1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Turkey Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capt jay, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capt jay

capt jay Member

Going Turkey Hunting next week, what's the best shot #4's/Mag/3in
    Thanks

2. Kalina

Kalina TS Member

I have had good luck with Remington 3in #5. Just make shure to pattern your gun. If you can get nine or ten hits in the spine or head at your max range any load should do the trick.

Luke Kalina

3. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Not made any more but the best ones I have used were Active, copper plated, N0 6 or 5 shot in a 3 in mag with 2 and 1/4 ounces of shot, yes 2 and 1/4 ounces.
    in a 3 in. mag. Have 2 cases left.

Trap-4

4. billn

billn Member

The last 4 turkeys I killed was with #5 heavy shot. With a back up of #5 lead shot if needed.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

My son has killed a truckload of big Ohio Gobblers with his B auto-5 20 ga.. I think he uses 1 ounce of 6s or 5s at times!!

Hap

6. Shane in WI

Shane in WI TS Member

I usually take my 10 ga. w/ 3 1/2" 4 or 5 shot.
    Have handloaded copper plated 4's w/ good sucess.
    Let a big tom walk this morning at 66 yards. Thought he was coming in, but he changed directions on me. Probably should have taken him, but that's a long shot. Last time I patterned it, I had 21 pellets in the head and neck at 50 yards. Always tomorrow.

7. HP TARGET

HP TARGET TS Member

410 3" of #6 does a good enough job for this bird. My 8 yr old took this one last weekend @30 yds.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Copper plated shot in and of itself is not a guarantee of a tight pattern. I found some copper shot had a soft lead pellet. Recovered pellets during testing showed they were being squished into partial cubes in a super full turkey choke. The killing pattern was only useful to 40 yards as best, while another load with unplated but harder shot was good to 50 yards.

The point here is... test the loads for yourself.

You need to get, consistently, at least three or four pellets into the brain or neck bones to ensure a kill. Anything less can result in a run off. Anything other than the skull or neck bones is only a flesh wound.

9. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

Turkeys are coming back here in Maine but you get some long shots sometimes. I will vote for Hevi Shot #5's also. The boy killed his 1st turkey with them in a 20 ga at 40 yards. That sold me, That's all I use now. Al Baker

10. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

copper plated # 5

11. oletymer

oletymer Member

Standard lead shot. All the rest just take your money. No problems taking turkey with a standard field gun and shot.

12. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Whatever else you do, use high velocity loads. Find the choke that works for your gun, and have at it.

I have found that #4 needs a more open choke - .675 at tightest - at least out my son's 11-87. #5 and #6 shot pattern great at .665, and #6's pattern well down to .655. These are patterns with PORTED CHOKES - which tend to require (my experience/opinion) larger diameters to pattern well. For some reason, at least in my guns, non-ported chokes need to be tighter to produce commensurate patterns - so that's .665 for large shot, and .655 for the smaller.

I shoot an SP-10 for turkeys and use high velocity Federal #5's (2 oz, 1300 fps). Again - my ported Hastings turkey choke at .695 produces outstanding patterns. I also have a .685 non-ported which does OK, but does not maintain the pattern beyond about 40 yards. With the Hasting's tube, I have complete confidence out to 60 yards, and have killed them like they were hit with a baseball bat at that range.

Find your magic combo. It requires some time, and maybe some expense if you can't return a choke tube that just doesn't work - but hopefully the above will help narrow the search.

Joe

13. Brian in Oregon

Buy your choke tubes from Cabelas. They'll take them back if they don't work as claimed.

14. Suncutter

Suncutter TS Member

Im useing Hevi-13 2 1/4oz of #7 it just flat out stomps birds to 50 yrds with my gun/choke combo.

15. lost & Dead

lost & Dead Member

30-06 with 180 gr works the best.

16. millerm12

millerm12 Member

Wow.you really need a three inch shell to kill a Turkey?I've always used a 2 3/4 shell.if a Turkey walks away from a 1 3/8 ounce of 4 or 5s going 1350fps someone just plain missed the shot.never figuered out why a 3 inch shell is necessary to kill a Turkey at 30 or 40 yards?????.seems like a total overkill.I think the ammunition companies promote that more than anything.sorry just getting that out there.good luck Turkey hunting.

17. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I bought a case of the old ACTIV turkey loads that Trap4 mentions about 16 years ago. They are zinc plated, not copper.

They are hell on the birds a l-o-n-g way out there. I still have about 6 boxes left and don't hunt turkeys anymore. Maybe I'll bring them to the next pigeon shoot! (ha!)

18. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Seven Mary three, just looked at mine which I haven't done for years and they are Nickle plated .

Trap-4

19. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

I use Remington Nitro Turkey #5 three inch shells.

20. Brian in Oregon

Yeah, you don't need 3" magnums for turkeys at 30 yards. But you sure as hell do for hung up Toms at 50 yards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.