1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best wax to use on stocks?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Best wax to use on stocks? Does anyone use wax on the barrels? Thanks

2. cabman

cabman TS Member

I use Renaissace Micro-crystalline wax polish. It's used by the British Museum for fine leather, furniture,metal, paintings and ivory. They use it on the restoration/maintaince of armor. It's made in Britian and available in the internet. Virtually eliminates fingerprints on y our barrel. It expensive but a small jar will last for years. Great stuff.

Good luck

Cabman

3. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Great tip, thanks. found Rockler woodworking supply has it..

" It is widely recognised that this substance is more protective and longer lasting than oil, especially for swords and helmets that are frequently touched by human hands"

again thanks...Grubby

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

...but it will soften and migrate when heat is applied to it (gun barrel). It's intended to be used at room temperature.

MK

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I use Liquid Glass auto polish on about everything. I also use that on my primer trays and it lasts a very long time! Lasts a heck of a long time on your vehicles paint job too!! Custom auto detailer's use it too. Easy on, easy off, and does it ever last/protect!!

Hap

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If the wood is an oil finish I use Bee's wax to protect it and keep it looking like new ... I wipe the barrels with Clenzoil to protect them, which I use on the wood also to clean it ... It does not seem to break down the Bee's wax and cleans the entire gun ... If the stock is high gloss any good car polish will work, Liquid glass or any Carnuba wax will do the job and keep it looking new ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

I use a formula that I purchased for $1000 in 1980 that my Dad used on his Model 12 Trap gun that he bought new in 1950, he died in 1978. It kept his gun like new all those years. It's for the receiver, barrel and wood. Sorry I can not disclose whats in it. I gave the old guy that told me what it was my word that I wouldn't. Too bad things didn't go right for me I would be selling bottles of it at the Grand!! In all the years I've had it I only made 2 gallons. One leaked out of a gal plastic milk jug and I recently made up a batch and used a gallon glass wine bottle. I just recently started shooting again after 20 years since my wife passed away last year tomorrow and her mother 2 weeks ago. I purchased the formula for sentimental reasons and because it works great!! I appreciate the tips given especially the one from the British Museum.

Harry

8. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lemon Pledge for the wood only. Cleans & smells nice too.

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I am sure there are lots of good products out there. I get the Martin Guitar wax from the music store. After several applications, it gets a nice finish. Skin contact seems to make it even smoother. It never seems to build up to the point that it gets stick like some furniture polish does. Oh, and it keeps my guitars looking great also.

10. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Beachwood casey stock wax works for me..

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Ditto on what Grunt said...

12. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I used some Turtle wax for cars on the stock of a couple of guns. It made them shine but it also caused the stock to stick to my cheek. Not a very pleasant feeling when the gun recoils and rips the skin off of your face.

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Tree wax, or any type of paste floor wax. Works on any finish. Easy, beautiful finish, and one can will last a lifetime.

14. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I'll go along with spitter & grunt on the Birchwood Casey; although I think it depends upon your application. For beauty, Renaissace is hard to beat, also Collinite Carnuba car wax is a great product. The thing is, you don't want something on your trap stock that's gonna "grab" your skin, especially if you're sweating. For that reason, I like Birchwood Casey, which, by the way is easy to use & it's packaged for convenient use. I just punch a pinhole in the foil top & shake it out.

best...mike

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Wax on a modern gunstock finish is like wax on a diamond.

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Liquid glass. The more you sweat the less friction, or sticking there is.
    [​IMG]

17. wineguy

wineguy TS Member

If you have a polyurethene high gloss finish, wouldn't you use a simple wipe down with something like Pledge?

18. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I use Pledge on my poly high gloss finish stocks. Just spray and wipe them down.

19. cabman

cabman TS Member

Pledge has silicone and will impregnate the wood. If you ever need to refinish the stock the ail one will puddle or spiderweb the new finish.

Cabman

20. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

cabman, In that situation one could probably add fisheye remover to the liquid finish before applying, that is how auto body shops solve the problem when repainting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what wax to use on stock