1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best socks for my cold toes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by billyboy07208, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

What are some toasty socks that are of normal bulk,and wont make my feet sweat either?
    Or is there little improvement over the good old plastic bag from the produce aisle?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Wool socks and Ugg fur lined boots. HMB

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Smart wool is pretty good. I have them in different weights, depending on my activity.

Cotton kills.

When I'm stand hunting I will spray the bottoms of my feet with underarm spray, then let them dry before putting my socks on. seems to help from sweating on the slow walk to my hunting area. (unscented}.

4. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Polypropylene for the first layer and then wool.

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

What HB said.

6. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

How about those air activiated foot warmers $ .99 at the hardware store to be placed on the ouside of your socks not next to skin.

Craby

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Dry ones, wool or wool blend change when your feet start to get cold.

8. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

+1 for Craby. Lighter shoes and warm feet. when you are done shooting, toss them in the trash.

9. quartering

quartering Active Member

you steal plastic produce bags from the grocery store to put on your feet instead of socks?

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

HMB, Shannon, Bill Haskins and others gave excellent advice; wool socks with thin polypropylene socks next to your feet.

I like my hunting boots a size larger than my normal size so as to leave plenty of room to wiggle my toes wearing thick wool socks. Wool retains some (40%) of its insulating properties even when damp or wet. If you put on two pairs of socks and cramp your feet, IMO you will soon get cold feet. Wet cotton I believe has a negative insulating value.

Years ago I invested about $150 in some Timberland 1000 gram Thinsalate 12" Gore-Tex leather boots in size 12, one size bigger than my normal size 11. Using Norwegian made thick ragg wool socks, I was comfortable in my deer stand all day long, even in snow and temperature below 20 degrees. I used to hunt when the temperature dropped to near zero but that was more than my face and other body parts could take.

It seems counterintuitive but years ago I discovered that rubber galoshes, the old metal buckle kind, over tennis shoes wearing cotton socks kept my feet really warm while walking long distances. I believe that the key was that they kept my feet dry and with adequate wiggle room.

Ed Ward

11. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Under Armour. They work for me.

Matt Ski

12. Fanugee

Fanugee Member

Filson,LaCrosse,SmartWool are all good choices and come in several styles based on activity

13. build4u

build4u Member

I live in Michigan. I spend a lot of time outdoors as a builder and sportsmen. Polypropolene liners are great advice. Get Merino Wool socks for the outer. Heavier Merino ones you will not need the liner and Merino wool does not itch. For Day to Day work socks they have three packs of Merino wool socks at Costco or Sams Club. Three pack for like $12.00. I have more expensive heavier ones for Ice fishing and I hardly use them any more. two years in on the Costco ones and they are holding up great wearing them every day in the winter. You can get Polypropolene glove liners for under your shooting gloves as well thin but add a lot.

14. ctreay

ctreay Member

I used to take the styrofoam meat trays and cut them to my foot size and slip them in the bottom of my boots.

ctreay

15. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

Felt slip in insoles,good down to about 0

And I live in Alaska for what it's worth.

16. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Alpaca socks are great but run around $20/pr. Larry Evans

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

What ever happened to the socks with the batteries?

18. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Merino wool socks and Keene insulated boots.

19. romie

romie Active Member

Shannon, Bill Haskins and others gave excellent advice; wool socks with thin polypropylene socks next to your feet.

the key is two pair one thin inside wool outside this helps for me. and the felt pad on the bottom might be another good addition if you have room in your shoe.Sweat freezes you.

20. open choke

open choke TS Member

Cotton kills!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best socks for cold toes

how come my feet are cold with socks on

socks for zero degree weather that wont make feet sweat

toes are cold even with socks on

toes cold in wool socks