1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best type of shotgun and sights for doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rickm, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rickm

Rickm TS Member

I just started to shoot double trap and trying to decide which is best type of sight/gun combination. I had been shooting a Browning Ultra for singles and was pretty consistant missing the occational straight-away shot. Unfortunatly this is typically your first shot on doubles. I have not tried the Ultra for doubles yet mainly because this problem. I have been using a skeet gun with modified chokes and have a high precentage hit on the first bird, the second, is about 50%. Obviously practice and experience will overcome most of this but my question is whats better for doubles:

1) medium high rib, long barrel
    2) low rib, short barrel

Thanks

Rick

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You need a few things to be successful shooting doubles.

1. A gun that is set up for your style of shooting pairs.

2. Most people shoot a rising first bird and a flat second bird. So you need a gun with a first barrel that has a high POI and a second barrel that shoots flat.

3. If you shoot fast a skeet choke or IC works fine for the first bird and a modified or IM choke for the second bird is good.

4. Ammo, a light 1 oz load of 8s for the first bird and a heavy load of 7 1/2s for the second bird can give you an advantage.

Those are some of the things you should consider when getting set up for doubles.

3. Rickm

Rickm TS Member

One article the I read said that the top barrel typically shoots flat and the lower shoots high. I normally shoot the lower first, upper second which sounds like the right choice. I have been using modified on both but perhaps this isnt the best choice. I think one of my biggest challenges is that the first shot bounces/moves the butt of the gun a bit and its changing my second shot.

4. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Rickm, what kind of recoil reducer do you use?
    Don

5. Rickm

Rickm TS Member

The Browning has a Kick-Ez and the Trap gun which is a Weatherby Athena has the stock Weatherby pad. Its not firm like the Kick-Ez, this one is very soft with lots of chambers that you can see through. The shoulder side is ribbed.

Rick

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There are a couple of things you can do.

1. Add some weight to the gun, both front and rear.

2. Use a light load for the first shot.

These two things will reduce recoil and make the gun more stable. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.