1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Trap Machines

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by larryjk, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryjk

larryjk Member

I haven't done any current research on trap machines for a few years. Which is the better trap machine and why? Beo-Mat ot Pat-Trap.

2. joshif

joshif TS Member

SuperStar.No cold weather headaches or wasting money heating the fluids of the trap even with the "new" synthetic oil they use in the Pats. Cheap clubs should think about how much it costs to keep a Pat warm in the winter. By Cheap I mean the ones that are too tight to give you a free target to try your buddy's "new load" etc,etc,etc. The heaters cost more to run that the cost of a target or two in a nights shooting activities.I'd like to see a winter shoot at Sparta. The wasted targets or heating bills for the traps would make the state go nuts,if someone was smart enough to do a P&L.

3. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

My pick would be the GMV Super Star for ease of maintenance and great target presentation. Todd

4. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

We have a GMV for sale, 3 years old 300,000 targets. $5000.00. If interested contact me at paintnfreek@hotmail.com. Jake Jacobs

5. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

PAT-TRAP AND ONLY PAT-TRAP

6. skip

skip Member

Wait till you see how many clay targets you lose due to cold weather start up with the Pat Trap Machine.

Yes I know all to well, let it warm up!

7. blooper

blooper TS Member

My Vote is for GMV

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

GMV Super Star! Absolutely the best trap available on the market today, and without question, throws the best doubles.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

What about Promatic?

10. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

The Autosporter is the Cadillac of trap machines.

11. BAP

BAP TS Member

I personally prefer thae Pat trap. We have a club with 6 and have never had a major problem with them and only a few minor ones. Unfortuatly opions vary. Some people even thought that Ohio State had a chance in the National Championship games when they were at best about as good as a mid of the pack SEC team. (note: I'm not a Gator fan ) Bill Parson Jr.

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Will the GMV throw a wobble target? Fred

13. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Fred, Yes with the wobble option added. Todd

14. southpark

southpark TS Member

If the presentation of the SuperStar is different from the Pat trap (delays, as described above, for example) I would then be more interested in a Pat trap because I would want to offer my shooters the same presentation they would get at the Grand American and afford them better practice.

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

fssberson, Yes they throw a fantastic wobble, easily adjusted for both distance and width of target spread. Simulated bunker trap is where the GMV really shines over any of the competition that's out there. Bob

16. traploader

traploader Member

<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://vid67.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/traploader/NEW%20TrapLoader%20DS100/af8acbd2.flv"></embed>

The GMV superstar is a great machine. However, for target presentation, especially on the doubles target, it is tough to beat the Winchester Western handset machine. Now we've made it safer to use. I'm sure everyone's had a story about that nearly missing the throwing arm while handsetting targets. Anyway, now you can update these machines to throw automatic doubles or singles with a simple bolt on TrapLoader DS100. If you want to practise, this is the machine to get. You can buy four of our units for the price of a PAT or GMV Superstar. Available from Western Retro Products or one of our dealers - Al @ Quality Replacement Parts or Bob Schultz at Target Shotguns.

17. southpark

southpark TS Member

Roger C, I would want them to have experience shooting the same targets they'll see at the Grand. I believe Sparta uses all Pat Traps.

Why would I want them to see a so-called "perfect" target only to have them be totally unprepared for the Grand, and a lot of other clubs and their inconsistent and poor targets?

If the ATA put the SuperStar in Sparta, then I would say great, let's throw the "better" target and get SuperStars too.

Shooting good targets, it seems to me, would be easier having had to deal with poor targets, rather than trying to shoot poor targets after being used to good targets.

Maybe you should have straightened out the ATA on this issue a couple years ago. I'm not, for a change, being a wise guy here. I don't have a dog in this race. I'm just saying that's the way it is at Sparta, and I for one would prefer shooting at targets that present the way they will at the Grand. Obviously others see it differently and may be right.

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

But is the target presentation of all Pat Traps "imperfect" in the same way? If not, the conditioning you're striving for will not happen.

Ed

19. southpark

southpark TS Member

Of course not Ed, an imperfection in the same way would be, after practice with it -- perfect.

Inherent in my observations is that if there is random delay in the Pat Trap presentation you learn to shoot imperfectly presented targets.

If SuperStars have a perfect presentation and you were conditioned to shoot targets like that I believe you would be at a disadvantage having to shoot imperfectly presented targets like you would find, if the posters above are correct about Pat Traps, at the Grand.

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Frankly, I've never noticed the delay people are pointing out EXCEPT when trap house roofs are raised to allow a Pat to fit or the machine is located deeper in the house than normal. Then it just takes longer for the target to appear but that's not a "trap problem." My club's first automatic trap was a Pat and the rest were GMV ATMs - service on them was 20 minutes away as opposed to four hours for a Pat. We had no issues with the Pat and frankly, most shooter couldn't tell that one house had a different machine in it. I really believe most "problems" with Pat Trap target presentation are due to the house the machine is in.

I think Pats exhibit that "slow pull" condition and GMVs don't because the carousel of a GMV is much wider than a Pat. They both hold about as many targets, but the GMV's carousel has more columns and can be lower, allowing it to fit in an unaltered trap house more easily than a Pat. Adding a course of block to the walls is the usual method of solving that concern and the slower-appearing target is a result.

What I have noticed with Pats is about a one-foot variation in target height even on calm days. Between that and the common condition of canted targets, which is correctable, I can usually tell a Pat from another brand of trap when I'm shooting.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ata trap machine

ata trap machines

best trap machines

trap machines
used ata trap machines

where can i find a pat trap dealer and the cost of the machine