1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best walk behind lawn mower

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DIXIE SPECIAL 25, Aug 9, 2013.

1. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

Looking at some walk behind lawn mowers... the commercial grade Honda look nice but pricey.. Comments please.

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Spread the cost of the Honda over 15 to 20 years and it is a good choice. Ron

3. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

Buy the Honda....
    I got mine 16 years ago and other than a broken $12 cable,a worn out grass bag, and 2 spark plugs,it starts everytime and still looks new! I keep it in my garage next to my equally trouble-free 2001 Accord. Neither one ever had a tuneup or ever let me down. Can't say enough good things about them and BOTH made here in the USA....Paul in Virginia

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Honda

I have one of the rear drive self propelled and it starts 1st or 2nd pull every time. It has a dual blade that double cuts the clippings which does a great job mulching. I would buy another one in a heartbeat but so far the one I have has given me no reason to replace it.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

It has to be the kind that the Mexican pushes around my lawn every week.

I gave up mowing, edging and clean up ... years ago!

Besides ... with all the hulls and reloading stuff ... there is no room in my garage for a mower and edger!

Catpower thanked this.
  6. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Sears Craftsman...11 years old, and still starts on the first pull every time..

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I bought a new Kolhler engined Toro Self Propelled last year after my 2nd heart attack. I am pretty happy with the quality. My Father inlaw is still using a Craftsman mower he bought when my son was born, and that boy is now 33. Nothing wrong with American made stuff. As long as you buy the better models I believe you will be fine.

8. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

Mexican cadillac - a walk behind bob cat with 48 inch deck and a kawasaki motor. This is what most professional lawn care people use. jack

9. sfisk

sfisk TS Member

I had good luck with a Snapper, lasted 15 years cutting 3/4 of an acre. Made in the USA too. When I was a kid in the 70's working for a landscaper, they all used 2 stroke Lawnboy's. Engines needed rebuilding periodically, but those 2 strokes would never bog down!

10. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Honda with a zytel deck. It is an absolutely indestructible plastic, and will last forever. I have hit rocks that I thought had broken the blade, and there wasn't a mark where the rock hit the deck. I'm at about 10 years with it, and it still runs like new, and starts second pull every time.

11. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

A Lawn Boy 2-stroke is the only walk-behind I've owned and used for the last 20 years. It's on its second deck after the original rusted through. It took all of 15 minutes to move my motor and wheels over to the used, junker deck that I picked up for $5.00 at a yard sale. The motor has enough torque to cut grass that's 6" high after rains have forced delay in cutting. No need to winterize the motor, as the gas-oil mix does not deteriorate over several months storage. Prime, pull the cord twice, and start mowing. -Ed

12. ABH

ABH Member

Honda. Case closed.

13. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Honda. Walk behind self propelled is the best walk behind mower I have used in 50+ years.

14. johnboy

johnboy Member

Any push mower with a Honda motor or for that matter anything with a Honda motor.

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Mine is by far the best....

I have no idea as to it's origin but the landscaper's workers seem to like it!

Cutting one's own lawn is as much fun as shooting a bad score!

Curt

16. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

+8 for Honda. Sometimes things are more expensive because they are worth it.

17. JD54661

JD54661 TS Member

Lawnboy self propelled bagger with a Honda engine.

18. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

So far reliability is the only issue that's been addressed here. This is the first summer since I was 8 or 9 that I haven't had to mow at all due to the fact that I now live in the great north woods in MI. That aside, the most ease of use in a mower are the personal-pace type mowers. I think my last one was a Toro [maybe Snapper, it was red]. Anyway it would stop when I stopped, go faster when I walked faster. Very easy on the old legs and feet, no pulling it around. just my two cents. Bill

19. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I've had Lawn boy and Sear's craftsman. I will take the Sear's hand's down.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The last one I had was a Honda, I hired a landscaper and gave it to him ... I see him on occasion and he is still using it but now it looks well used nothing like when I had it ... It has to be almost 30 years old, Jesse said all he ever does to it is add gas and oil ... WPT ... (YAC) ...