1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best trigger for a Super X-1 ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ruck, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Actually, only two.....Stage 1 and Stage 3. Stage 1 was used until SN 50 something thousand and Stage 3 after that. Stage 1 has a grooved steel trigger and a sear engagement adjustment screw. Stage 3 has a smooth aluminum trigger and no sear screw. Neither one had a factory trigger stop, so someone must have added the one on yours. Some smiths prefer one and some the other. Both work.

Ken Rucker

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

IN MY EXPERIENCE, they are interchangeable. 95 % 0f the internal parts are the same. However, I have HEARD of triggers having to be fitted when swapped from one SX-1 to another. I've never had that issue in 25 or so guns I've dealt with.

Ken

3. chuckles

chuckles Member

The trigger groups, Stage 1 and Stage 3, as they are refered to, are totally interchangable to all Super X Model 1's...

As far as I am concerned there is absolutely no difference in the operational use of either but the SX1 followers seem to prefer the Stage 3, perhaps because Bob Baumgart favored the stage 3...

Some trigger assemblies fit tighter than others in the receiver but I have never had one not fit, out of fifty or so......

Trigger assemblies are generally non issues in SX1's, the main things are the Grade of wood and general overall condition along with all orginal components as from the factory, but that is subjective because there is no way to verify a particular SX1 is all original...

There are SX1's and then there are SX1's.....

regards

4. chuckles

chuckles Member

Stage 1 and Stage 3 comparisons...

Stage 1 is on the right...

5. chuckles

chuckles Member

6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

I had Stu Wright (http://www.wrightsgunsmiths.com) Rebuild and rework my SX1 Stage 1 trigger. The trigger is as crisp and smooth now as any semi-auto trigger, in any brand shotgun, I have ever used. I truly think that Stu and his son know the Winchester SX1 very well and how to massage the trigger to its fullest potential.

Stu: You are welcome and you already know where to send the check for the testimonial!

Mark

7. finger

finger TS Member

The stage three trigger group is a bit less likely to change its pull/creep/let off points than the stage one over time. Thats why Winchester made the change, to allow for more consistent trigger action for us high volume clays shooters (and I suspect it cost a bit less to produce as well).

I have never had a stage one change appreciably. I have never had a stage three change appreciably. Mine will interchange on all my SX-1 guns. I have no idea which came with which originally, nor if they were original to the gun when I bought it. Guns over 50k serial number MAY have come from the factory with a stage three trigger group. Maybe not since guns were put together out of parts bins. They stopped using stage 1 triggers when the bin became empty.

In the grand scheme of things whether you have a stage 1 or 3 trigger is about as important as whether you use 7 1/2 or 8 hard shot. bob finger

8. finger

finger TS Member

Charlie C: Rather than be concerned with the trigger for now lets make absolutely certain you have a fresh bolt buffer in that gun. If it by chance were to be the original the odds are it will disappear with the first few firings, and with that you risk severe damage to the receiver and/or bolt.

For the about $20 a new one will cost you and the five minutes to put it in it will be the best insurance you can have re the SX-1. Beside in putting in the buffer you will learn how to disassemble the gun, enjoy the quality workmanship and know you can shoot her without worry. Congrats on the SX-1, but you better go find a second one soon. They are not happy alone in the gun cabinet. And, if you are not familiar with disassembly let us know. Lots of here to help walk you through it. bob finger

9. finger

finger TS Member

Sportshot: I doubt you damaged the gun with a few shots fired after the buffer disintegrated...but it could happen.

With the buffer missing the bolt slams against the back of the receiver with some force. Metal against metal. I have seen SX-1's that were shot A LOT with no buffer. The back of the receiver gets banged up pretty badly. Hard to fix if at all especially if the hole the buffer fits in has been rounded over. A few shots most likely would not cause that much damage.

If your buffer disintegrated, clean the bits out of the gun and put in a new buffer and give it a try. SX-1's are very rugged and I'd be surprised if you have a problem. Then plan on putting in a new buffer every 25k or so rounds at the same time you change the recoil spring and the gun will shoot for several lifetimes. Sorry, I did not mean to ruin your day.

A new firing pin spring, or even a new pin, may be in order. They too should be changed once in a while. But you can pull the bolt apart (one pin holds it together) and clean the pin and spring and turn the spring around. Might solve your mis-fires for a while.
    bob finger

10. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Supersport - you may be thinking of Wright's Gunsmiths for the buffers. They also sell upgrade parts. A fella I know swears that they are the best and I have no argument.

www.wrightsgunsmiths.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.