1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Stock Work

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gasman03, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I would like some name of people who do the best stock work? Would like some feedback please.

Corey

2. Blaser F3

Blaser F3 TS Member

Dennis Devault I haven't gotten a stock done from him yet, but I am going to soon.

3. MOP

MOP Active Member

Paul Hillmer, Hudson IA

4. tnshooter111

tnshooter111 TS Member

Ron Nelly does great work 731-364-2274

5. seitz245

seitz245 TS Member

Chris Vendel hands down

6. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

What kind stock work? Do you need modifications or a stock built?

7. copper

copper Member

Kolar does a great job on there stocks nice feel would not mind a copy on my gun If I had extra money I might just buy a high rib Kolar they are sweet

8. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Tom Smith Weston,Ohio Second to none. Clyde

9. gasman03

gasman03 Member

Need stock work done. Do these guys do that?

Corey

10. butcher

butcher Member

What about Wenig?

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

2nd for Tom Smith, Westin Ohio. He always has great wood and the checkering is super.

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Tom doesn't do the checkering any more, Dennis does. Dennis is as good as anyone I have seen for checkering and Tom is great on fit and laying out the pattern. Great combo.

13. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

gary, suggest tron on this site if you are in the east. If in the south try Speedbump stockworks. Either can make adjustible combs and adjustable butt plates plus speedbump makes recoil devices that really work well. Both of these guys are on this site if you want to pm them

Bob

14. rawhohusaglocol

rawhohusaglocol Member

Consider Mark Deprez from Conesus, NY for adjustable combs, recoil pad installations, etc. Contact him at (585) 346-2425 or access his website @ mdstocks.com.

15. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Chris Vendel. Interestingly, some of the people recommended here are not even stock makers, and there's a big difference.

Jon Reitz

16. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

How about someone to help me get fitted to a Trap stock here in the Northeast? Cole Gun or Giacomo or..?

17. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

When you say best what are you asking? Since I do this for a living and am familiar with many stock makers work I'll try to give an unbiased opinion. I know it may be hard but pay attention you may get some good info.

Mark Deprez Doesn't make stocks at present but his work is top rate and his checkerg is tops at least what I have seen of it. Mark is a good chess player as well. If your at a shoot that Mark is at look him up he is a really nice guy.

Tom Smith was and may still make the nicest looking stocks. I don't know if he quit checkering or if he is subbing out any work but the work I have seen was first rate.

Chris Vendel I have seen a few stocks made by him and the work was good.

Dennis Devault Dennis is a friend and I can say with out exception he is one of the best gunfitters in the country. I doubt if you could complain about anything. The Finish he uses it's durable and shows the wood much better than most out there and on a target gun oil finishes just don't belong they won't hold up. Cindy Dennis's wife does his checkering and seems to have developed a particular style almost exclusively her own. Look at the Stocks she has checkered and you will see its good work.

bkt514- I'm going to throw my hat in to the ring as well. Joe Goldberg
    I'm in the Northeast and specialize in custom gun fitting and alterations as well as custom built target shotgun stocks. One thing I seem to do that most of the above don't is actually fitting and altering your stock If it can be properly accomplished then their is no need to spend $2000-$4000 on a new stock. Many times this involves matching wood and making new combs along with adding matching wood to the grip area and re-cutting the checkering to make a grip fit

The best advise I can give a prospective customer is if you can't meet your stock maker for a fitting then it is probably a mistake to have them make you a stock. Look at some of the work done by your prospective stock maker. Don't rely on pictures if you can't find a prior customer in your area to look at the work find some one else's work you can actually see. Most of us have customers that are willing for us to list as references across the country. If your having trouble finding work examples call your prospective stock maker and ask him for a list of his customers in your area that you might contact.

18. Setterman

Gunfitter, How will any of these guys make a stock for you without a fitting? There is a sequence for fitting, and I'd be surprised if any of these guys would build a $3,600 wood set without a fitting. The negative word of mouth advertizing from a bad fitting would be bad.

Duplicating a stock at the owner's request is another ballgame.

I know Tom Smith sends the gun in the rough home with the shooter for as long as you want. Determining a proper fit can takes multiple days/weeks of shooting, especially in regards to comb height. I believe Dennis does the same thing.

19. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Setterman-Not exactly on both counts. Dennis and myself build a pattern stock and fit it to our customer; when it's right we then make a stock. Lots if not most stock makers build stocks from dimensions and not by fitting the customer.

In fact there are many very good stock makers that are not fitters or instructors and the results are usually an imperfect fit; but a nice looking stock. The list of those that don't do a thorough process is much longer than the list of those who do. This works for a hunting gun in most instances but is a mistake on a target shotgun

You make it sound like Tom just lets his customers self fit themselves which is usually a bad route. I do know from several of Mr. Smiths customers that he has done much more than you are suggesting.

Yes depending on the customer and their needs I may indeed send a pattern stock back with a customer for a time. Usually if possible I do a final fitting for a customer with the wood stock prior to the finish and checkering however often it is not necessary.

If you look at all of the stocks out there and were to ask their owners how many of them spent at least a full day with their stock maker I think you would be surprised how few. Most of mine have and I think a proper fitting matters more than the stock making. Now I personally put as much effort in to both.
    Joe

20. Setterman

Joe, I in no way "made it sound like Tom Smith lets customers fit themselves".

I think Tom is one of the few that do it right. He has done mostly Sporting guns, and many of his guns are in the winners circle. No one can compete with his process since he has 6 trap machines at his shop and can throw any sporting bird to confirm fit. Sporting is a different ball game

You know as well as I do that the shooters capability and consistancy is a big part in confirming fit. If the shooter isn't consistant, I don't care how good the fitter is.

I've had a few custom stocks made, and even when I thought the stock was perfect, I had to add or remove shims for the perfect fit over time and shooting thousands of targets, and I am and have been AAA27AA for over 10 years.

Relieving finger pressure, proper cast, pitch, and LOP are easy. Comb height is tough when the shooter is not consistant.

A perfect fit is not always a perfect fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mark deprez bad job

mark depriz custom syock work

trap gun stock work