1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best trap gun for a new shooter

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by fortwtlkqa, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fortwtlkqa

fortwtlkqa Member

Best trap gun for a new shooter???

I've got a buddy who just got into shooting trap with me a few weeks ago. He shoots a Remington 870 right now. He's thinking about buying a gun more suited to shoot trap with. Any suggestions for him on a gun for under a $1000?

Curt Kinsey

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I would start with a used BT-99. If he wants to go to doubles; Remington 1100 Trap, Beretta 391 Trap or Parallel, or you might be able to get a Citori Trap as well.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Old style Citori Trap-best gun for around $1,000 used!!

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

all good advice Curt, I might add that an 870 trap is a great gun also

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Not a thing wrong with his 870 assuming it's a trap configuration. But the Browning BT or, if he ever would consider doubles or games where two shots are needed, the Citori traps are good beginners. Autoloaders are also capable of multi-shots and must be considered.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

One that fits him and hits where he is looking. HMB

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What HMB said!!!

Add in, a Remington 1100 or a Beretta 390/391/3901 in a trap configuration.

8. fortwtlkqa

fortwtlkqa Member

The 870 he's got is just a field gun. Thanks for the advice guys.

Curt Kinsey

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I agree with Cuban...familiarity is a good thing...One of those new 870 traps are beautiful guns and one he'd be proud to be seen with ..and much more suited to trap than what he has...If he really wants to save money..get a Jack West Adjustable for the pump he has and will shoot trap as well as hunt

10. oletymer

oletymer Member

Krieghoff's are based on the original Remington 32 not the 3200.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The Remington 3200 is a great gun for the money. The lower barrel POI is adjustable and it has a very good trigger. HMB

12. TDB III

TDB III TS Member

Have him try a good used BT-99, preferably not played with to much. I started with one of the early versions because of the forend shape and shot with it for 20 yrs until I could afford a K80. Great starter gun. Almost indestructable.

13. no powder

no powder Member

I would agree with the citori trap grade advice. If it fits you might just decide to keep it! I currently own a citori trap grade 2 with excellent wood, the only changes made were a morgan pad and a recoil reducer in the buttstock. The gun is heavy, but i think it helps keep me from shooting over targets. Picked mine up for 1250.00

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'll add that I have a couple of people that I mentored early on and they've stuck to their Browning O/Us as if they were life lines. I also can brag that even more, maybe 5, shooters I talked into Rem 3200s and they, too, have stuck "to their guns" like flies on bovine fecal matter. And, I can still pick up nearly any Rem 3200 and make it shoot well. I've not seen as much happiness with the autos but truly like the SX-1s....breakemall....Bob Dodd

15. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,The first shotgun that I used to any degree for trapshooting was an 870 that was basically a field gun,I swapped the butt stock for a Monte Carlo style one I got from Cabela's and did rather well with it.After getting hooked on trapshooting and deciding I needed a "real" trap gun I went to The Grand in 1994 and tried a Browning Citori trap with Monte Carlo stock from the Browning booth.It fit me well and I was comfortable with it so I ended up buying a new one there from one of the vendors and have shot it since.You will not be able to pick up a new one for $1000 but you should be able to get a nice used one.I have no experience with semi's so I can't comment on those.I will say that you must find a gun that fits you/them.Try to determine what length of pull is needed so you don't end up with a gun you have to add spacers to or cut the stock on to fit.Mount the gun in the store with your eyes closed and then open your eyes to see where you are looking and you should be looking right down the rib.Once you have a gun that fits properly get the trigger tuned.You could buy a gun online but I would not without being able to test fit it personally.Some guys like Brownings,some like Berettas,some guys like Perazzis it all depends on what you can afford and what fits you best.Good luck and welcome!

16. fortwtlkqa

fortwtlkqa Member

Well, my buddy just picked up a 391. Liked the feel of it the best. Thanks for everyone's input.

Curt Kinsey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best gun to shoot trap with