1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best siding for house

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by g7777777, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you are re siding a house- what is the best siding?

thanks

regards from Iowa

Gene

2. BudLight

BudLight Member

Gene, Check the websie above about HardiPlank. Needs painting about every 4 years but some have a 50 year warranty. It is heavier though ! Ron

3. copper

copper Member

Gene I have installed the hardi plank looks much better than vinal, score and snap they make trim also you can order pre stained get smoth embossed wood looks fake, nice look ,roofing nail gun installed more exspensive than vinal but not terrible. differen,t exsposer size of lapwhat you see. Depending on style of house, best to get some magazines and look at similar houses as yours ,find what you like you have to look at it every day. Was a while ago 8 years maybe twice the price of vinal both labor and material.

4. 1oz

1oz Member

For Lap siding I've been happy with the James Hardie with the wood grain look seems to hold paint pretty good also . In the past they made different face sizes I used 5 inch face . It takes alittle more than a pocket knife to get threw.

5. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Brick !

6. John 53

John 53 Member

BRICK

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

one vote here for Plaster!!! Break-em all. Jeff

8. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

9. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Cypress. Still going strong in Savanna, Ga over 200 years. No termite destruction and doesn't need painting. Cost may be another thing. D Winter

10. letts

letts TS Member

Up here in the frozen north, Products sim. to Hardi plank are begining to have problems with swelling at the joints etc. I would do a search before I would use the product. Nothing is perfect and a product that is good in one area may not stand up in another. The web will help with your questions.

Letts

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Old Doc, I could build a house for what it would cost to use that wood at todays prices, even if you could find it (not). Kidding aside, "Letts" has it right, it depends more on where you live as to what is the best for your climate. Break-em all. Jeff

12. gotbass

gotbass Member

I love my brick. All that money saved on painting can be spent on shooting.

13. shadow

shadow Active Member

Another vote for BRICK!!!!

14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Gene, I re-sided my old farmhouse 29 years ago with vinyl coated steel siding and it has held up beyond my expectations. The color has not faded any that I can tell and the only problem I have had is where I let the ivy grow over it in one small area. If you are going by sometimes stop and check it out. Its US Steel siding and mine is double 5" in obvious yellow.

15. bird_buster

bird_buster TS Member

BIG AZZ LOGS!!

16. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I can't believe anyone would build or redo a home and put something on they had to paint. What are they thinking?

17. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Another vote for a fiber-cement type siding (Hardi is just a trade name). It looks very much like wood, come in lap, vertical, or panel (makes a nice board and batten) The secret to this type of siding is having it pre-primed by the company before it arrives on the job site. Also, all cut ends need a coat of paint and all butt joints should be caulked before the final coat of paint is applied. Proper installation with a correct underlayment and proper venting, as with any siding, is the reason for a long and durable life. Living in NW Mich, fiber-cement is a great deterrent to woodpeckers and hail storms. Vinyl siding is good for about 20 years max. before it gets brittle and is so faded you forget what color you ordered. Brick is a great siding but can't be used on homes that don't have a brick ledge at the foundation to support them.

18. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Brick is not great in California. We shake it right off every few years

19. RWS52

RWS52 TS Member

We've been in the siding supply business over 40 yrs. Based on the fact that you live in Iowa, vinyl coated steel siding, hands down, you're in what the industry considers the hail belt. Ten years ago, we would've agreed with the others regarding Hardi-Plank. However, recently we've seen multitudes of problems with this product, delaminating, efflouresence, micro-checking in the primer base coat, and dimensional instability. Granted, most of these problems are installation related but they wouldn't be a problem with steel. These problems wouldn't show up in say Florida or Texas but with our weather in the midwest, the product just hasn't performed as it was sold. We have Hardie on our homes and have had no problems but you have to be on top of the installers during the job, no matter what they tell you. Hardie has changed their printed instructions many times in the past 10yrs. Google Hardi-Plank and print the installation instructions(4 pgs.)before you decide. BTW, you can brick an existing home w/out a brickledge, Google Eldorado Stone, look and learn.

20. warren

warren Member

Anybody ever use that Faux Imitation Stone siding????? Is it any good????

warren

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best siding for skeet shooting houses