1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best trap machine for the money?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by koder99, Sep 11, 2013.

1. koder99

koder99 TS Member

Sep 10, 2013
    My son is 15 and this will be his
    third year shooting on the school
    trap team at branson, mo. As his
    passion for this sport has grown
    we are thinking of buying a trap
    machine for home to be able to
    practice more.
    My reason for posting is to get info
    and opinions on what machine we
    should be looking at. I know i want to be
    able to duplicate what is regulation
    for trap competition and have a
    machine that will last for many years.
    (he also has two younger brothers)
    The machine that i have looked at
    so far is made by atlas. It is the ATA
    Any help will be much appreciated.
  2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2006
    S-E PA
    I think there are two answers to your question...

First, there is the QUALITY issue - here best are GMV and PAT (I am partial to GMV from a service point of view - way over-engineered and well built)

Then there is VALUE - for a trap club, throwing tens if not hundreds of thousands of birds per year a really good machine (see above) is mandated. For a home machine you need to ask how many birds will you actually throw??

Power is an issue as well - hard wired 110 is nice, but for a field behind the house 12v might make more sense - just need a car battery to shoot.

I would suggest you search through the posts here - there are many used machines (of all makes and qualities) offered for sale here. Even PAT and GMV as clubs move to one brand or another, on down to simple 12v machines you can pick up and carry (if empty of birds).
  3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    GMV Superstar is the best. HMB
  4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Do you plan to put in a regulation trap house and trap pad with your trap machine? Practicing field clays with an oscillating trap, IMO, isn't really productive to getting to the next level of trap proficiency, unless you are just starting out. Trap is a game of perfection, and grooving your game, by shooting thousands of targets at a regulation trap field, with voice activated releases. If you are going whole hog, then get a PAT trap, put it in a regulation house, and set up a regulation field, with Canterberry releases. Most estimates to do this that I have seen are in the $25,000 to $30,000 range. You might be better served just driving to the local range for practice. Mark
  5. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

Jan 7, 2009

I own a piece of property which I have set up a 10 station sporting clays course and a trap field on. I hold 2 invitational shoots each year as private events about (30-50 shooters). I own 4 Atlas AT50s and two AT250's with oscillators. I have shot competitive trap and sporting for over 35 years.

I have had ZERO problems with my Atlas traps. I would recommend them to anyone who wishes to do recreational shooting. They are simple and easy to work on......not that I ever had to (all of the parts are just right there). They are not a Pro-Matic, Beomatt, or any of the other industrial modles, but they throw a long fast target, are consistent and simple. The are direct drive and not chain driven like some of the other mid range competitors. I have one of the other popular models that happen to be chain driven......what a P.O.S.! I believe they even use the same motor as Promatic.

Out of thousands of targets thrown, I have had no problems and seriously only a few (less than a dozen) broken targets out of the Atlas traps. I simply can not recommend them enough. You could pay more for an industrial type, but from what it sounds like, you will be wasting your money considering what you are trying to achieve. Oh yah, I forgot......I think their warranty is 5 years. I don't know of any other manufacturers with a better warranty; that is what ultimately steered me into trying them.

6. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Regardless of which machine you get I would highly recommend a wireless voice activated release..........then you can practice alone with no need for an assistant.
  7. traploader

traploader Member

Jan 29, 1998
    If you want to throw regulation ATA trap you'll need an automatic doubles trap machine. A Western trap fitted with the TrapLoader DS100 automatic doubles conversion is the best trap machine for the money.
Search tags for this page
regulation trap machines

the best trap shooting machine