1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to clean Bull Heads?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    My brother is in town this weekend from Austin Texas and he wants to go fishing. I know a place near MIlwaukee where I live that the Bull heads are plentiful. We will be using wax worms. Are the Bull heads good eating? Anyone one know how to clean them? Anyone know best way to prepare them to eat?

Steve Balistreri

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Haven't had bullheads since I was a kid.

I assume we're talking, "looks like a catfish, only black?"

Watch out for the spines on the top and side fins.

Remove the skin and spines. If I recall, the meat is orange/red.

Good eating.

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Slice around the head, slit the belly open, crack the head off (guts come out with head) and then peel the skin off. They actually taste pretty good (unlike that dog food tasting cat fish crap at the grocer store).

4. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I have ate a lot of them when I was a kid more than a half a century ago. They were part of our food supply back then along with anything else that had feathers, fur, skin, or scales that was edible.

Skin them, fillet them, soak in salt water in the fridge for a few hours or overnight, dry them off, roll in a mixture of flour and corn meal along with a little salt and pepper ( little chili powder is optiona), and fry in oil, lard, or whatever you use. Always good with some good old home fried potatoes, and fried okra.

Probably not good for your health that way, but both of my parents lived well into their 90's eating stuff like that.

Breakfast was a little different, that was usually pancakes, with thick sweet cream, from our old jersy cow, that was ladled on top then a good thick sprinkling of sugar to top it off.

5. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Nail a snall piece of plywood on a tree. Take your bullhead and put a spike (nail) through the head onto the board. Slice around the head and belly and pull the skin and guts right out.
    Chris

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you are really careful you can get a nice little fillet off each side leaving the guts and most of the bones for disposal. Usually these fish don't get that big so the fillets are like what you would get off a panfish in size. Very good eating especially if you bread and deep fry.

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I haven't had one for 55 years but we used to pound a nail through their head into a plank and cut around head with a sharp knife and skin em with a pair of pliars. I thought they were the MN state fish until I saw a T-Shirt that said the state fish was a carp.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My wife loves bullheads. Nice white flesh, quite rich.

I put a ten penny nail through a board, and she would put the head on the nail and pull the skin off with pliers.

If you poke yourself with the spine it will swell up like a bee sting and hurt like hell. Benjie stepped on one and howled for a long time when he was 7.

HM

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If you cut them into large bite size hunks, roll them in a 50 50 mixture of rice flour and corn meal and deep fry them in a deep fryer - they will taste like lobster

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There is a nice chunk of boneless meat on each side of the spine. Cut into small chunks, dip in a beaten egg and then cover with flavored bread crumbs. Then deep fry. HMB

11. JLSIMON

JLSIMON Member

You need a Minnesotan to explain how to do it right. Tron has it right. In Southern Minnesota they can clean with a couple cuts, a twist and a pull. I never have mastered it. Otherwise clean them like catfish. Watch out for the sharp top fin and side fins. If you get poked it hurts like the devil. The quick cure is to rub where you get poked on the fishes belly and the sting goes away. Don't ask, it works.

Depending on size, filleting may take a month of Sundays. If they are smaller fry them whole. To eat,take your fork and slide the meat off the bone behind the rib cage on both sides. There is also a chuck of meat right above each rib cage. You can also carefully take what meat there is off the rib cage leaving the ribs intact. As an option you can use the Neandrathal approach (my favorite) and pick it up like an ear of corn and very carefully eat the meat off the bones. Bones are small, so be careful. Enjoy one of the delicious treats of the midwest! Jim

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

Nails, boards, pliers...geez people, what kinda monsters are you attacking here?

Just filet them the same you would most any fish. First cut behind the pecs down to the backbone, turn and make the second cut along the spine (right through the ribcage since these are small ones) to the tail, then slice the skin and rib cages off & you're in business with 2 nice little slightly root-beer colored filets.

I never cease to be amazed by what people think they have to do to clean a catfish.

(don't forget to make 'em grunt a couple times...)

13. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Fillet them with a electric knife..

14. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

use a long shank hook when fishing them, makes the unhooking easier. fished them in the Sauk and Long Prairie river after milking and chores in the evening when i was a kid. lots of fun. good luck, dennis

15. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Yummmm!

If you have a big mess of them, pull the skin off and then cut the filets off.

I've coated them in everything from cormeal to pancake flour. Add a few onion rings and you've got something special.

TNCoach

16. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I was young, so I never got in on the cleaning part. But I do remember they were delicious when they were fried up.

Enjoy!

Hauxfan!

17. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Bull Heads??? Yuck. Gut, skin, and smoke. Wayne

18. philk

philk Member

Best way to fix them is toss em in a dumpster and go out and find some catfish.

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Bullheads here are a small trash fish. Not enough meat to make it worthwhile.

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

When I was a kid I was the bullhead kid! Couldn't tell you how many mesh baskets full I brought home.

#1- bring along a pair of dikes, side cutters, electricians pliers, ETC ETC As soon as you bring the fish up to hand you cut all 3 spines off the slippery bastards. The two on the sides and the big one on top.

However you decide to clean them this will make the last act of defiance on the part of the Bullhead impossible. That was the first thing my dad taught me about fishing for bullheads. The barbs are not poisonous but they do poke a hole and hurt way more then you would think they should. Maybe it's that slime on them? I just know those pliers have saved me a lot of jabs and that those punctures will hurt for a couple of days.

Nail them through the head to a board and either fillet them and then skin them or Cut a circle of skin all the way around the head, then crack the head/neck and pull to skin them. Either method works but I used to fillet the meat off the live fish nailed to the board and then using the thin fillet knife to remove the meat right off the skin. Same way you would fillet a perch.

As for cooking them? After a day in milk or water with vinegar it won't matter much. They taste far better then they get credit for. Much better eating then those farm raised catfish. Good luck and post a few pics if you get any that are 15 inches or longer. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.