1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best WAD/POWDER to tighten 7/8 pattern

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Fraz, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

Need a little help looking for best wad/Powder combo to tighten my 7/8 pattern - @ 16 yd - full choke - lengthened forcing cone etc. Tried lightining wad/Figure 8 - Promo & Am Select- Any tried and tested ideas.
    Thanks Fraz

2. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

Hey guys no Noble wads around here - next better idea. Fraz

3. 90T3200

90T3200 TS Member

In my load I use less than the published Hodgdon recipe calls for because I want a slow load to mimick 1 1/8 LT velocity. In the winter I go up a powder bushing just in case - this is below 8000psi but the preformance is fine.

Remington STS/Gun Club Hull
    17 gr Clays
    Winchester W209 Primer
    Winchester WAA12L "Gray" 7/8 Wad
    Either 8 or 8 1/2 shot

My favorite 7/8oz load. Smokes the birds if I do my part.

4. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Fraz, the load noted by 90T3200 is an excellent start but for a lighter and effective load try Rem STS, 16.0 gr. of Clays (MEC #30 bushing), Win 209, and Green Duster or Claybuster WSL (pink) wad with 8s or 7 1/2s. Easily run 25s at the 16 yd. line with smokeballs. Best Regards, Ed

5. woodski

woodski Member

My fav is 17.7 grains Rex 1 powder,Claybuster CB4100 7/8wad, with STS-Gunclub hulls. Its 1250 fps and 7620 psi. Smokes them from 16 to 21 yards if I do my part. Good luck and break em all!!!

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Why not just screw in a tighter choke tube?

KISS

Believe it, or not.

7. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Tightest shooting 7/8 I know of uses 20 grains of PB, and the TGT wad in an old AA.

8. washandwear

washandwear Member

I like the two recipes below:

AA hull, Fed209A primer, 16.5grs Red Dot, Pink Winchester 1oz wad,
    7/8oz hard 8s.

Another one is Fed Gold Medal hull with 1S0 wad the
    rest is the same as above.

AA good crimp but Fed little concave.

Regards

9. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

There are a bunch of Gualandi and Baschieri & Pellagri wads you can try; they're available through Ballistic Products (http://www.ballisticproducts.com/) and Precision Reloading (http://www.precisionreloading.com/). BP has probably all of the data you might need, although their prices tend to be a tad higher. I'm partial to the B&P T2 over either 700-X or Clays; you might find a different combination more to your gun's liking. But look over both place's selection of wads and data and experiment.

Tony

10. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I usually use a modified choke with 1 1/8 oz from the 16. When I shoot 7/8 oz I just tighten my choke to an IM. YOu get the same smokeballs with 7/8 of hard #8.5 or #9 as you do with 1 1/8 of 7.5's!!! I would suggest keeping the 7/8 load at around 1225 for consistent performance.

Forrest

11. furface

furface Member

I use CB4100 wad, 7/8 shot, 16.5-17 grns Red Dot, same with 19 to 20 grns Green Dot in a StS that really smokes them. But it is a little loud. Good luck, Joe

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Chokes have the most affect on patterns. Shot quality is a distant second. Wads, powder, primers have trivial affect. Why pittle with the trivial?

Believe it or not.

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

.040 choke

14. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Lower pressure = tighter patterns.
    Lower velocity = tighter patterns.

The opposite is also true, and using these rules of thumb was how patterns were adjusted before the days of interchangeable chokes.

(Green Dot is a slower powder than Red Dot, and that generally means lower pressure. That's why Green Dot is commonly accepted as having tighter patterns.)

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I think the single best 7/8oz wad ever is the Gualandi Rex24, but it only works in straight walled hulls (that does not include Gold Medal hulls). The Gualandi Spark is also terrific, but you'll need a very bulky powder unless you can use high basewad straight walled hulls.

The Federal 12S0 works well in Gold Medal and, believe it or not, STS hulls.

16. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Downrange Mfg XXL-orange wad
    Estate / Federal / any straight wall hull
    18 grains Alliant Promo
    FIO 616 / Nobel Sport 209 primer
    7/8 oz hard shot

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob_K wrote above "Lower pressure = tighter patterns. Lower velocity = tighter patterns." This seems to be intuitive logical but does not stand up when tested on paper.

Greed Dot is known to tighten patterns over other powders when loaded equivalently but the difference is not very great. Green Dot is not the best selection for a 7/8 oz load.

Fraz- The answer to your question is in the choke, not the shell.

Pat Ireland

18. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Pat...

My source for the pressure and velocity guide is Bob Brister's bood, "Shotgunning: The Art and the Science." Not many folks have shot as many patterns as he did. Do you have a better reference?

19. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Since the UIT, now ISSF switched us to 24 gram loads I have shot and evaluated a couple thousand patterns to find the tightest combination. There are several. First, I suggest a calibration load: use the 1300 '/s factory Winchester AA (Grafs seems to have stock). I have found no other factory shell that can be relied upon lot-to-lot to equal the AA. Most were a joke. If you can get a pattern percentage equal to that you have something (consistent 85% at 35 yards with a 42 point choke). If you're running the velocity down to 1200 '/s you should be able to beat it.

The closest handload I found to the AA was a Remington Gun Club hull with the Remington primer (any hotter and the pattern opens, weakening the 10" core), Hodgdon TiteWad, Winchester GRAY wad and West Coast shot that I had micrometer-measured and selected for superior grading. Using Motor Mica increased the % by 2%, achieving a match+.

I found that there was no ryme or reason for a high percentage load. Only a careful 15 - 20 pattern test would determine what worked.

I also had comparable results with SOLO 1000 in Cheddite hulls. The REX wad mentioned above patterned 3% more open than the B&P T2 (078Lightning), but the pattern was more uniform. It also had lower felt recoil after careful velocity matching.

If you're only shooting 16 yard or skeet targets, it really doesn't matter what you use as you can adjust the choke to deliver the results you want. It's possible to achieve 90+ percentages at 30 yards. At 40+ yards, even with the best possible cartridges and tighest chokes, the pellet count is so wimpy that luck plays a large role in breaking targets with the 24 gram load.

- - Bill

20. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Believe it or not, the tightening effect that Green Dot powder has on patterns is not trivial. Skip Carver

It's trivial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
700x winchester gray wad
baschieri & pellagri wads
baschieri & pellagri wads 700x powder 4 grams
comparable wad to tc20

gualandi 1225 wad interchangeability

gualandi spark wad and red dot
reloading information for baschieri & pellagri wads and powder
tightening choke