1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to clean a wild turkey?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

A while back, a poster here described an easy way to clean a pheasant by standing on its wings and pulling the legs up until (snap, crackle and pop) the breast meat is exposed and easily separated from the remaining torso. Can a wild turkey be dressed in like manner? Many thanks.

LA

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Porcupine, not unless your a steel worker, body builder, pro ball player, etc.

What I do is simply use a pair of shears and cut wing at joint, split skin up through the chest, make a incission around the neck and legs and peel the it to the back area. All meat would be exposed and easily to fillet.

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Skin it and be done oor let your wife do it

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

5. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

skin the breast out.

Chuck the rest.

DOn't gut it. You never know what you will find. Buddy tried gutting one and ofund about 50,000 round worms living inside.

needless to say, it never made it home even though it was not a big deal.

6. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

pheasantmaster has done that before. GOOD LUCK

7. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

The best way........Begin picking as soon as possible. Hang the turkey by its legs and begin picking, just like a duck. Take your time avoid tearing the skin. Cut off wings and legs at joints. Gut it last. Wash, and place on ice to cool quickly. Season, put in cooking bag and enjoy. To do it right take your time and pick it. Enjoy the great eating.

8. zap

zap TS Member

JUST UNDUE THE LABLE AND PULL THE CORK WHATS THE BIG DEAL

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

i tried to pluck one needed the bottled one skinned it hung in fridge for 5 days by the feet cooked breast down in seasoned water NO salt best you will get starts next week in WV rick

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

The best way is to lick the shot glass. JMHO

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

11. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Lay him on his back, pull apart the the breast feathers/skin & fillet it right off the bone. Done in 3 minutes.

12. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I've been fortunate enough to harvest several gobblers over the past 20 years, or so. I also think I have tried just about every method of cleaning them.

A portion of what dictates the method used, is exactly how much of the bird you wish to retain for comsumption. To me -- it is a waste to use only the breast of any wild bird that you kill, but I will not debate that issue here.

I've tried plucking the feathers, both after scalding in hot water, and "dry" - right after killing, while the bird is still warm. Plucking remains my least favorite method of cleaning, but I do prefer dry-plucking to the former.

I "progressed" to skinning the bird, and did that for many years. It is relatively easy to do, (again) moreso when the carcass is still warm.

Still -- I wanted a better way to transport my kills, as I do most of my hunting out-of-state. The entire carcass of a mature gobbler can take up quite a bit of cooler space, and is a rather difficult shape to try to condense. This dilemma lead me to develop a technique that I like to refer to as a rough "butchering" of a turkey.

After skinning it out, I filet both breast halves - in 2 large pieces. Cut very close to the breast bone, and you can remove each half with no waste. There will also be two discernable "pockets" of meat on the back of the skeleton. Make sure to cut them out, as they are nearly as white as breast meat.

After cutting the feet off at the joint, I remove the entire leg and thigh. This can be accomplished by following the "hip" socket and cutting the proper conmnecting tendons. You will be able to see the "ball" of the joint. Do the same, to seperate the drumsticks of the legs from the thighs.

You now have very manageable pieces of your trophy, which can be bagged and iced with very little trouble. It will take considerably less room in your cooler than a whole bird. The only drawback to this procedure is the loss of the carcass (skeleton), which could be used to serve as an excellent soup stock.

13. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

What do you do with the tail fans? I have a full box of them dried & pinned out, but what now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can a wild turkey be dressed by standing on the wings and pulling the body apart