1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to add weight to a stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sbrown, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbrown

sbrown Member

I have a new stock, and need to add some weight. Any suggested methods?

2. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Take the pad off,You should have a hole in the stock,I put a small piece of 1/2" copper tube filled with lead shot and cotten into it.PJ

3. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I've done something similar. Poke a wadded up paper towel in, pour in as much shot as you like, and trim a dowel to wedge into the hole. Make the plug long enough so there is no rattling around. Use more paper towels if it's too heavy. Mine was about 1/2" long, tapered slightly. It worked.

Shoot it for a while and see how you like it. If you don't, or want to sell the gun later, just take it out.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

sbrown- I would suggest adding several ounces of gold in the stock bolt hole.

Pat Ireland

5. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

If the gun is a Silver Seitz Pat's idea is right on. Anything else would not be in keeping with the image of this gun. No disrespect for SS, just jealous because I can not afford one. Marc

6. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I loaded a shell with just shot and crimped it trim off the shell base and installed it in the stock bolt hole and used packing foam to that up any space. If it is a tight fit tape dental floss behind the shell and around the shell body leaving several inches on the top so you can just pull the shell out of the hole when you need to remove the stock.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I use to make a lead rod the correct diameter to fill the hole.. and cut 2 grooves in it.. for a O ring.. screwed a screw eye on the end to fish it out..and made a rubber plug to keep it tight.. That is for the buttstock.. The forend I used a router to cut some pockets..then filled the void with lead shot and epoxy.. You could easily make a 12 to 14 pound gun if you so wished..

8. vdt

vdt Active Member

copper shot then your glue gun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best way to weight a trap stock

silver seitz rubber forend grommets