1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best sillhouette shooting gun (.22)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bubba68, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba68

bubba68 Member

I'm sure there are a few sillhouette shooters out there. Hopefully you can help me with gun selection.

I've started messing around with sillhouette shooting at the club - and having fun with it. I've been using a .22 semi-auto from my youth.

What are the better moderately priced bolt-action .22's out there? I don't mind spending $500 to $700 for the gun - or more if it's the right one. I have a couple scopes I can take from other guns and use temporarily. I plan on shooting in Hunter class, so I think I am limited to 8.5 lbs. including the scope.

Been looking on the web at the Ruger 77/22, Weatherby XXII and the old Kimber 82. Someone mentioned the CZ 452 - but have a hard time equating CZ with quality/accuracy - or is there no basis in that statement?

With trap guns, I learned a long time ago to try as many guns as possible to see which ones shoot where you look. But, I believe that is different with rifles.

Any thoughts??????

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The only two worth looking at in that price range is the CZ 452/453 or the thumbhole Savage heavy barrel w/ accutrigger. Just do a little readin at rimfirecentral and you'll see what I'm talking about.

ss

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Where we shoot there are three guns that seem to rule: first is a pair of older Kimber match 22s all tricked out with muzzle tuners, second are the totally unstock target 10-22s, and finally a few other guns like some old Anschutzs. We shoot fifty, one hundred, one twenty five and one thirty six ....some are yards, some are meters...five banks of eight targets, one of ten prairie dogs at 136. There were a couple of fifty straights this summer, one with the aforementioned Kimber, one with a 10-22 which may have an original part besides the receiver. The CZs do quite well, in any form. I just got started and use my old Anschutz 141 sporter and just picked up a 10-22 target.

Gonna shoot the pistol part next year now that I have my contender set up with a bull barrel/match chamber and a 2-7X scope...on calm days it will do an inch at a hundred.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

A marlin will shoot as good as any- and much cheaper

I used to shoot a ruger 22 factory target- with the bull barrel- pretty darn accurate and you could get the trigger worked on to your satisfaction

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Bubba, Although long since discontinued the Remington 541-T with either the standard or heavy barrel can still be found in great condition. I've never competed with mine, but after group testing 10 or so different ammo's I found a round that delivered just what I wanted (accuracy and knockdown). Most any rifle will perform well when fed the ammo it likes. Best of luck in your search. Cheers-Graham.

6. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I shoot an old Kimber of Oregon 82 in light rifle class. It is an excellent choice if you can find one. Anschutz 54 is the standard in heavy class. Anschutz also makes some lighter guns on the 62 action that work well.

jim brown

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I had an old Savage-Anschutz 64 single shot target rifle with a two ounce trigger and a 6.5-20x target scope that was incredibly accurate. Used it on sage rats out to 200 yards, as long as there was no wind. One of the few guns I regret trading off. These were 100% Anschutz, but Savage marketed them in the USA at the time, and they were stamped SAVAGE or SAVAGE-ANSCHUTZ.

8. sxs28ga

sxs28ga TS Member

Look at the Thompson center 22 auto target model - mine shoots almost MOA - is not fussy about ammo - J Mroczka

9. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Check out the CZ-453 Varmint. It's a 452 Varmint with a set-trigger. The Anschutz are a good bet, but they're a lot more money.

10. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I just finished a gun that started as a 10/22. It is custom made with triggers that have a 1.5 lbs. and can be adjusted lower if desired. Also has 16" SS bull barrel and that thing is lights out. The groups are no bigger than a the size of a dime with the wright ammo. I got $1200 in the gun so I can see where buying a stock gun could be good for other people but I like building my own.

11. bubba68

bubba68 Member

Well, I knew there would be several sillhouette shooters out there!

I appreciate all of the comments, I am learning something from each one.

12. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

It is really pretty hard to do better than the CZ452 or the Savage heavy barrel with accu-trigger. They shoot better than most people are capable of shooting and they don't cost an arm and leg. The Savage trigger can easily be tuned down to 1/2 pound if you want. Same for the CZ but a gunsmith should do the work on the CZ if your not familiar with trigger work.

13. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

14. 870classic

870classic TS Member

bubba68, like "Brian in Oregon" I too have a couple of Savage Anschutz 64's with 6-18 power scopes on them. Twenty plus years ago I competed with and won using these rifles. They are accurate beyond my capabilities. This last summer I tried a Kimber 82 with great success. They are well made rifles. FYI, Within the Metallic Silhouette arena, there are a couple of classes. "Hunter" and "open". With the Hunter class I would suggest the Ruger 77/22, Remington 541's or Anschutz 141's. Within the open class, the Anschutz 64's or 54's or Kimber 82's are a great way to go. You can usually find all of them on Gun Broker or Guns America for a fairly reasonable price, even these days. Try every gun you can before making your final purchase. Once you make your rifle selection, take your time and purchase all the different boxes of every standard and high velocity ammo out there. Take a few days and range test the ammo/rifle at the various distances to make sure you have the best accuracy possible at every distance.

I went through hundreds of rounds before I found a rifle/ammo combination that worked great out to 200 yards. Have a great time.

Best regards,
    Chris

15. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet----my gun is for the NRA open class so won't help you in your decision, but since the heavier guns have been talked about.... it is a heavy single shot, the Walther KKMS Thumbhole stock. The quality of this gun is insane. The trigger adjusts easily from the outside ---one screw for travel and another for poundage and remains reliable no matter the setting. The stock is very comfortable (at least for me).

I haven't shot that guns in several years or even thought about it, but reading this thread makes me want to dust off my set of silhouettes and head out and shoot a few. I was lucky in that my shooting partner from years ago was a welder and made me up a full set of the 22 scale silhouettes and also a set of 4 swingers.

Good luck on your rifle selection.

16. FLIP

FLIP Member

love my CZ 452 its a nice 22 more accurate then i will ever be. its nothing like there shotguns, also check out rimfire centrel

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Marlon, what are the issues with the Encore?

18. redbone99

redbone99 Member

I used an Anschutz 64 in the open class and a Remington 510 single shot in hunter class. I had weaver 15X on both. The 64 would shoot 3/4 in. at 100 meters all day and the 510 1&1/4. I had local gunsmith put scope blocks on the 510 as it was not grooved. So don't overlook some of these older single shots that can still be had at reasonable price.When my local club gave up on silhouette shooting I sold them both,big mistake.

19. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Don't let the letters "CZ" bother you...I did for too long. My basic CZ 452 is a far better gun than my previous 22's (Ruger 77/22, Savage, Multiple Marlin's). I kick myself repeatedly when I think of the times I turned my head to CZ's.

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Like deercreek, I too turned away from CZ too long also. Out of the box CZs will surprise you with common ammo choices. Once you find the ammo that particular rifle likes, you have a match striking .22 cal rifle!! Great sights make finding the right ammo and shooting a .22 cal. rifle to your potential easier too. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
anchaut 141 or remmington 541t for silouette
remmington 541 t for silouette shooting
remmington 541 t or cz 452
silhouette shooting forums
silouette shooting forum
walther kk ms

walther kkms

walther kkms rifle