1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Trap Sight

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The ones blacked out with a marker.

ss

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

There is no such thing as a sight on any non-combat shotgun. That said I like a small light pipe in red. Green grabs my eye too hard.

3. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I prefer my eye as the back sight. All kidding aside I don't like anything that is bright like the light pipe sights. I don't want it distracting me.

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

You're going to get a lot of criticism for using the word "sight". Shotgun shooters supposedly shoot off the end of the barrell whether there is a bead or not. But then having said that why do manufacturers make whit beads, and flourescent beads and light tubes? I don't aim except to make sure shouldering the gun correctly then place my vision on top of the trap house. Even though I'm not looking at the bead I can still see it in my minds eye. No doubt the experts will be here with replies of a different nature. An expert I am not. I only am saying what works for me. Dave

5. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

I like a white bead with a smaller half bead about half way down the rib just so I can make sure I have my mount right.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The ones blacked out with a marker.

ss

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

There is no such thing as a sight on any non-combat shotgun. That said I like a small light pipe in red. Green grabs my eye too hard.

8. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I prefer my eye as the back sight. All kidding aside I don't like anything that is bright like the light pipe sights. I don't want it distracting me.

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

You're going to get a lot of criticism for using the word "sight". Shotgun shooters supposedly shoot off the end of the barrell whether there is a bead or not. But then having said that why do manufacturers make whit beads, and flourescent beads and light tubes? I don't aim except to make sure shouldering the gun correctly then place my vision on top of the trap house. Even though I'm not looking at the bead I can still see it in my minds eye. No doubt the experts will be here with replies of a different nature. An expert I am not. I only am saying what works for me. Dave

10. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

I like a white bead with a smaller half bead about half way down the rib just so I can make sure I have my mount right.

11. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

The only reason I can think of for a manufacturer to make bright sights is their need to sell something. My vote is to stick with plain old white.

12. rdf59

rdf59 Member

"Sights" are merely gun mount devices. You detect the proper vertical alignment with your cheek. Remember, they are NOT "aiming devices". You never see them after you call "pull"

13. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Another point of view is that we shoot when the sight goes across the target. The shooter's eyes should always be on the target. Some contend it's a matter of consciousness in something that happens really fast. The shooter may be more or less aware of what is really happening and I suppose it really doesn't matter in experienced shooters. But it does matter when you're training someone. Try to train someone with the above statements when they're new and not hitting anything. It's very difficult to get a change unless you are able to tell them a couple of direct instructions like:

"Your eyes should always be on the target. Let's practice that." (Wave something around in a slow circular motion in front of the shooter and have them fake shoot it.)

"When your gun get's there, where you are looking, you shoot."

If you could take all queues away, awareness would increase by having lost all visual feedback. Take away the bead and the barrel and see if you can hit something. I don't think you could for very long. This happened to me when my holosight went dead during a shoot. I broke the next target, but that was it. I had 6 losses in a row as the round ended. The barrel was too low to use as a visual queue in a gun that looked like the one below. There was no bead because the batteries went dead.

[​IMG]

While I'm not promoting this for other shooters, I will say the best sight is the one that helps you keep your eye on the target and shoot it when the gun comes across where you are looking. If it's no bead, a white bead, an orange bead all lit up or an orange holograph, so be it.

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Proper gun fit......

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The late, great Frank Little always spoke of a "bird-bead relationship". Not possible if you can't see it!!

16. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

He always spoke about "the bead bird relationship" but never realy explained it. I think he was talking in the abstract, and suggesting that it might be a little different for each shooter.

17. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

ps my front sight is painted black !

18. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

No sights at all workers for me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best shotgun sight for trap shooting

best shotgun sights for trap

best sight for trap shooting