1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Value "Nice" Range/Shell Bag???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I am tired of carrying around boxes of ammo like an amateur so I wanted to get a range bag. I figure this is going to last me a long time, so I want a nice looking bag, not a $10 canvas cheapie. I've found a couple leather ones from Galco and Mulholland Bros, but they are bit pricey so I narrowed it down to the Galco Sporting Clays Bag (see link). It's both leather and canvas, has room for 4 boxes and some small accessories and the price is very reasonable at approx $156.

So my question is whether this is the best bag for the money or does anyone else make a better bag in this price range?

Thanks

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Best Value

I bought this one for my gf four years ago and she really likes it.

It has a lot of room - bigger than my Shamrock bag.

Don Verna

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Best Value

Better deals can be had looking outside the shooting sports. There are camera bags and others that look good, last long, and fit the purpose very well of a lot less money.

Go to one of the bigger guns shows and see vendors galore for this product.

HM

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Best Value

Don, nice all leather for the same price, but how is the quality of the bag? Is it well made? Has it stood up to use well?

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Best Value

vpr80----I know Don made referance to the bag he recommended being better than a Shamrock and it may be cause i've never used the one he has but i do have a Shamrock. I have a larger 8 box bag that are $200.00 but they have a nice 4 box bag w/pocket for about $120 to $150 depending on which one you get and they are quality leather. Mine has lasted quite a long time. Not saying they are better just saying they are quality------shamrockleathers.com They are a family owned buisness and a pleasure to deal with. They will also personalize their products for you and usally at no charge.

Matt

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Best Value

vpr80,

It is a softer leather than the Shamrock bag and therefore will not be as sturdy. It looks better and feels "richer".

I like the fact it does not have the brass "closures" for the flaps like the Shamrock bag. I had one of the closures break off (but Shamrock replaced it at no charge at one of the shoots). Also the brass closures get caught on stuff. The Pavilion "tabs" seem better to me but not as secure

On the Shamrock I wound up adding two side pouches. You will likely not need to augment the Pavilion as it is a bit bigger.

Halfmile gave good advice. If you don't need the "style" of a leather bag, there are a lot of good sturdy nylon bags at a third the price.

Don Verna

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Best Value

twostraight, PM sent

8. skeezix

skeezix Member

Best Value

I use a red oxx carry-on bag. They are very well constructed

http://www.redoxx.com/Airline-Carry-On-Luggage/100/100/dept

John

9. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

Best Value

vpr80,

Cabela's sells a bag they call their Deluxe Gear Bag. If you are fortunate enough to live near one of their retail outlets, they often go on sale for as little as $19.99. The normal price is $39.99. They come in Burgundy or Green and have so many pockets that you lose stuff in them. Can hold eight boxes of shells as well as the empty. Side pockets for glasses, extra shells, choke tubes, ATA cards, spare triggers, etc -you get the idea. I now carry so much gear in mine that I am not ever without a spare of something. It also has a shoulder strap and a handle that make it easy to carry when it is loaded with stuff.

It literally has more and deeper pockets than the staunchest republican on this website. Check out their website, item QZ-318420. I've seen it on sale at Cabela's in PA at least three or four times in the past year. It is not sold as a trapshooting bag but it will serve you wonderfully . Good Luck.

Play Dead

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Best Value

Many of my guys use the Boyt Sporting Clays Bag which runs about $100 retail and will hold 6-8 boxes plus a load of pockets in their signature ODG and a bit of leather trim. Another nice bag seen is the Beretta Field Bag, which is retailing at about $150.

Just a couple extra options if you don't want to spend $$$.

Jay

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Best Value

Shamrock, period. The one Grntitan suggested. All leather and your name embossed on the top of the flap, free. My first one is still being used and I bought it in 1975.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best made leather canvas sporting clays range bag

best shooters shell bag
leather shotgun shell bag with choke tube holder pocket