1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to carry gun on my new ride

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Just got it. This just might cause me to part with the Harley. (Not fishing) Whats the best way to carry a cased (Americase) trap gun to the range without causing damage to bike or gun? I know there was a recent thread about this topic but would like to hear from other wing owners regarding the Goldwing specifically. Thanks, Marc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The only intelligent way I know of to haul fright with a motorcycle...<center>
    [​IMG]
    ...unless you live where this guy lives...

3. Unknown1

For my money, there is only 1 intelligent way to haul freight with a motorcycle... <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>... but there's more than 1 dumb way...<center>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Keller

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Since motorcycles can pull trailers, is there a small 1-1/4" receiver hitch available? If so, you could use an upright post similar to a bike carrier and rig it to hold a hard shell gun case vertically, clearing the two luggage boots you have there. Consider angling it to match the boots.

5. yzfart

yzfart TS Member

Marc,

I would think that it would work best to set the case across the passenger seat with the handle up (resting on the hinge). I would definitely go to somewhere solid for your tiedown points - probably the passenger grab handles beside the seat. See if you can hook into the framework for the rear tailbox for the initial anchor points.

This will only work if you can tie it down securely - if not, then you risk: 1. Dropping your shotgun; 2. Scratching/ruining motorcycle parts; 3. Causing an accident.

Make sure it is secured so that even if in an evasive maneuver, it will not move out of place.

This is my $.02 that I base on my over 20 years of road riding.

Ben

6. porky

porky TS Member

I second what yzfart said

7. releasebob

releasebob Member

Sidecar with a gunbearer,blonde for a perazzi brunette for all others ;o) BOB

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Cut a hole in your windshield and make a bracket that will fit over your gas tank and have the barrel go through the hole and stock in the bracket. You can keep an eye of the gun and have some fun to. LOL

9. luvtrapguns

I like releasebob's suggestion best so far. Marc

10. luvtrapguns

I like releasebob's suggestion best so far. Marc

11. luvtrapguns

I like releasebob's way of thinking best so far. But the sidecar thing kind of takes away a cutie snuggling up to your backside. Marc

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Better wait a while before selling the Harley.. I had a dozen or so of the wings and I still prefer my harley

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I use my hard case and strap it to the luggage rack on my tour pack. 2 straps cris crossing the case through the handle to opposite corners of the rack.

You just have to install a luggage rack on the tour pack....but they look better on a Harley:)

14. luvtrapguns

My Harley is an old Sportster (86). Two completely different bikes.

I was a HD Dealer in another lifetime (60's-70's). I had a very large Dealership in the Metro Detroit area. Much like the upscale boutique type Dealerships you see today, only 20 years ahead of its time. Back then HD's were really not of the quality I hear expressed about today's Harleys. Sure was a "cult" following, then as today. At the same time I also had a Yamaha Franchise. The only time a Yamaha came in for repairs was if someone crashed. Sure would have been nice if that could have been said about HD.

Anyway, I picked this bike up for a good price. Going to give it a try. I think I will be pleasantly surprised. But then, who knows, I may end up selling both.

I certainly did not intend for this to be a bashing HD or Honda thread. As always, pay your money and take your choice. Marc

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Theres no way I'd ever consider a bike and gun together...dont worry about damaging the bike or gun...cuz if you need to stop for gas and need to leave the bike...the gun has a 8/10 chance it wont be there when you get back

16. ctreay

ctreay Member

Not a biker but I like Brians idea. In the early 50's I did have an Indian with a sidecar and that would be cool now!

ctreay

17. 682LINY

682LINY Member

back in another life,, 38 snubie on ankle,, 9mm compact breast pocket of leather and sawed of 12 in leather sadle bag,, muzzle down to the back, pistole grip to the front,,,did not shoot trap back then,, hard core chopper,,colors flying

18. stingray44130

stingray44130 Member

Buy a Bolt some case protects gun better will fit on back seat

19. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

From a wing owner,,,,,BEST way is in a Bushtec (or other brand) trailer. If you need some other options, PM me. If going to a short distance shoot i.e. < 200 miles,,,,use hard case and put on passenger footboards and tie into grab handles. You could also secure it in a SKB case with a bike like to the grab handles as well. Shells in the passenger seat. Be careful putting shells in trunk or saddlebag as weight is an issue. Ride safe....

20. Unknown1

You don't need no stinkin' trailer... <center>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    </center>

Keller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.