1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best way to clean mec reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by omahasportingsupply, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I use a clean paint brush just for the maintenance cleaning. I use a parts brush (stiff bristles) for cleaning the gunk and sometimes canned air to reach the crevices. Toothbrushes (retired electrics work good) will shine up one also. Please don't put the toothbrush back in your mouth as Red Dot makes you shoot your mouth off....... LOL. When I first get a used machine in I bathe it in gun scrubber until I find metal. I like to lube the metal to metal parts with silicone since it stay slicker longer and is not a dirt magnet like some oils or greases when it is dried. IMHO YOUR silicone may fly farther.

2. famill00

famill00 TS Member

This is totally not good advice, but when I dug out my dads 1970 model mec jr from my uncles garage, it was coated with greasy stuff. I sprayed it with engine degreaser and took it to the carwash for some hi-pressure wash. Then I lubed it up good and it works great now!

Forrest

3. mecman

mecman TS Member

Mac, do as Nyttro said, best sugestion on this thread, Gary

4. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

The first thing that comes to mind would be 4 lbs. of gunpowder and a 3 minute fuse......

Second thing... Try spray carberator cleaner or contact cleaner. Usually that will cut the film.

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Do not use carburetor clearer as it will remove the paint.

I learned the hard way.

I now use paint thinner and a old small paint brush. Remove and lift (spring) what you can while cleaning. Do not loose the little index ball. I do remove the collet if real dirty.

It took me a good while to dismantle and repaint mine. Reassemble took even longer. Ray.......

6. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

That is factory suggested retail. Most of the gun shops here in the Phx. area are running there price around $110.00. And that is a MEC jr V. Prices go up from there to about $124.00 I haven't seen a Jr. going for much more than that in this vacinity or area. Rich.(inPeoria, Az.)

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I take the press down to bare components and scrub in kerosene or mineral spirits. A quick rinse with any good degreaser, even alcohol and then blow it dry with air. A light lubrication during the assembly process and you're good to go. You could even leave a light film of kerosene on the press, just be sure the bar and slide area is dry. A little touch of graphite on the charge bar and on the bottom of the primer feed tray will keep things moving. You could always use your dishwasher on pot scrubber cycle if you don't like the extra work. :)

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

if you dont want the flamable stuff simple green and a water hose blow dry with compressed air works good on tha ajust.charge bars too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.