1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best trap load ever made

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapshootertoo, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

I remember shooting Federal papers shells back in the 70's & 80's. What a great trap shell! I could get high on the smell of a spent round. I shot 2 3/4 dram. loads, 3 dram. for back up. Have never understood why they changed the components but they're not the same now. Sure wish Federal would go back to them.

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Nope, Federal papers are NOT the same shell from the 70's. First mistake was when they changed the wad from an opaque plastic wad cup to the clear plastic and they never patterned the same. That waxy cardboard was replaced with some cheap coated thing. Then they tried some sort of two piece pushin-cushion that really stunk. At least they finally put a decent wad-12S3-in the last batch which is a bit better but still not the same.

Actually, the new ribbed plastic hull with 12S3 wads seems to shoot a bit better than the paper shells!!

3. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

I haven't shot the ribbed ones but I will. How are they priced compared to other trap shells?

4. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

The big difference is ATK bought them and change the components.

Dave

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I shot a bunch of Fed. Gold Medals- 1oz 8.5's that were a fabulous singles/first shot doubles load. But I think my fave was the old Win. Super Target papers....plus they made a great 1 time reload on my P-W 800...

6. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

Never loaded Win. papers but I remember putting Fed. papers in the oven for a little bit to get the wax warm before loading them with green dot. Made a pretty nice load but nothing like factory. Hard to believe that was 40 years ago!

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Like these!!
    [​IMG]

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Yessirree: Federal papers. They still exist, but are high priced.

There exists a tie between the Federal paper and the Winchester Super-Target paper. I loved shooting BOTH from the 27. Ljutic73 is dead-on!

I still have about 10-12 flats of the Fed papers left, but I shoot them up.

And, as the above thread says, they reload ONCE perfectly.

Whiz

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Federal Paper "Champion" 3 - 1 1/8 - 8 target loads, circa 1980. These shells had the Federal 12C1 two piece "air cushion" wad that IMO sealed well in any barrel and gave the shot a soft ride. Shot out of an 870 full choke barrel, especially an 870 Comp barrel, these shells gave true meaning to the term "smoke". They were the shells to use in "blue bird or blue chip" turkey matches and were deadly anywhere on concrete for ATA trap.

My understanding is that, to this day, the Federal Paper 2 3/4 - 1 1/8 - 9 is the preferred shell for serious still board competition.

My understanding is that Federal no longer makes this wad as the tooling for it finally wore out and ATK was not willing to spend the money to replace the tooling.

My understanding is that the Federal Pushin' Cushion was the original 12S3 wad that was introduced in the then new Federal ribbed plastic Gold Medal hull during the 1970's.

Ed Ward

10. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

Good old soldiers!!

11. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Nothing comes close to a paper Super Targets for an out the box trap load and nothing reloads and shoots as well Federal papers. If you're talking plastic, it's old school AA's, the rest are, well they just are...........

Surfer

12. broadwaybill

broadwaybill Member

How about going back a few years does Alcan ring a bell with anybody

Fifteen two and a pair is four

Bill

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I too loved the smell of the old feds but to me nothing has ever matched the quality of the old Actives. I loved the 3 dram loads for handicaps and the extra lites for singles. I heard they were going to go out of business so I went all over south Dakota buying them up. I have two boxes left. I think I bought 100 flats from gary at garys gunshop in Sioux Falls, in fact he brought them to a shoot in New Mex to me for no chgs shipping

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Call me a sadist but I loved fast loads for everything...Silver Bullets for everything most of the time...yes, even singles...ask anyone who has shot with me

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with that Calvin, me too

17. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

The federal papers were great. But for me I loved the active all plastic shells, easiest to load that I ever used.

18. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Olliedawg--you have a PM

19. 3357

3357 Member

I agree with CalvinMD, for Handicap, WW silver bullet, a FULL measure of shot at maximum velocity for maximum advantage.

20. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

Funny why we would remember the great smell of the old paper federal but that said, I don't I'll ever forget the horrible smell of the federal top guns. They smell like burnt chicken feathers!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.