1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Wad for PB w/ STS/old style AA's?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blackfoot, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Best Wad for PB w/ STS/old style AA

Since switching over to PB powder in Old AA's: I am having problems using the CB1100 and CB1118 wads I've been using for years and getting a good crimp.

Are there any wads that you have used w/ PB & AA Hulls that you like?( I use a 9000G Automate and RCBS Grand)

Appreciate your help!

2. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I've been using a Dillon with PB(20gr), Single pc old AA hulls, Winchester AA wads(WAA12), 1 1/8 shot with no problems. I did test the CB118 wads and the DR XL 1 1/8 (the blue ones) with no problems. Dave T.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

AA's..

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Downrange Vestalite.. flawless

5. fishguts

fishguts Member

old style AA's with 25.0grs. PB use the Remington R12H....

Wayne

6. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Appreciate your recipes- I will try and find a good one.Because I have used only Claybuster wads for the last 15 years I don't know alot about the different choices.

I've often wondered about which wad gives the "softest" loads w/ PB and Tapered hulls(AA/STS).

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Used the Pacific and Hornady Versalites many years ago in the CF AA hulls with PB. Pretty much the same as the Downrange version I use today with other components. I don't remember having any crimp issues.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Just loaded 400 old style AA's with 20.5 grs. PB and Winchester AA wads. No problems!!

9. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

WINDJAMMER! The best wad ever made!

Matt

10. fishguts

fishguts Member

Matt, I will now switch to all WINGJAMMER wads...

Wayne

11. fishguts

fishguts Member

OOPS!!! Guess I can't spall either.

Wayne

12. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Back in the day....In the 1970s & 1980s, PB was my powder of choice and I loaded the Win. AA hulls with 22 grains of PB, Remington RXP wad, 1 1/8 oz. shot, and either the Winchester 209 or the Federal 209 primer. This load came right out of the DuPont powder manual. According to the DuPont book, when I used the Win. 209 my load traveled 1150 fps and with the Fed. 209 the speed was 1205 fps. I shot the 1150 loads at singles and first shot of doubles and the 1205 loads at hcp. and 2nd doubles. I loaded 7 1/2 shot for everything. Life was simple then, I could tell the difference just by looking at the primers. Then Federal had problems with their 209s and eventually switched to 209A, DuPont sold to IMR, nothing was the same any longer, and everything went to Hell. The RXP still does a good job as a wad. The Windjammer does also. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

13. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Thanks! I'm going give the Windjammer and RXP wads a try.

I know I'm NOT going to use Downrange because their dimensions are not the same as orginals they are replacing- which requires reloader adjustments if you use them!

14. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

I've been wanting to try some PB with remmy sts hulls & versalite wads. Anybody have a good forumla ? I have win, federal, & fio primers.

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Blackfoot. I load the STS using a white downrange fig 8, and 21.5 gr of PB and it all fills the hull perfectly.But the key is I use the 5.5 shot bushing in th ePW. That drops 1-1/16th. I like the 5.5 as it gives off about 10% less recoil.

16. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

The load I'll take to by death bed....

22.5 grains PB
    STS/Nitro 27 or Old Style AA
    Windjammer 1 1/8 wad
    1 1/8 shot
    Federal 209A Primer

"Mind if I smoke..."

Now the truth. PB has gotten so expensive that I now shoot Promo but I did come across a deal on PB a few months back and I am shooting my "Death Bed" load.

Matt Ski

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Hatshooter

Go to Hodgdon's site and look up the components you wish to use. I'd personally prefer the Winchester or Federal primers if the data supports it. I haven't had great results with Fiocchi primers in many loads. They seem to have trouble in colder weather. They seem to have a new one listed, since the ones I've had were the Fiocchi 615 and 616. They list a number 617 now. The data does not currently list the Versalite wad, but you could use data for the wad that develops the highest pressures for a given load. I seem to remember using about 21.0 to 21.5 grains with the Versalite and the Winchester primers. When in doubt, call, write, or email Hodgdon. 913-362-9455

18. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

Thacks Quack Shot for the imfo. I've been loading some FGM for my back fence loads with Unique.. thought I may play around with PB a little.

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Hatshooter

For the Gold Medals, you might try the Federal 12S3 wad as well. I think it's a better fit in the straight tubes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best wads for sts hulls