1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to clean a wood stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kyle Spieles, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

What do guys use to clean the wood stock on a gun without hurting the finish? Would a light spray of rem-oil on a cloth hurt it? Thanks for all the input in advance.

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Don't use any petroleum oil on your wood.

I'm a pretty big fan of Murphy's Oil Soap, and have been for a while. I restore and shoot old guns ... 19th and even 18th century guns, and it is amazing what lies under that black 'wood patina' sometimes. Dilute MOS on a clean rag - old, wore-out washcloths are perfect - just on the wet side of 'damp' and take your rime.

If you want to get your checkering clean, a kid's (soft) toothbrush and MOS (and patience) does a sovereign job.

When I'm done, I wipe everything down ... wood & metal ... with Ballistol (for a bunch of reasons you can find on their website, if you wish.)

On a nice piece of old timber, I usually rub a few drops of Kramerize it, too. A well-rewarded labor of love, Kramer.

Bob

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- I am also a fan of Murphy's Oil Soap. It is great for guns and lots of other things around the house. I am also a fan of automobile paste wax for gun stocks. The wax will clean the wood a little and shine it a lot.

Your suggestion of a tooth brush for cleaning checkering is also good. But I will add that you should not use the same tooth brush that you used to clean your teeth. Checkering deserves its own brush.

Pat Ireland

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Clenzoil on the wood, metal, and leather products, it will amaze you ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

Many years ago, my corporation acquired Murphy"s Oil Soap. A lady that worked for me was put in charge of Murphy's and did a great job. I can assure you it will clean gun stocks safely and well.

Hank Cross

6. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

looks like I am going to have to pick up some Murphy's Oil Soap

7. primer

primer TS Member

Where can you buy this soap?

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Any large market.

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Pat, I wholeheartedly agree ... bacteria interacting with dead skin cells and misc. crud is what yukks up the checkering ... introducing 'kids mouth' bugs has got to complicate matters.

After you clean the stock, stick out in the sun for a while ... dilute with water is still water and you want the water to go away. That's part of the reason I like Ballistoil - it sucks & wicks water away.

Paste wax ... {sigh} ... I wish I was competent enough to get a couple of 'barely' coats on w/o waxing the checkering. Color me envious.

Bullfrog, it's in the Floor Care/Cleaning Products section, at any market.

MOS

Ballistol

Kramer's

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

www.Clenzoil.com

They will (used to) send you a free sample to try it and then you will become another satisfied customer ... It cleans the crud out of barrels like you won't believe, and makes the wood like new, besides cleans and conditions leather also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

A second vote for Clenzoil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.