1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best value Binoculars

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by robervl, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robervl

robervl TS Member

What is the best middle to high quality binocular value? Are there any lesser known names that are a good value? Looking to buy and thought where better to ask.

2. trw

trw Member

Depends on what your intended purpose is for them. Brand wise, I have had very good luck with older Nikons and Steiners. For a neat small pair of hunting glasses w/great clarity, a pr. of Leica 8x30's are hard to beat, but they are pricey. Minnox also is a really clear glass for a fair price.

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Real Bausch & Lomb binoculars if you can find any. I've been using my 9x30's for 25 years...superb glass

4. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

It depends on how you're going to use them as almost anything will work if you just glance thru them now and then --- like at a ball game or concert. However if you are going to use them for long periods of time stay with the top-end glass. I prefer Swarovski but I've had the ones I use all the time for a long time.

Three other things to consider --- (1) are you going to be carrying them a lot? If so you want to get something that isn't so heavy you'll either leave them at home or in the car, (2) do you wear glasses? If you do make sure the eye-relief with the eye-shield down is OK for you, and (3) once you get above 8X unless you have some experience it may be hard for you to hold them steady.

Remember, good glass will last a life-time don't go cheap and hope to get lucky. My "go-to" glass is a ltwt pair of Swarovski 8x30's that are worth more than twice what I paid for them 15 years ago on the current used market

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I bought a pair of 7 X 35 Nikons maybe ten years ago or so, they've been good ones. One thing I always look for with binoculars is a long enuf' eye relief so I can use 'em with my glasses on without losing too much field of view.

John C. Saubak

6. mag410

mag410 Active Member

I have a pair of Alpen Apex 8x42 #493 they are very good binoculars. Great value for the money. I don't know if it is a fair comparison, but I can still see clearly well into the twilight after my Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 has given up the ghost.

Michael Goines

7. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Nikon comes with a pretty great warranty.

8. englishupland

englishupland Member

Nikon makes the glass for leupold I've been told

9. FIB

FIB Member

For glass on a budget Nikon Monarch's are very good. Also check out Vortex Optics. I recently bought a pair of 8x42 Diamondbacks for bow hunting (cost was around $ 200.00). Vortex carries the BEST warranty out there. I also like the fact they are based out of Wis. which is relatively near where I live. Vortex carries a lower grade all the way up to ED glass. If you want more info pm me. Regards, Randy Price

10. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I'll second Nikon as being about the best value for the money. I used to work at Gander Mountain a few evenings a week, and we were always comparing binoculars by trying to read signs all the way across the store. Nikon consistently came up the winner for sharpness and brightness at a given price point. ....Rick

11. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I have a pair of 7x42 Swarovski SLC, my son has a pair of 8x42 Pentax DCF WP. The Pentax cost less than half the Swarovski's and honestly neither he nor I nor our friends can see one bit of difference.

12. GBR

GBR Member

For many years I have used a popular brand of binocular. This past December I broke down and bought an excellent pair that beats my current pair by a mile. They are very clear and gather light extremely well. They are Zen-Ray binoculars. They aren't cheap and they produce a clear, crisp and distortion free image. Mine are 7 X 36. Google Zen-Ray for more information. Shipment is very fast. GBR

13. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I'll have to second the Nikon Monarchs...these cost a bit less than $300, and I can't tell the difference between the Monarch's and about any glass up to $600.

Cheap binoculars are worse than worthless. You will end up with eye strain and a headache, at the least.

One test of a good pair is when you look through a good pair, your eyes "feel good" while looking through them. When you look through junk, your eyes will feel better when you take them down.

The big box stores like Gander Mountain, Cabelas, and Bass Pro have pretty good selections and you can see what works for you. Their prices are reasonable as well.

bluedsteel

14. soup

soup Member

FOLKS ,

If you really want to know about binoculars check out the reviews of a "BIRDING " magazine . Bird watchers are highly critical of their optics . They want to see minute details . Many of their applications pertain to hunting as well ( weight -size- clarity- light conditions ).

You may be surprised at the reccomendations .

SOUP

15. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Vortex is an awesome company with great binos at all price points and their warranty is second to none. And i own Zeiss Fl and Swarovski El's as well. They are awesome binos for the money. PM me if you need some more info on them or prices.

16. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I have a 9x35 Bausch & Lomb Zephyr I bought about thirty years ago, and a Leupold 10x40 I bought about five years ago. I carry the Leupold now and use the B&L for backup. Why? Slightly better optics, waterproof, and easy to use with glasses.

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

In the sporting goods store I work in the Nikon binoculars are not only asked for most of all but will probably sell more by at least 5 to 1 in any other brand. Jackie B.

18. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

There is no such thing as "Best Value" binoculars. When buying glass for whatever use (hunting, astronomy, general use) you must buy the best, and the best means coatings, the most important aspect of quality glass...

This old saying cannot be stressed more when buying optics -- Buy cheap, buy twice...

I own five set of binoculars, and have owned them for decades. They have never failed and are used hard but with respect and maintained well. I would recommend any of these manufacturers for getting optics that will truly last a lifetime. Not in order of preference:

1) Leica 7x42
    2) Swarovski 8X30
    3) Steiner 12X56
    4) Zeiss 6X25
    5) Leica 10X42

My favorite is the 7X42 close focus Leica's because they have been with me since 1980 when I paid $485.00 for them. A friend at the time thought I was crazy and bought some Bushnell's for around $60.00. I still have those Leica's and I believe he's still buying cheap binoculars to replace the broken, fogged, etc junkers. Last count, he's over ten (10) pair. Let's see at $60/pair he's well past my initial Leica's and he still is looking through junk glass and poor coatings. Buy quality, buy once.....good luck

Jack