1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best So-Cal Shooter Ever

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Chango2, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

While waiting to shoot a round of practice trap, some of us were having a bs session regarding who has been the best Southern California trap shooter ever. I came up with about three on my short list regarding all time: Gene Robertson, Phil Ross, Jimmy Heller in no particular order. I am sure somebody or somebodies else could fill out this short list with more shooters and different opinions...it's a subjective thing too, I realize that. But it's a fun topic IMO.

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It's Dan Bonillas and it's not even close.

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

My son is at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, and we went down to visit him (from SE Idaho) a few weeks ago. The route we took was I-80 through Reno to Sacramento, then down I-5 to the exit just before Los Banos, then over to Monterey. Dan Bonillas has lived in Los Banos for years, if I'm not mistaken. When I went to graduate school in Pasadena many years ago, Los Banos would not have been considered part of Southern California - in fact it is about 300 miles north of Los Angeles and SoCal.

4. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Dan is not a So. Cal. shooter. If you consider him one, he wins. Jake

5. VNVET

VNVET Member

I'm not sure if Los Banos is considered So Cal but I seem to remember shooting with him at El Monte sometime around 1977 and possible at Oak Tree about the same time. In fact this was just after the time of his record breaking 1800 target "run". I got in a shootoff with him and he offered to split the purse. I said "hell no, we're going to shoot"..........well, he took home the purse. Phil Ross was doing well at that time, as was Terry Bilby and some others I can't recall, but I would have to say in my opinion Dan Bonillas is the best there has ever been in the state of CA. He was 21 times State Champion. Who else can say that. Go here to check out his record:

http://www.traphof.org/inductees/bonillas_dan.htm

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

My vote goes to Dan Bonillas as well. His lightning speed always amazed me.

And in my opinion always cordial if you said Hi.

Regards Gerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.