1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Triggers for Rem 700's

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kcbullets, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Best Triggers for Rem 700

What are your experiences with replacement triggers? I know Jewell's are said to be the best. I want to replace also due to having old style safety. It will be for a Rem 700, ADL, 6mm, and used for hunting.

2. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

I used a Jewell on mine. Have one on a varmint rifle as well. Could not be happier.

Mark Zauhar

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have several Timneys and find them to be great. In addition to better functioning, they offer a wider trigger blade that makes the trigger feel even lighter and crisper.

Ed

4. Birch1007

Birch1007 Member

Try a Rifle Basix L-1, I have used them on my hunting BDLs for years. They are easy to install. If you order from their web site you can even specify the pull weight. The jewells are nice for target rifles, but for a hunting rifle the Rifle Basix is half the cost and just as good.

5. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Jewell are really nice. Timney are good. Stock triggers when done properly are at least as good as Timney

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If you can work a hammer and a drift, you can install a trigger on a 700 yourself.

7. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

The older Rem. 700s had a realy good factory trigger just get a gunsmith to lighten it up a bit --for a hunting rifle they will ajust down to about 2 lbs

8. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

There is really nothing wrong with the factory trigger on a 700. It is very adjustable and better than the most demanding shooter needs on a hunting gun. Target guns and long range varmint guns are another matter.

jim brown

9. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

Shilen used to make a great trigger for the 700. Not sure if it is still made.

10. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

I've got a Shilen in my 700 7mm mauser. I'm no expert but it is the finest trigger I've ever squeezed.

11. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Thanks for all the responses. I will admit that the factory trigger is actually pretty good. Probably the biggest reason I wanted to change is for the safety feature. You have to safety off to operate bolt and I thought about changing so you could operate bolt with the safety on. Can you modify the existing trigger/safety to achieve this? I wanted to do this before the gun was passed down to my son, just for added safety.

12. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

The modern trigger from Remington is very good as well as the above.
    The original trigger properly serviced.

Joe Woods/Ontario

13. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If you're just looking to update to the new style safety:

http://www.trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=310255&Messages=3

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The jewel and Timney are top shelf. Hoever a rifle basix is a lot less $$ and a darned good trigger that a dummy can install. I have done three and have been extremely happy

15. drgondog

drgondog Member

I think the basic M700 trigger for hunting is excellent. I have a Jewell on a match quality (it is-I'm not) .338-06 with Sako action. It is slightly better but the M700 triggers at 2 lbs is excellent and easy to get and maintain.

16. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Again thanks for the replies. I have hunted with this rifle mostly for the last 32 years and don't have a problem with the safety. My son does know the safety rules but for some reason I feel better knowing you don't have to safety off when operating the bolt. I had heard before you could file off a tab, but wasn't sure about it. I've also read the horror stories about them firing when operating the bolt. I may just try to file the tab like mentioned.

17. davstern

davstern TS Member

18. deankol

deankol Member

I have a left handed Jewell trigger. Call the factory

19. Byrrrdmann

Byrrrdmann Member

I'm going to show my age with this post. I have a trigger made by the late Paul Olewine from Harrisburg Pa. It will adjust from 2oz to 1lb. The gun is a "tight necked, .264" 6X47, 222 mag necked up to 6MM. It will shoot .200 one hole groups all day long with WW748. One problem with WW748 is powder residue buildup in the shoulder area of the case. This usually occurs after 7 or 8 firings. If you notice your groups opening up or unexplained fliers, full lenth resize and shake the flakes out. For those that full lenth resize all the time you probably won't experience this problem. Good shooting to all! Tony Generose

20. Byrrrdmann

Byrrrdmann Member

Has anyone tried H4895 with 55 grain bullets or H322 with lighter bullets, 50 or 52 grain? Does anyone use a Lyman 55 powder measurer with a Homer Culver insert to reload with? I have never used a powder scale to reload with, just the clicks on the culver. Kept an eye on the primer to check for pressure. Radius on the primer, pressure OK. No radius or flat against primer pocket, back off the powder or shorten overall lenth if bullet was touching the rifleing. Usually got best results when powder was just at the base of neck, never had much luck with compressed loads.
    Tony Generose

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.