1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best "Smithy" shop to refurb old Citori

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by CalvinMD, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Best

Howdy folks...I'm sure its been asked before..but I'm looking for recommendations and references concerning shops who are thee cat's meow in restoring worn out Brownings, and get it back in my lifetime of course...I have a Citori GTI and a late 60's BT that was choked by Herb Orre...they are both weathered and loose, but the 99 is an absolute angel of death to claybirds...thanks in advance for the info...also if you have pics or can take some of work you had done by them,... by all means share them,..love to see some examples of their work

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Best

Thanks Pat...have you ever had any worked over of your own?..would also like to hear some stories and experiences telling me what they sent in and for what...and the results they got back...a chance to slober on some refurbed beauties too

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Best

I had a 1983 Citori rebuilt by Laurance Pylinski (Pylinski Arms in Virginia) right at the PA State Shoot. He rebuilt the action and the locking mechanism (including a renewing the notch in the barrel) so it now functions like new. I'm quite pleased.

Mike

4. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Best

Arts Gunshop, as good as any, better than most.........Roger

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Best

I'd be a little suspect of Art's Gunshop. I sent in a set of Citori barrels to be fitted, and the barrels were fine when they started, but when the gunsmith broke the monoblock, they suddenly became defective barrels and my problem, not theirs. Likewise, I sent in a Grade VI forearm with a hairline crack for repair and they lost all the engraved forearm metal. The repair to the hairline crack consists of a bead of glue. So far they haven't stepped up to accept any responsibility.

6. WZsembik

WZsembik Member

Best

Calvin,

I had Art rebuild a BT-99 Plus about 3 years ago. he performed all mechanical work - not cosmetic restoration. Turn-around time was about 2-3 weeks, price was very fair - just as explained when I spoke with him prior to sending the shotgun in. It went in really loose - came home feeling new. That was MY experience. I still shoot the BT today - maybe 15K rounds later - still chugging along.

I have also seen comments posted here that mention nice work restoring older Superposed and Citori's - cosmetic and mechanical - all to their owners' satisfaction.

Search on ART, ART's or Hillsboro and you should get some hits.

Good Luck.

Bill

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Best

Not mentioned yet, but I HEARD that Skeet's also does a nice job on Brownings. They advertise $99.00 to tighten up a browning on a 99 I think. I have not had any dealings with them myself so all hear-say. Break-em all. Jeff

8. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Best

For those of you that have had this type of work done, approximately what did the procedure set you back? I have a 1979 vintace Citori Combo that needs to be tightened up again. What is the procedure for tightening up the pivot? An oversized pin? The lever is not too far off center yet but you really better be ready when you flip the lever. The barrels fall like right now!

Jeff

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Best

GodEx,

Tightening the slop in the opening of the gun requires that the forend lug, located on the bbl, have a bead of weld added to it, and then refitting the forend to the rec/bbl package.

It's very highly unlikely that the joint roll/hinge pin is worn.

DO NOT let anyone talk you into peening the lug or the forend iron. First off, it's only a temporary fix (the metal WILL move back) and if done poorly (as most that I've seen) can look terrible.

Doug Braker

10. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Best

Art's by and far the best in the business for Brownings.

11. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Best

My Citori is at Midwest right now. Most of the Browning owners at my club send theirs there. Hopefully I get it back in two weeks or so.

12. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Best

Midwest tightened up mu Citori plus last year at this time. Three week turnaround and they kept in touch with me by e-mail on the progress. Their website gives you an idea on the prices. They did what was needed, with my approval, and the work is excellent. A reblue and such may take longer than three weeks but if they give you a date it will be done, count on it. They are great to deal with.

I would also trust Mr. Pylinski as I asked him for an opinion on my Citori at last years Open and he gave me the straight facts, although he did not have time to rebuild my gun at that time. I hear his work is excellent and I will vouch for his honesty on his opinion of my gun. He was exactly correct.

13. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Best

Now that we know the where, again I ask for those of you who have had the work done...... What did it set you back??

Thanks!

Jeff

14. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Best

TT

The reason for asking the price is that if the cost of the service plus what I have into the gun is more than I can buy another one for, I will likely just keep this combo as a loaner, back up, etc. and just look for a tighter one. The gun holds no sentimental value to me.

Jeff

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Best

Jeff,

If you're looking at just tightening things up, I'll tell you what I charge. The other shops I believe will be about the same.

rebuilding the locking boltand fitting it to both bbl's......$125

tightening up both bbl's to the receiver and forend....$100 for each bbl.

If at the same time you wish to have all the springs replaced (while the locking bolt is repaired) you pay just for the cost of the springs. Cleaning and oiling is included in the locking bolt rebuilding.

Doug Braker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.