1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Squirrel Recipe

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BenelliM2, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenelliM2

BenelliM2 TS Member

Going hunting for tree rats for the first time this year 2marrow...just wondering what are everyones favorite recipes out there.

Jordan Dekker,FRGC Member

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I like to fix it the same way I do my chicken. Mix 50% Rice Flour with regular flour or sometimes cornmeal instead of the reg flour. ( the rice flour will give you a real nice crisp crust and it does not absorb the grease). Fry it in a pan ( I like to use lard) add a small amount of water and cover it during about half the cooking time. Salt & Pepper of course. I use a Lodge iron skillet but thats my choice of pans. I usually do it outside on the camp stove due to the grease splatter. The Rice flour is important because it really does not allow the meat skin to soak up the grease, not sure why but it works. Squirrel is some of the best but dont rush it, make sure to simmer a good 30 minutes or more on low. Turn the heat down after it browns and just let it simmer covered

3. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

From my Boy Scout days.

Clean and quarter squirrel, place in a Dutch Oven in a bath of Cream of Mushroom soup (straight from the can) and cook at the edge of the fire for a couple of hours - at lower temps. Don't let it get so hot as to burn the milk in the soup. The meat falls off the bones and tastes like dark meat chicken...ha.

It is good and tender and moist done this way. Fried or baked squirrel can get really tuff!

Kip

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Sounds like either method would work for rabbit too. My son and I are going to cook up some rabbits, and want to try something other than pan fried. He just shot a nice fat cottontail yesterday.

5. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Clean and 1/4 the squack,throw them in a pressure cooker for 15-17 min(Fox squirrels may take a little longer) .Take the squack and roll em in flour salt,and pepper.......fry em up...........they will fall off the bone.................take the drippings from your frying pan,and make gravy.While doing this you've already made biscuits.......for your squirrel gravy.Now ya got a pile of fried squack on a plate to go with your buscuits,and gravy. Good Huntin'
    D.P.Reynolds

6. folothru

folothru Member

get a 5 gal. bucket
    secure in back of cheby pick-up
    stop at the local stop& rob pick up 12 pack
    pick up ray who you ? ( he`s good at picking out good partson road kill)
    go to any unpaved county rd crack a road pop
    start looking fer good parts on squirrels after your dog whos been ridin shotgun say`s you reached your limit (ray) head back to brag at local stop & rob buy another 12 pack and drop your dog off at his house
    take bucket out back of the truck .walk into the house and slap the ole lady on the ass and ask her if the widow next door is losin weight
    grab a colt 40 out the fridge and turn on some nascar
    squrril gravy will be done in 45 min ENJOY

7. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Stew it in a crock pot with brown gravy, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, etc.... Meat falls off bones.

Real tasty!!!

8. Joe O

Joe O Active Member

I parboiled mine until it fell of the bones then made it into a pot pie recipe for a change. My wife thought it was better than the usual pheasant pot pie that I make. I usually do them like Cubancigar above. Either way they are mighty fine!
    True Story---- When my Daughter was in kindergarten they went around the class asking what everyones favorite food was, you guessed it, she said squirrel! The teacher never looked at me the same after that?
    Joe O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

squirrels squack