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Gunk Foamy Engine bright after a session with the air hose.

HM

6. traploader

traploader Member

Good post. A spray can of brake cleaner with a wire brush and air hose to blow out chips and gunk. Avoid spraying rubber parts and wear a mask & eye protection.

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Hook a chain to it and pull out with tractor, install Pat traps.

8. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Put it in the back of your truck and haul it down to the two-bit car wash and get after it.

jim brown

9. DblAdb

DblAdb TS Member

Roger C and QRP been around forever doing a great job of keeping targets in the air! Mike

10. samples

samples Member

I work on all of the Traps for the Illinois State Trap Shoot. I simply take them to the Car Wash, Wash them off with the Engine Cleaner, Rinse them on the Clear Water, Take back home and blow out the Motor and all over with an air compressor, and away we go. You will need to change the oil in the machine after you wash it as there could be some water in it. DO wash out the solinoids on the top and the bottom. I use transmission fluid for the oil in the machine and dump a full quart in the machine. The Guys from Quality Parts can get you all parts you need and are great to work with. Dick

11. rwm12

rwm12 Member

We used to get parts from H-S Precision, Inc., Rapid City, SD 57703 Phone 605 341-3006 before we went to Pat Traps.

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

H-S Precision is the manufacturing facility and owner of the W-W machines.

They will not sell directly to the customer. You have to go through a distrubutor to get their parts.

I use a steam cleaner on the rebuilts.

Whiz White<BR>
    W-W Distributor

13. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Please wrap the motor in plastic before using water! I guess it depends on whether you want to sell them or maintain them. I still like brake cleaner.

14. guncase

guncase TS Member

Before you have QRP rebuild your handsets,,, call Barry Roach and ask how many of the "just rebuilt" traps had to be "just rebuilt" AGAIN on the 2nd day of the state shoot. I think it was 3 or 4 yrs ago.

15. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

I think Murphy's Law would apply here...If it's not broke don't fix it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.